General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smurf46
(member) Fri 26-Dec-14 12:56:21
Print Post

"Migrating" mobile service from Orange to EE

[link to this post]

Like it's a different country! Anyone else still finding it a minefield?

It's taken a week to set up the online account, but the EE sim has a different number which should have reverted to the old Orange number. The EE sim number isn't recognised which would be OK but the Orange number calls are all redirected to the answerphone, which can only be accessed from the landline as the Orange sim has been disconnected, as expected. No calls are possible to or from the new EE sim, except calling emergency numbers, which doesn't need a sim anyway. Data is all OK. Reading around I see it's been like this for nearly 15 years. BT, if you buy them make sure it's for a quid. The amount you'll have to fork out sorting them out. The due diligence should be interesting, the amount of cr8p it should uncover.

Just to clarify, I was told no activation by me was required, as it would all be handled on EE equipment "within 30 minutes". However if I try to activate it tells me the EE sim isn't recognised. Which is how it should be, as the number should now be the old Orange number. Except it isn't. If you catch my drift.So I have the account, data and no phone service (incoming or outgoing) except for an operating Orange answerphone, apparently. This is two weeks after the supposed switchover.

At least it's Christmas. Perhaps they should be renamed Something Somewhere, with a small "o" in the middle? It seems the usual story, their admin couldn't be more cumbersome if it tried. They beat BT hands down on bureaucracy, any day.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Fri 26-Dec-14 22:33:48)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Dec-14 04:35:52
Print Post

Re: "Migrating" mobile service from Orange to EE

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Sounds as if online account setup is s broken. The phone service should have transferred from Orange sim to EE sim the same day including number. My friends just put EE sim in older phone and it happened.

I would complain or contact executive office as something has gone wrong.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Dec-14 00:13:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Sounds as if online account setup is broken.
It is and seemingly always has been. There's a constant stream of users who start setting up their a/c's and it crunches to a halt with a program error like 'Landing Error' or 'Association Error' or even more obscure.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Dec-14 14:41:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It is and seemingly always has been.

Interesting as I know 4 Orange to EE users and 3 T-mobile to EE users (including myself) whom it worked for.

Just shows how IT is that annoying smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Sat 03-Jan-15 11:18:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It is and seemingly always has been.

Interesting as I know 4 Orange to EE users and 3 T-mobile to EE users (including myself) whom it worked for.

Just shows how IT is that annoying smile

Account set up was successful, but took a week before I could set it up. Everything works, on-line account, data (from day 1) and texts, phoning out (with right number) but sim still shows old number and no incoming phone calls which go to the old Orange answerphone (which doesn't notify me on the new sim).

I believe the number switch from the temporary number of the new sim to the "old" Orange number has to be handled manually, but not for T-mobile customers as they use the same software, and they're still working through the Christmas queue but only during business hours on working weekdays. Like the Post Office of old! Never mind, the workaround is for contacts to text and get me to phone them back. Like the GPO in the early part of last century, when you contacted the operator to connect a call for you! (I even think there was one exchange locally where it may have persisted into the 1980s).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Jan-15 16:53:14
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Account set up was successful, but took a week before I could set it up. Everything works, on-line account, data (from day 1) and texts, phoning out (with right number) but sim still shows old number and no incoming phone calls which go to the old Orange answerphone (which doesn't notify me on the new sim).

On most phones you can change the number on the SIM yourself. There are apps on the Play Store, and on iOS you can edit in Settings->Phone.

I believe the number switch from the temporary number of the new sim to the "old" Orange number has to be handled manually, but not for T-mobile customers as they use the same software, and they're still working through the Christmas queue but only during business hours on working weekdays. Like the Post Office of old! Never mind, the workaround is for contacts to text and get me to phone them back. Like the GPO in the early part of last century, when you contacted the operator to connect a call for you! (I even think there was one exchange locally where it may have persisted into the 1980s).

Bizarre! A friend of mine switched O to EE on 19th Dec, and just plugged the new SIM into the new phone and turned on. Old phone and SIM stopped working and new one started and no calls to customer services required.

Print Thread

Jump to