General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 15:56:28
Print Post

Using data in Europe - will others follow 3 ?

[link to this post]

I've used 3's 'feel at home' or whatever they call it in Europe. Excellent, no worries about call or data charges. But when really at home their coverage is a bit patchy. So I was thinking of jumping to EE having tried a PAYG to test the coverage where I need it. But with EE you kinda sorta maybe depending on your contract get some data abroad but perhaps you have to pay.

Are the other operators going to follow 3 and allow data use in Europe for no extra fee, either because it makes good business sense or because the EU says so?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:05:30
Print Post

Re: Using data in Europe - will others follow 3 ?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Some of the Vodafone packages allow europe roaming... I believe EE business packages also allow certain countries in the EU.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:08:55
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Vodafone doesn't work in some UK places I need go to so ruled out. As far as I can make out EE want £4 a day for limited data in EU.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:21:48
Print Post

To answer my own question... EE will join 3 in 2017 because the EU says so.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-15-5275_en...

from 15 June 2017 you can use your mobile device when travelling in the EU paying the same prices as at home (domestic prices). For instance, if you pay for a monthly volume of minutes, SMS and data in your country, any voice call, SMS and data session you make while travelling abroad in the EU will be deducted from that volume as if you were at home, with no extra charges.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:25:49
Print Post

When I land in Europe, it pops up immediately with an EE branded website saying "You are in Spain" or "You are in France."

And below it has data bundles listed ie £3 for 50Mb, £10 for 200Mb, £20 for 500Mb etc.

When you use the data, the EE branded page reappears. "Your data has ran out" "You are in Spain"

And below you can buy more data.

Good thing. You can leave your data on always, it will not allow you to use the data unless you buy a bundle on the EE branded page which says "You are in Spain" "You are in the United States" etc.

You never get charged per 1Mb like other providers.

Everything you pay, it is expected.

When you use the agreed amount, data just stops to work - you land back at the EE data page.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 16:33:59
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Good but when I was last in Spain I used 540 MB and it came out of my 3 data bundle, no extra cost. I need to weigh up if paying for data in EU is worth it for the better UK coverage...

ukhardy07 are you on a current contract, one I could still obtain? Sometimes the deals change. You can't get my AYCE data deal from three any more for example.

Thanks!
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 19:49:44
Print Post

I am on 3 and like you I have used this but when EE join that will seal the deal for me as I have a EE monthly sim also and it's much better
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-15 21:38:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
ukhardy07 are you on a current contract, one I could still obtain? Sometimes the deals change. You can't get my AYCE data deal from three any more for example.

All EE contracts work this way with roaming data. Even old 3G only t-mobile contracts do this. Its the old Orange systems that didn't and charged £8 per megabyte automatically. You cannot get Orange and T-mobile contracts anymore.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 12:08:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
You can't get my AYCE data deal from three any more for example.

Are you still on the One Plan then? Because AYCE data is still going strong on PAYG and on my £55 a month contract I have AYCE everything. So you might not be able to get the deal you had but you can still get AYCE on most tariffs.

That said - 20GB on EE/BT Mobile is more than enough for me on my business side. So who really needs AYCE anyway
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 13:55:17
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
Are you still on the One Plan then?

Yes, limited (enough) minutes but AYCE data, more importantly AYCE tethering data. Any new contracts limit tethering. I don't always need it, but when I do... I'd never swap to another 3 contract because of this. As you say 20GB is enough but at a fair bit more cost and loss of 'free' EU roaming. I might stick for a while and try to see where 3 are going.

Surely PAYG cant be AYCE unless you mean all you can pay 1p/MB for... In any case AFAIK there's no tethering at all with PAYG.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to