General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User martinday
(newbie) Fri 15-May-15 11:44:23
Print Post

EE 4G mobile broadband intermittent problem with web pages

[link to this post]

I'm using an EE 4G mobile broadband SIM in a dlink DWR921 router at home with an external antenna and generally getting a speed of 20 mbit/s down and up according to speedtest.net. For some reason a few times every day I get a period generally from 30 seconds to 3 minutes where web pages fail to load giving a timeout error. During this time I can still ping successfully and even download a large file by ftp so the connection is still working, it's just the http / https protocol that seems to be having problems. Also during these times my phone with an EE SIM in it doesn't seem to have any problems loading web pages.

Can anyone suggest what the cause of the problem might be? Something with my equipment or a problem with EE?

Thanks

Martin
Standard User martinsq
(member) Fri 15-May-15 23:52:57
Print Post

Re: EE 4G mobile broadband intermittent problem with web pag

[re: martinday] [link to this post]

Hi,.
I can't explain it, just confirm that it is perenial problem.

My EE and now T-Mob connection sometimes just stalls, for no apparent reason.
I am about half a mile from each of 3 towers, but none in line of sight. Never could find out which one(s) I connect to.
Almost two years ago my 3G EE connection stopped working altogether, EE could not explain let alone help, so I stop paying the monthly contract fee, and they cancelled my SIM
(and kept sending me bills for further 18 months...!)
I switched to pre-paid (and cheaper) 3G T-Mob SIM, again sometimes it's just stalls, often re-dialing helps, sometimes just for few minutes, sometimes I just give up for the day..!
It's the same wheater I use the dongle trough router or in a laptop.
Don't think I can get 4G, haven't bothered to find out, still too expensive...!
Regards,
M Martin
Standard User martinday
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 10:20:08
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like an EE problem. I'm trying a 3 SIM in the router and it seems reliable but I can only get 3G so speeds are a lot lower and not enough to justify it over ADSL.

I wonder if EE use some kind of web caching proxy as I can still download files by ftp at high speed when web pages are refusing to load?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sat 16-May-15 11:12:44
Print Post

[re: martinday] [link to this post]

This is just what happens with EE, it's a real problem. It doesn't happen to all connections simultaneously as you have discovered.

OFCOMs reports into 4g and 3g performance show nearly 1/3rd of websites timing out on EE, 15x that of anyone else. People are obsessed with coverage % and speed tests so it doesnt get mentioned much.
  Print Thread

Jump to