General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 20:38:35
Print Post

EE enable WiFi calling

[link to this post]

EE has enabled WiFi calling tonight with iOS 8.3 release from Apple.

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Announcements-from-EE/W...

It already seems to work well, I've just read a report of one user with an issue with SMS texting.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Wed 08-Apr-15 20:43:00)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 09-Apr-15 19:25:14
Print Post

Re: EE enable WiFi calling

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

even tho they didnt announce it this service is available to S5 users, however they seem to be taking an age to activate it, I sent the sms last week and was accepted but no activation yet.

I am very curious if this will require a EE firmware or not.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-15 19:41:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
even tho they didnt announce it this service is available to S5 users, however they seem to be taking an age to activate it, I sent the sms last week and was accepted but no activation yet.

The EE website shows iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6+ and Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge which I suspect means they work without much hassle.

Maybe the Galaxy S5 needs some tweaks?

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-15 20:00:54
Print Post

even tho they didnt announce it this service is available to S5 users

Seen this?
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=776403...

Standard User mirage4802
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-15 20:03:27
Print Post

Do you have the details of what to text and to what number?

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited
TBB result | Speedtest.net result | BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 09-Apr-15 20:06:26
Print Post

A little annoyed that having it enabled means Handoff features won't be usable, I hope Apple can do something to sort this...

Whether it be for them to work together or for a White&Black list of Wi-FI networks to be added.

Will come in handy though I'm sure!

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-15 20:10:57
Print Post

[re: mirage4802] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mirage4802:
Do you have the details of what to text and to what number?

You need to be on an EE contract (not Orange or T-Mobile and not on PAYG).

EE's website says you don't need to:
http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/apple/apple-i...

but apparently if you send

wifi calling

to the number 150 that may help.

iOS devices need to be on version 8.3 with the EE carrier update 19.1, and need to be a 5c, 5s or later. Doesn't work on the 5 or the 4s. You then get a new option under Phone (halfway down settings) that needs to be enabled.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 10-Apr-15 00:12:35
Print Post

I heard about it, sent the text message, got a reply sending me to a web page for instructions - for iPhone only - it's not available on my new Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 that I only got from EE last month. frown

I have a bad signal at home and was happily using UMA on my Galaxy Mini 2 until I 'upgraded' phones, only to find the new one does not have UMA - none of the new phones do.

I have to go stand by a back of the house window to get calls on my mobile now, unless I use VOIP, which happily connects using 4G - phone calls don't use 4G I'm told, that's for data only.

Aint technology wunnerful ! smile

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 10-Apr-15 01:21:35
Print Post

no tweaks, however I suspect it needs the latest EE firmware which I dont have as I am using a custom firmware, which is why I dont like they didnt use an app, as this sort of forces people to use the official EE firmware if they want the feature.

I can live without it, I live in a city and dont ever recall not having a signal at all at any point.

But as I understand it, its not even activated for me yet, I am probably still in a queue.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 10-Apr-15 01:21:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Apr-15 02:36:58
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
I have to go stand by a back of the house window to get calls on my mobile now ...
Heh! wink

How do you find out here is one to receive?

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to