General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Sun 25-Oct-15 11:27:20
Print Post

Campaigning for 4G in rural areas

[link to this post]

Hi,

There's quite a lot of information for the public nowadays on finding out when a particular area is going to have its BT cabinet upgraded to a fibre FTTC, but I'm struggling to find any info on mobile phone masts and when/if they will be upgraded to transmit UTMS or 4G.

Does anyone know or have experience in this? My mother's very rural area has this year been upgraded to fibre, and the mobile phone masts sit very near the exchange, which seems a perfect fit to plug them into the backbone.

I've looked at Ofcom's sitefinder, but it would be great to know if there are any plans to improve coverage and, if not, campaign for it - anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks

Will
Standard User de525ma
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 18:38:48
Print Post

Re: Campaigning for 4G in rural areas

[re: deiwise] [link to this post]

4G coverage is currenty being rolled out by all the major networks.

Most have a 90% geographic coverage goal, so things should improve over the next few years without the need to campaign. Where and when it happens appears to us to be rather random (as some major masts feed others, and some could be upgraded but waiting for backhaul) and it also depends on the network in question. As an aside, UMTS is an old standard which networks are replacing with HSPA+.

Networks don't necessarily use BT for backhaul anyway. Some use competitors, Vodafone has its own, and they also can use microwave rather than a fibre link. All depends on the area.

A good way to discover whether 4G is coming is to check your local council's planning website, as networks require this to upgrade masts.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 25-Oct-15 20:00:49
Print Post

[re: de525ma] [link to this post]

This link gives details of the progress - or lack of it.

Buying a 4G phone is easy. Getting a 4G signal to use it with is a problem.

I hope the 02 and three merger takes place. I see one decent network as being of more use than two lesser ones.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User de525ma
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 21:21:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

A little harsh - EE's on course for 98% population coverage by the end of the year, which isn't bad.

The other networks are further behind, with Three trailing in last place.

Of course - this is a major undertaking for all of the big four networks, requiring replacement of a lot of equipment and better backhaul provided to the sites (especially for Voda and O2).
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 26-Oct-15 00:28:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by de525ma:
A little harsh - EE's on course for 98% population coverage by the end of the year, which isn't bad.
I just wonder how many of them have to be outside to get a signal.

Michael Chare
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 26-Oct-15 08:48:11
Print Post

Ah great. Good idea re planning appcs. Thanks
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-15 10:42:49
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by de525ma:
I just wonder how many of them have to be outside to get a signal.

Not very many when I've been in rural areas, EE beat O2 and Vodafone quite comprehensively. It will depend dramatically on a) where you are, b) if sites have been upgraded, and c) backhaul network availability.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Tue 27-Oct-15 10:06:49
Print Post

O2 have stated that rural 4g coverage will now be the focus as per this article http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/networks/broadband/o...

Remember only o2 have to cover the 98% requirement for 4g

But as usual no network makes it easy to find out when a particular area will be covered.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Tue 27-Oct-15 10:11:06
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

What concerns me is the levels of coverage, not the speed necessarily. There are still gaping blackspots in Britain where no reception can be gained, which, in 2015, is a bit of a concern when a lot of people are ditching their landlines.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Oct-15 11:01:17
Print Post

Maybe its the difference between population coverage and geographic coverage

i.e. who pays for a mobile most to cover an area of land that has no premises (commercial or residential in it). Wireless propagation and geography means if people want 100% geographic coverage this is going to have to happen and nimby issues will be a serious problem in some area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to