General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Mar-15 19:37:01
Print Post

I like this

[link to this post]

My first EE 4G Extra speed test. Inside the house.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 20:01:18
Print Post

Re: I like this

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My first EE 4G Extra speed test. Inside the house.

That's quite nice. Not massively Extra or DoubleSpeed speeds however. Which phone/device and roughly where are you in the UK ?

The sales branding seems to have changed in March, where "Extra" which is only available to contract device purchases now seems to include what was formerly DoubleSpeed and also 4G+ if you're in the central london coverage area. My SIM only contract from last year is "double speed" which apparently means access to faster than 30mbps, if coverage allows.

I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire.

My EE indoor speed test on an iPhone 6 (64gb personal) with SIM only plan:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

and my work phone which is also an iPhone 6 (16gb) with corporate 4G plan:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Mar-15 20:09:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sony Xperia Z3. Hazel Grove. Using my postcode I get:-
UPGRADED TO DOUBLE SPEED 4G

Great news, the 4G network in this area has been upgraded to double speed 4G. This means everything is even faster than before, like uploading large files or downloading a film from EE's Film Store.
Which is a bit irrelevant of course given my FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 12-Mar-15 20:11:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Mar-15 21:01:13
Print Post

Sony Xperia Z3. Hazel Grove. Using my postcode I get:-Which is a bit irrelevant of course given my FTTC.

The Z3 is an LTE Category 4 device, max theoretical speed of 150megabit, which is the same as the iPhone 6 / 6+.

I've read elsewhere that DoubleSpeed is two things, on the network coverage maps (in yellow) it means you are in an area where 2x20mhz (ie 20mz downlink, 20mhz uplink) is provisioned for LTE services, whereas in the green areas its 2x10mhz. This means more capacity for more simultaneous higher speed users and in lightly loaded times for higher speeds. Some have seen over 100mbps on Cat 4 devices on 2x20 areas but where there are very few users. On the price plan "double speed" means no speed cap at 30mbps.

The "EE Extra" price plan when you buy a phone means you get double speed, and you get access to the new LTE-Advanced network which EE call "4G+" and is only currently in central London. This needs a device with a Cat 6 chip, and that is really the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, or the Samsung Galaxy S6 due for release in April - or one LG model.

On the EE coverage checker once you've entered a town or postcode, you can click on each section on the left side, 2G, 3G, 4G and the map colours change. Once you click on 4G you will see the two colours green and yellow.

http://coverage.ee.co.uk/ee/coveragechecker.html

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Thu 12-Mar-15 21:02:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Mar-15 00:16:02
Print Post

The bit I quoted was, (and is) showing on a yellow background. You didn't say the difference between green and yellow, so I'm stuck. But I don't think it's 4+.

Edit - As soon as you said it I started singing that! School-days.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 13-Mar-15 00:16:52)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Mar-15 08:05:08
Print Post

The bit I quoted was, (and is) showing on a yellow background. You didn't say the difference between green and yellow, so I'm stuck. But I don't think it's 4+. Edit - As soon as you said it I started singing that! School-days.

green is 2x10mhz so a lot less capacity and under reasonable load you may see upto 10mbps or slower.

4G+ is only in central london and doesn't seem to be on a fast rollout - they have other priorities I guess.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Mar-15 12:52:00
Print Post

(I see I had a typo and missed out the G from 4G+, but you understood).

Yellow is the full whack I think? Apart from 4G+.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Mar-15 18:09:42
Print Post

(I see I had a typo and missed out the G from 4G+, but you understood).
Yellow is the full whack I think? Apart from 4G+.

Yes smile

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Mar-15 18:26:04
Print Post

Not happy with those speeds for a double speed area and the latancy is far too high.

Paul
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Mar-15 18:49:08
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bookey:
Not happy with those speeds for a double speed area and the latancy is far too high.

Interesting; hopefully as the signal strength is increased, or as other improvements made there may be more to come?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to