General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wytco0
(learned) Tue 13-Jan-15 16:51:09
Print Post

Default 4G Broadband - more than 100GB per Month - Any optio

[link to this post]

Hi I am trying to find if there are any UK 4G providers that will allow larger data amounts per per month? but I can't find any.

Currently I am using EE with a 15GB per month limit, I can upgrade to 30GB per month with EE but they don't seem to do more.

Using my ADSL I normally use about 125 GB per month so Ideally I would like something that allowed that or more.

Is there such a thing available?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jan-15 17:44:31
Print Post

Re: Default 4G Broadband - more than 100GB per Month - Any o

[re: wytco0] [link to this post]

You missed the 100GB free SIMs last November I guess.

Think I've seen a 50GB allowance on EE site, but it is being slow today, so not going to go digging around

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wytco0
(learned) Tue 13-Jan-15 18:11:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yes I only found out about that today ;-(

Think I've seen a 50GB allowance on EE site, but it is being slow today, so not going to go digging around
OK Thanks I will have a look for that.

There must be some users (probably in semi rural areas like me) who have switched to mobile broadband ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fearby
(committed) Tue 13-Jan-15 19:58:03
Print Post

I have made the switch as even with bonded ADSL I was only getting 3-4MB bandwidth.

I am on EE 50GB allowance for £50 a month using a Huawei B593s-2 router as modem and then an Asus RT-N66u with a VPN for my LAN.

It is good apart from in stormy weather when 3 bars of 4G became 1 bar of 3G. I was trying to find a 4G USB stick that would work with my Asus router with the Merlin firmware.
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Jan-15 20:39:39
Print Post

EE do offer larger packages for business connections but the price does rise with the data amount.

Paul
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Sun 29-Mar-15 17:03:31
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Is this still current? I can't find anything above 25Gb per month on the EE website, and an online chat (with a not hugely knowledgeable rep, I admit) seemed to confirm that.

Basically we have an application where we need a minimum of 50 and maybe up to 100Gb per month. We also need a static IP.

Why so much data? Basically we are trying to replace a massively slow broadband connection in a busy medium-sized office. 4G coverage is excellent at the location and speed tests very impressive. Obviously it is going to cost an arm and a leg and possibly even more, but if we can't find a product with enough data allowance the whole project is a non-starter.
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Mar-15 17:22:13
Print Post

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

I think I am upfront enough here not to break any forum rules. I work for EE in Corporate sales and if you want to PM me your contact details I will see how best we can assist.

Paul
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Sun 29-Mar-15 17:42:13
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul. If it is beneficial to the posters then surely it can't be against the rules smile PMing you now.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 31-Mar-15 16:11:28
Print Post

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

Look at the small business section, and if it comes to it, tell them you are a sole trader.

50GB is £41.67+VAT (so £50) a month. I've just ordered 7 of them for work.

If you go Sim only, talk to carphone warehouse instead, as we managed to get just over £200 cashback per sim for going Sim only from them, EE would not budge on pricing.

80GB is, from memory, £100 a month. It goes up in silly increments and you'd be better buying two sims and swapping them midway through the month.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Apr-15 11:56:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was only 100GB for a couple of months as far as I remember, not an "all time" offer.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Apr-15 12:02:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by wytco0:
Hi I am trying to find if there are any UK 4G providers that will allow larger data amounts per per month? but I can't find any.

Currently I am using EE with a 15GB per month limit, I can upgrade to 30GB per month with EE but they don't seem to do more.

Using my ADSL I normally use about 125 GB per month so Ideally I would like something that allowed that or more.

Is there such a thing available?

Thanks

You can just buy additional data packs on EE though the My EE side. Each extra 10GB is £15.99 - it might not be cheap, but it can be done. I have a 40GB a month SIM (20GB doubled on a deal), and if I run out I can add more that way.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 05-Apr-15 00:29:00
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Correct but it was free xD

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest
Standard User cmrayer
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 11:39:33
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

We ran an office of about 60 people on a mixture of 2x4G and 3x ADSL for a month and it worked but was pretty slow. Once you get more than about 3 people on a 4G router (we had commercial ones with multiple external high gain antennas and all internal connections were 1GbE switched) then it degrades to decent ADSL2+ performance. The single user speedtest was 40Mb down and 22Mb up with 40ms latency for the 4G and the routers were rated for 128 concurrent users with 20k+ concurrent connections so you would have expected better but that is what we got.

If you have a business mobile agreement with either O2 or Vodafone (or maybe more) you can switch to shared data. O2 do a 150GB option that we used.

Sky FTTC - 38Mb/9.5Mb
Standard User andaroo79
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 18:35:21
Print Post

three have all you can eat data which my parents use anything for 10-40 gigs a month on payg.

do you have a three signal where you are?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-May-15 00:30:58
Print Post

[re: andaroo79] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andaroo79:
three have all you can eat data which my parents use anything for 10-40 gigs a month on payg.

do you have a three signal where you are?

Not true anymore, tethering is now restricted to 2Gb monthly on Three.
People on legacy plans which they have had for years may very well still have totally unlimited although anything new is 2Gb cap on the "all you can eat data" for tethering.
Standard User andaroo79
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 08:09:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

this is very easily bypassed on a phone runing kitkat.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-May-15 11:52:13
Print Post

this is very easily bypassed on a phone runing kitkat.

Three are getting better and better at detecting tethering.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-May-15 11:53:36
Print Post

Is it ideal to use a mobile phone as a dedicated router for an entire house though?

It's not got anywhere near as much range and often mobile devices begin to function poorly or give up with more than 4 devices connected. Due to this many mobiles will cap the connections at four users.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-May-15 11:54:51)

Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Sun 10-May-15 21:16:15
Print Post

he did say PAYG and I can confirm it still lets you use alot.

Contracts are 2GB tethering as you said
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Sun 10-May-15 21:16:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Is it ideal to use a mobile phone as a dedicated router for an entire house though?

I've used it in the past on a Mifi with 6 people off it and it has never been throttled.
Standard User andaroo79
(newbie) Mon 11-May-15 10:01:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

maybe so, but at this moment in time, the phone isn't reporting to three that there is anything tethered to the phone.

Dont forget that three rely on the devices ability to report it, threes system merely responds to this.

The OP asked if people were using mobile broadband to transfer a large volume of data. There we have it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-May-15 18:38:03
Print Post

maybe so, but at this moment in time, the phone isn't reporting to three that there is anything tethered to the phone.

Dont forget that three rely on the devices ability to report it, threes system merely responds to this.

The OP asked if people were using mobile broadband to transfer a large volume of data. There we have it.

Three also use deep packet inspection and look at the end point of the traffic and know that if you're for example accessing the Windows Update servers (or Apple Update, or CentOS YUM repositories) then this isn't likely to be phone traffic. TrafficSense is three's name for this platform, and all the networks do it.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User andaroo79
(newbie) Mon 11-May-15 19:32:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Maybe the end point/specific urls and domains.

They can slow down the throughput of certain traffic, but I question the fact you think they are using deep packet inspection. A VPN quickly makes this process a pointless endeavour. Wouldnt a VPN slow down as well?

A quick look at the vodafone website for example shows that that they do not prioritise or slow down any protocols or services...........

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents...
Standard User slowbroadband2
(newbie) Thu 21-May-15 18:00:13
Print Post

For those of you confused about whether EE still offer 4G Home Broadband - they do.

I got it last month and I'm really happy with it. You don't need a line installed - all you need is 4G signal. It's also really easy to set up - you just plug it in and you have internet in seconds.

I got the 20GB plan for £25 a month, and I've found that to be more than enough. If you think you need more, I know they also offer 30GB for £30 or 50GB for £40.

They don't really advertise the product but I managed to find some information on it here - hope that helps!

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/family-home/home-broadband...
Standard User tomiot
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-17 15:20:47
Print Post

Hi

Im sure that you got sorted out, but just in case your 4G SIM contract is up for renewal I found a new contract SIM that offers 100GB per month of inclusive data per month for £70.00 + VAT

It was available for O2 and Vodafone networks - only downside is that it is for 24 months - but 100GB 4G SIM for £70.00 per month is pretty good value these days

I found it hidden away on a website when I was looking for a new antenna for my 4G router - I asked them if it was real and they confirmed it was.
Standard User mHm
(newbie) Tue 21-Mar-17 11:31:11
Print Post

[re: tomiot] [link to this post]

Apparently you can get the £75 offer down to half by using this discount code: k01-RENZ-2RTW-EXZT
And it's a 12 month plan, not 24 (per today 21 March 2017)

Also, the price is INCL of VAT.

What I found odd is that they seem to insist you buy this strange window sill router, no option of not getting it if you already have your own 4G router.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 12:37:06
Print Post

[re: mHm] [link to this post]

can you PM me the site please? I am interested
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 19:04:29
Print Post

[re: mHm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mHm:
Apparently you can get the £75 offer down to half by using this discount code: k01-RENZ-2RTW-EXZT
And it's a 12 month plan, not 24 (per today 21 March 2017)

Also, the price is INCL of VAT.

What I found odd is that they seem to insist you buy this strange window sill router, no option of not getting it if you already have your own 4G router.

"Invalid voucher, please re check it"

Thanks anyway smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to