General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Thu 30-Jul-15 15:31:12
Print Post

New Cell Tower - Time to go live

[link to this post]

O2 have installed a new Cell Tower near me, replacing an older one. Does anyone know how long it will take to go live?

I'd have thought since they're replacing an old one rather than installing a brand new one it'll be sooner rather than later.

Tempted to try GiffGaff 4g again, but if it's likely to be more than a month until it's live then I'll wait.

Does anyone know the distance served by the Cell Towers? I'm assuming I'm covered by the one I've seen replaced, but if not I'm hoping they're upgrading all cell towers in the area.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jul-15 17:05:42
Print Post

Re: New Cell Tower - Time to go live

[re: mjl123] [link to this post]

Could be 500m range, could be several kilometres depends on the area and the power of the cell installed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Thu 30-Jul-15 21:22:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The one it replaced was:
Height of Antenna 11.51 Metres
Frequency Range 2100 MHz
Transmitter Power 28.29 dBW

Had a quick look online but can't see a range calc for it. I know they can be directional too, so only give an estimate anyway

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 23:41:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by mjl123:
The one it replaced was:
Height of Antenna 11.51 Metres
Frequency Range 2100 MHz
Transmitter Power 28.29 dBW

If you've got that data from the Sitefinder site at Ofcom, be warned that data is ancient and not being updated - for more than 5 years now.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User japitts
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-15 16:39:03
Print Post

Unfortunately - there are so many variables with these things, it really is "how long is a piece of string".
  Print Thread

Jump to