General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nosferatu_UK
(newbie) Fri 15-May-15 12:27:27
Print Post

Three all you can eat 4G but has a catch

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

I am really new to the 3G/4G broadband internet, but I have moved to a farm residents and have since lost my fibre broadband, as it's not available in my area and normal broadband is worse than a 56k modem ;D (remember them?)

Anywho.. I was looking into getting a home wifi setup that will allow my family to connect to a router as standard and then a 3G/4G USB Modem to plug into the TP-Link 3G/4G router.

Is this a viable setup? is there a cheaper way or better way?

Also,

For data allowance many companies are no longer doing unlimited data contracts but the only one I have seen is Three's website offering in the sim only deals an "all you can eat" data contract for £17 month for mobile phone sim only (cheap 24 month contract). BUT (as always theres a BUT) When I choose mobile broadband sim the price is higher and the data is capped? I was looking at their tariffs and they state that some all you can eat sim offer a 4GB allowance for use as a personal hotspot.
So my question is. If I bought a £17 phone sim contract and put it into the USB modem and had that in my router. Will THEY know its being used as a wifi established internet connection for multiple computers (and incure charges) or is a connection just a connection and wouldn't make a difference? If so how'd they know that my mobile phone has been turned into a wifi hotspot and got more than one device connected, in order for it to be restricted as a 4GB data allowance?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-May-15 14:17:05
Print Post

Re: Three all you can eat 4G but has a catch

[re: Nosferatu_UK] [link to this post]

You won't find any of the mobile operators offering unlimited data mobile broadband products. They are not aiming to provide products that are a replacement for fixed line or fixed wireless broadband and their networks couldn't cope if users had no reason to moderate their data usage. This is unfortunate for people in your position where the only high speed service is from a mobile operator.

Unlimited data on phone contracts is subject to various terms. The networks usually attempt to block dongles and routers based on IMEI (the hardware serial number, in effect). Three also are believed to use deep packet inspection to identify phone SIMs being used to connect multiple computers, for example by traffic to Windows Update. There are also limits on how much data you can reasonably consume using a phone as a phone - even heavy users of video streaming will be unlikely to exceed a few tens of GB per month. Someone using 100GB per month might find their usage being carefully scrutinised.

You may get away with using a phone SIM in a router, though I have my doubts. If Three spot that your usage of a contract phone SIM has exceeded the monthly limit for tethering, they could send a hefty retrospective bill for excess charges.

I would look at mobile broadband products that are designed for router use. If the highest consumer packages are inadequate, investigate the business products.

It might be worth your while investigating alternatives, particularly if you are farming and therefore running a business as there are sometimes offers for business hampered by poor connectivity. Satellite might be an option, though is not without drawbacks. It is also worth checking with your local council to see if there is any hope of improvements to fixed line broadband to your location via the BDUK scheme.

Standard User AAuser27
(member) Fri 15-May-15 14:37:29
Print Post

you can change the AP to 3internet rather than three.co.uk which is what PAYG use. PAYG all you can eat bundles seem to get away with it (from recent experience) where as contract customers only have 2GB monthly usage

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nosferatu_UK
(newbie) Fri 15-May-15 20:48:06
Print Post

You both have been very helpful thank you, and very well explained. I shall have to do more in depth research into getting a better internet connection. It's a shame even in this day and age remote places still have to suffer frown
Standard User AAuser27
(member) Sat 16-May-15 10:37:11
Print Post

It is - 3internet is the one PAYG use. Remember that and give it a try.

Or just get a PAYG sim £15 a month you can use unlimited data and tether in a phone. Well I know people who do it every month without a problem. One of my friends gets about 16mbps and all she does is Netflix HD and that takes a fair amount
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 21-May-15 23:33:32
Print Post

I'm on the all you can eat monthly sim 4G plan

i tether around 60-80GB per month

no complaints from three.

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 18:40:01
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

There have been cases of people being blocked and booted, for using a unlimited data phone sim in a dongle or router. You may get away with it for a while, but as 3 seem to be clamping down on unlimited tariffs, would probably not be long before your usage came under scrutiny. Might work short term but wouldn't rely on it as a long term solution.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Fri 19-Jun-15 18:40:33
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

It seems then that the solution would be to go with PAYG and carry on until you get the boot, then revisit the situation?
Standard User jtthedevil
(regular) Mon 22-Jun-15 10:54:29
Print Post

Hi, I was in the same situation as you but have finally got upgraded to fibre.

If you have an older legacy contract with three, unlinited really is unlimited for tethering. In the T&C I think it put a figure on of 1000gb which would be almost impossible to hit. I bought an old android phone with DCHSDPA (Galaxy S3LTE) and set up a wifi hotspot. I then used a TP Link WR702N to boost the signal round the house. It worked quite well other than my daughters couldn't find each other on a Minecraft home server, I assume due to maybe being connected to 2 differnet access points. This was solved by connecting the TP Link to a WD N900 Central router and connecting all devices to it. I think there are some Asus routers you can directly connect the phone to via the USB port which excludes the need for a wifi hotspot and tp link.
Standard User AAuser27
(member) Mon 22-Jun-15 20:06:34
Print Post

There is something weird going on at 3. I have a 2GB tethering limit on their highest package (£55 a month AYCE everything) but for the past 5 days 3 have not been counting my tethering limit and I have done well over this 2GB

Edit; i've found out the phone I currently have allows me to tether on the same AP as the handset uses. so I am only using handset data and so it does not count towards my tethering. I tried it in another handset and it did register.

So wink

Edited by AAuser27 (Mon 22-Jun-15 20:08:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to