General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Feb-15 01:32:32
Print Post

EE Stops Selling Orange & T-Mobile SIMs Yesterday

[link to this post]

We're focusing on EE

With over nine in 10 new or upgrading customers now choosing EE plans, we believe that now is the right time to focus solely on selling the EE brand and bringing 4G to as many customers as possible across the UK.

As of 2 February 2015, you'll no longer be able to purchase an Orange or T-Mobile SIM. But don't despair. EE offer a wide range of great value pay as you go packs, starting from just £1 a week.

Order a free EE SIM now
These SIMs were useful in unlocking old Orange or T-Mobile phones that are often bought second-hand or passed on by family & friends.

EE SIMs should work in T-Mobile phones, as EE built their 4GEE network upon T-Mobile's 3G network, but may not work in older Orange phones.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Feb-15 21:35:40
Print Post

Re: EE Stops Selling Orange & T-Mobile SIMs Yesterday

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
EE SIMs should work in T-Mobile phones, as EE built their 4GEE network upon T-Mobile's 3G network, but may not work in older Orange phones.

I've used EE SIM in Orange locked phone without problem. I believe EE SIM presents itself to the phone as both network codes, just for that eventuality.

But anything is possible smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Feb-15 23:32:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It is thought that Orange phones predating the EE merger or at least (or should it be at most?) the 4GEE network do not work with EE SIMs. So they have to be old.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 04-Feb-15 10:55:12
Print Post

But existing Orange SIM's that are in these old backup phones will still work I would hope. We have one in the car, just in case, and my elderly dad has one that's there only if the power goes off. No doubt there are lots more people who have some sort of standby phone, along with the call credit of course.

I think I still have a couple of Orange SIM's, for some reason they sent me 3 when i only asked for 1. I will have a couple of 'spare' phones next month when our contract renews and we get new handsets. I was saving those SIM's to put in, I have a feeling they may not register bearing in mind the news here.

Virgin Cable (50/3) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User celad2001
(learned) Wed 04-Feb-15 12:36:26
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

in case its relevant ...
due to me having problems login in to my orange account a few days ago following a telephone call to the ee help site my sim/phone was "upgraded" by the helpful lady and now shows as ee rather than orange,
same sim so its presumably had a remote control personality change or some sort of id handling change by ee.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Feb-15 16:47:36
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Just try activating them ASAP.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 04-Feb-15 17:18:06
Print Post

Good thinking, I was waiting until we changed phones in 4 weeks time, not even sure where those SIM's are now frown
I know I put them somewhere safe...

Virgin Cable (50/3) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Feb-15 17:27:05
Print Post

EE customer service leaves a lot to be desired for pre pay customers and their web site isnt up to the job either, as far as mangaging your account goes, you are supposed to be able to change packs and some other things, but those option are non existant , you are forced into paying to call the terrible customer service who seem clueless
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:15:16
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Yes, EE service is awful.
In reply to a post by tommy45:
you are forced into paying to call the terrible customer service who seem clueless
You can do most of that yourself by texting words like STOP PACK, ALL PACKS and ADD DATA to 150.

Be aware you can only subscribe to 1 pack at a time and they are auto renewable as long as you have credit.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 04-Feb-15 18:17:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:43:38
Print Post

And the EE app on the phone while a bit confusing seems to let you do stuff e.g. add a data add-on if you want it.

The going from old Orange to EE was a bit of a mess, you have to do all the PAC chasing it seems

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to