General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Overjoyed
(learned) Sat 18-Jul-15 23:08:46
Print Post

3 mobile has taken over two of my web sites.

[link to this post]

Two of my websites now have a message from 3 saying I have I been using my phone as a personal hotspot. I can't access these sites as the 3 message comes up each time. They are legitimate sites, how can I over ride this intrusion & get my web sites back?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jul-15 23:31:22
Print Post

Re: 3 mobile has taken over two of my web sites.

[re: Overjoyed] [link to this post]

Clear you cache and cookies. And stop using your phone as a hotspot. Tethering isn't allowed on your plan.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Jul-15 23:44:57
Print Post

That doesn't make sense. They can't "take over" your website. (I suppose technically they could if you host them with 3).

What are the two websites? If they've been taken over we will get the same message.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Overjoyed
(learned) Mon 20-Jul-15 16:29:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

One of the sites is oldies group Dave Clark Five & another is TV stations. I have no objections to a warning & I will adhere to it, but I don't expect them to make two of my web sites unavailable so every time I go to both sites I get the 3 page. If I use another browser they are clear. My favoured browser is Firefox. I have looked in cookies for the problem page but can't find anything resembling 3 or hutchison. I did contact 3 to get a PAYG tethering package but at the moment they don't do one, as I only want the internet for a month I do not want a 12 or 24 month contract. I will never use 3 again for anything, I used them for a trip to Spain under the sharing? scheme & was happy, however cocking up my computer is a serious no no for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 17:34:07
Print Post

They have done nothing to your computer, they are simply intercepting things like DNS requests and redirecting you to a portal page.

Not unlike when you goto google for the first time on many Wi-Fi hotspots, or visit something blocked parental controls.

If the PC is still showing those pages when using another connection, then time to clear local browse cache and flush the DNS.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jul-15 19:59:25
Print Post

I was meaning the URL(s) of the site(s) to see if it's just you blocked.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Overjoyed
(learned) Mon 20-Jul-15 20:20:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I appreciate the replies, & it maybe they have done nothing to my computer, if so I shouldn't have to "clear local browse cache and flush the DNS". If I have to physically alter setting on my computer as per above to get back my web sites, then it would seem they did something to my computer via the settings. If they did nothing then my computer would work with all my web pages intact. I have complained to them & they are very surprised & apologetic, I have to contact them tomorrow (if I have the time, as I am extremely busy at the moment) for them to sort it out, but it won't end there.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 20-Jul-15 20:27:18
Print Post

No, all they did was change their DNS records on their DNS server which you are using. Your PC then stored those changes in it's cache on your PC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 09:40:49
Print Post

Notice how I had an IF.

Windows caches some requests locally, ask any web developer about problems with image caching in browsers and having to do a CTRL F5 in a web browser to refresh a page. Your situation is akin to that and nothing of the sort that would stand-up if you go all legal on them.

If you broke the T&C's of a SIM and used it for tethering they could just as easily have simply turned the SIM off totally.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:02:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Overjoyed:
I did contact 3 to get a PAYG tethering package but at the moment they don't do one, as I only want the internet for a month I do not want a 12 or 24 month contract.

They do but not with phone sims. Get a mobile broadband sim in a mobile wifi box and that works on payg with feel at home. £10 for 1gb internet.

Can also use the sim in a tablet.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to