General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User golfcity
(newbie) Sat 27-Dec-14 19:19:46
Print Post

Mobile BB to replace Fixed

[link to this post]

Hello,
Hoping this is the correct area for my post:
I am evaluating the possibility of replacing my increasingly expensive fixed broadband with a 4G service. I have acquired an EE Sim with the free 100gb allowance to make tests. I have bought a suitable USB dongle. I am getting impressive results both testing in a macbook pro and in a Draytek 2830 router. Both devices returning around 30/40ms ping, 30/50mb down, 20mb up. However, with the SIM in the router and running the Ookla speednet test, there is a delay of around 30 seconds before the test starts which then performs OK. This delay is apparent when request a 'page' on a browser and connecting to, say, Spotify, or iPlayer. When these streaming/downloading services eventually start, they are working perfectly. i.e Spotify streams without any issues and iPlayer, if set to download, rapidly accomplishes this. TV streams fine. With the SIM in the macbook the experience almost instantaneous. Could there be some settings I can apply in the router to eliminate the delay I have described.
My objective is to replace the ADSL with 4G in the router and hence my entire home network.
Hope this is clear and thanks in advance for any advice!!
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sat 27-Dec-14 20:23:51
Print Post

Re: Mobile BB to replace Fixed

[re: golfcity] [link to this post]

Have looked at this idea many times but can't make it financially viable. The cheapest I could find for mobile broadband was £20 for 15GB, with 3 when I am paying sky £21.40 for unlimited BB and calls. Until I can find a 3/4G connection at way less than fixed I can't see how to make pay. Then you need to add that 3/4G can slow to a snails pace much slower than fixed, when the mast gets hammered, early evening sometimes right upto 7/8pm.
Standard User golfcity
(newbie) Sat 27-Dec-14 20:38:32
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Hi, Janitor, thanks for replying. Appreciate your comments on the costs but it will not be like this for long and BT fixed line costs me almost £60 pm now and I can't have Fibre (18 mb Max). At this stage I'm trying to establish the performance difference of the same 4G SIM in a MacBook versus the Draytek router. The other thing to mention is that speed is fairly constant. Just ran Ookla on the MAC and got 40ms/42u/31d. If I can get the router to work 'properly' with the 4G, then I can run the home network with all the devices/airplay stuff etc etc on the SIM over a lengthy period of time and see what the experience is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sat 27-Dec-14 21:00:35
Print Post

Still don't see how you plan to make this work, as the 100GB sim is a limited edition, after that you are going to need a mobile BB package that has a large enough capacity, to make it viable, unless of course you are a very light user, which would allow you to make it work, most of the packages on the market at the moment, would not give you much change even from £60. I did actually manage to run a 3G home BB connection for about 6 weeks, while I waited for BT to fit a fixed line, it worked ok, but was a nightmare between 4 and 6pm, as the mast got swamped and was like being back on dial up. Was running two iMacs one MacBook air and a couple of iPads,
Standard User golfcity
(newbie) Sat 27-Dec-14 21:04:12
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Janitor, thanks again for your response. Are you able to offer any insight into my query concerning the issue with the router?
Thanks.
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sat 27-Dec-14 21:16:36
Print Post

Unfortunately can't really offer much help, I had a fritz box router, that accepted a old type usb mobile BB modem, the the whole setup worked well for what it was used for, which was just email and browsing, was of course trying to keep usage down to stay within my data limit, didn't try Iplayer or spotify, and apart from fixed line BB didn't really have anything to compare it to, but was only getting 6mbps on a speed test, but this was all wireless, and of course was only for a short period.

Edited by janitor (Sat 27-Dec-14 21:17:24)

Standard User Liebstrom
(newbie) Sat 27-Dec-14 21:58:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by golfcity:
Janitor, thanks again for your response. Are you able to offer any insight into my query concerning the issue with the router?
Thanks.

I've had some similar 'pauses' occasionally using the EE SIM card in a MiFi, but the throughput is fine once it gets going. I wonder if it could be a DNS issue. You could try configuring your router to use a public DNS server.

But as Janitor said, I can't see a way to make this work financially. Although my 4G speed is way faster than my 1.7Mbps ADSL I'd hate to think of my data bill after watching a series on Netflix!
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Dec-14 22:34:42
Print Post

Hi golfcity,

I am also thinking about Mobile BB to replace a fixed line - as infinity seems to be corectly named in regard to when it will arrive!

I get a similar delay using a Three sim-card (3G) with a TP-Link mifi unit. The delay is not DNS related because a "Test Again" on the TBB Speedtester will not involve DNS for the second and subsequent tests.

The delay seems to be about two seconds, but as the TBB speedtest has no measurements on the time axis I can not be sure.

The next time I have the sim card in a USB Dongle (lap top or DrayTek 2820 router), I will look again for the delay.

Where did you get the EE sim cad?

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User golfcity
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 09:28:58
Print Post

[re: Liebstrom] [link to this post]

Hello Liebstrom,
Thanks for your comments. The key issue is the difference in performance between using the sim/dongle directly in a MacBook compared to configuring my Draytek router to use the sim as a WAN. Just to re-iterate the router appears to be taking around 20 seconds to connect to the internet whereas the MacBook is more or less instant. I have timed the 20 seconds myself with a stopwatch!. There must be some settings in the router that need looking at.
Standard User golfcity
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 09:38:48
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Hello, Sandgrounder,
As per my response to Liebstrom, the delay before the router connects to the internet is around 20 seconds, which I've timed with a stopwatch.
The EE Sim card was 'The Dan and Phil Limited Edition Sim' which came with 100gb free for two months (200gb). No account set up required. Unfortunately they've dished them all out according to the website. When I saw this, I thought it was ideal to do my testing without getting bogged down with contracts etc. The price of data is falling so 4G will become a viable alternative to fixed in the not to distant future.
Please update me with any findings.
Thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to