General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Fri 13-Mar-15 14:46:19
Print Post

My first taste of 4G

[link to this post]

Turned on my mobile phone at about 11am, and got this biggest shock to see 4G in the top corner. So I did speed test and got this (which is a surprise considering I thought my area was only getting the 800Mhz 4G).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 14:51:25
Print Post

Re: My first taste of 4G

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Having spent some time on mobile devices, keep a close eye on what the needle is doing, that test appears to favour peak speed on mobile devices rather than the actual average.

http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest will run on the mobile and give you graphs to share after so you can see if its a steady throughput or a burst of high speed with variable at other times.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Mar-15 18:10:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timalay:
Turned on my mobile phone at about 11am, and got this biggest shock to see 4G in the top corner. So I did speed test and got this (which is a surprise considering I thought my area was only getting the 800Mhz 4G).

2x10mhx of 800Mhz is all O2 have purchased. This is sufficient for high speeds with low users. However when user numbers go up the speeds will come down.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Fri 13-Mar-15 18:10:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Fri 13-Mar-15 22:41:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Oh ok

I thought the 800Mhz disrupted the freeview and you had to get an adaptor for your TVs.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Mar-15 10:37:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timalay:
I thought the 800Mhz disrupted the freeview and you had to get an adaptor for your TVs.

There is a tiny risk it might so adaptors are available. I gather only a tiny number of people are affected.

I think its only where the TV transmitter is using high 700 frequencies, those in the middle of 700's are not likely to have a problem.

All 4 networks have 800mhz frequency, O2 only has 800, Vodafone has 800 and 2600, EE has 800, 1800, 2600, and Three has 800 and 1800.

smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Sat 14-Mar-15 10:37:56)

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 14-Mar-15 19:26:10
Print Post

Re: My first taste of 4G UPDATE

It's down to HSPA+ (which is an improvement the HSPA I was getting). I asked O2 (Tesco signal provider), and apparently they are improving the area I might notice 4G now and then.

Edited by Timalay (Sat 14-Mar-15 19:27:17)

Standard User Pedrostech
(learned) Sat 14-Mar-15 23:46:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The signal issues only affect those on transmitters which use what was called the C/D band (the top third), which was channel 48-68 (690-850MHz) in the old days, but 48-60 (690-786MHz) now and receive are very close to the phone mast and far from the terrestrial transmitter.

An example here is Midhurst, but I've only heard of one person affected and they're in a very marginal area for receiving from it.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 15-Mar-15 11:43:35
Print Post

I got the same phone as you looking at your results.

On 3 web site they say Abingdon Oxfordshire is good to go for 4G so day I got new phone at local Tesco as an unlocked moto g 4G and fired up as disappointed it was back on the fast hspa + or whatever it normally is.

Found a rootmetrics web site and has peoples results at the places they are at. most of Abingdon 3g like always but a little bit near downtown showing as 4g.

Off I went to the best road for coverage on the map and noticed the mobile mast. missed that one and quite good at knowing where they are but not this.

Did 3 results walking maybe 200m in site and not of tower. Best I got on 3 was 50meg download.

If 2100Mhz or 800Mhz, who knows but me pleased.

Does just about work in the correct spot downtown.
These speedtests a bit away from shops in sight of mast.

Had 4G in Oxford. was a 7Meg down if I remember right.

on 3 I find the speeds ok on 3g, 4G not all it cracked up to be in Oxford.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139903629

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139907834

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139915638

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Mar-15 11:13:12
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
I got the same phone as you looking at your results.

On 3 web site they say Abingdon Oxfordshire is good to go for 4G so day I got new phone at local Tesco as an unlocked moto g 4G and fired up as disappointed it was back on the fast hspa + or whatever it normally is.

Found a rootmetrics web site and has peoples results at the places they are at. most of Abingdon 3g like always but a little bit near downtown showing as 4g.

Off I went to the best road for coverage on the map and noticed the mobile mast. missed that one and quite good at knowing where they are but not this.

Did 3 results walking maybe 200m in site and not of tower. Best I got on 3 was 50meg download.

If 2100Mhz or 800Mhz, who knows but me pleased.

Does just about work in the correct spot downtown.
These speedtests a bit away from shops in sight of mast.

Had 4G in Oxford. was a 7Meg down if I remember right.

on 3 I find the speeds ok on 3g, 4G not all it cracked up to be in Oxford.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139903629

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139907834

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1139915638

It won't be 2100Mhz on 4g. No network has that frequency.

Best I've seen on 3 is 67Mb/s at 1am. EE in the same area 91Mb/s (double speed).

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Thu 19-Mar-15 10:15:54
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Hi

Nice and quick then.

I was impressed with 50Meg speed.

Was thinking of going to EE next month when 2 year contract runs out.

But why change when 3 network works from home to work 10 miles away and always works playing music in the car from a countrymusic app on the phone ( sad I know but top 40, not a clue whos who anymore.)

Can go for unlimited data and less minutes then I have now but don't use anyway that many for £15 sim only. as the 3 supplied phone broke 2 months ago and replaced as cracked screen cheap for sim card and my new unlocked phone.

EE was expensive, going upto a tenner more a month for similar.

If it works why change, was looking at it but expensive.
I find few duff spots on 3.
OK a bit poor downtown where I live when inside shops like does not work but as I don't work in a shop, just pop in not a problem!.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to