General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 10:34:46
Print Post

Any viable 4g tariffs to replace poor adsl?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking over 4g options to consider instead of my adsl connection. I don't seem able to find any that offer a decent bandwidth however. Is anyone aware of a sim only or mifi type deal that offers more than a few gig a month?

I tend to do a lot of online gaming on the ps4 so a quick connection is required and I download a few gig a month too although I could limit the downloads a little if I had to and the price was right.

With my exchange looking like fibre will never arrive I'm wondering if it's genuinely doable to swap to 4g instead?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-15 10:41:09
Print Post

Re: Any viable 4g tariffs to replace poor adsl?

[re: pebbleheed] [link to this post]

Best is usually in the 20 to 50GB per month range, which for games downloads is almost nothing e.g. freebie games can be 10 to 20GB each.

Best might be to retain a slow ADSL line for large downloads and do those overnight, with gaming (if 4G delivers the stable latency and that's a big IF) itself and day to day use over the 4G SIM.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 10:48:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I was concerned about the latency. But the issue I have is with adsl the upload seems too slow for games like GTA online and COD. I get major lag issues I was hoping the 4g would resolve.

Don't suppose anyone could recommend which networks are better for this?

And yeah, the adsl for download idea is a good one. Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 10:56:44
Print Post

GiffGaff (O2 network) now offer unlimited £20/month 4G goodybag: https://www.giffgaff.com/goodybags/20pound-goodybag

but the catch is:
What does ĎAlways Oní data mean?
Our Always On goodybag is designed to give you peace of mind that you'll always have access to data. With Always On you get 6GB of UK data at full 4G speeds and then an unlimited data allowance at a reduced speed (256kbps) from 8am to midnight. From midnight to 7.59am you have an unlimited data allowance at full speed.

EDIT: I guess if you are doing well beyond 6GB a month, you should look elsewhere.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Mon 26-Oct-15 10:58:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-15 11:04:06
Print Post

Low upload? Call of Duty does not need massive amounts of upload, a standard ADSL line with up to 400 Kbps upload should be a factor a 3 to 4 times better than what is actually needed.

Only time this is not the case is if trying to broadcast a twitch stream. Voice should even be okay over an ADSL line.

Lag issues are probably nothing to do with the upload, but may be a lot more to do with the exchange or the ISP choice, which exchange and which ISP are involved.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 11:04:41
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Just realised that if you used this in a 4G router, I'm pretty sure they would block you for using unlimited goodybag with mifi device:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffg...

So, scrap this idea. You'll need to look elsewhere.

Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-15 11:07:51
Print Post

You could always look at A&A: http://www.aaisp.net.uk/telecoms-mobile-data.html

They offer a very simple flat rate fee of £2/month for the SIM, then a PAYG charging policy for the bandwidth actually used. They run on the Three network, but not sure if it's a 4G enabled service (call them and enquire if you are interested?).

Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 12:18:04
Print Post

I noticed lag with talktalk adsl at a past address. Moved to fibre with talktalk and all was perfect.

The lag seemed worse on GTA. When walking it was fine but if driving with other people in my car their systems lagged while mine was fine. Caused problems when doing multiplayer. I could be a passenger to avoid the lag most of the time but occasionally it came back.

I presumed it was the slow upload speed that did it on ps4 having party chat open too. I'll see how it all works later this week when talktalk install my new connection at the new address. Buy as its a straight connection to the exchange without a green box and as the lines here look old I'm expecting a poor connection despite their predictions sadly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Oct-15 13:21:19
Print Post

Party chat - should only use upload for your voice or text (if video involved then yes ADSL will be bad)

The other peoples voice and text messages really only impact the download side.

Standard User pebbleheed
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 13:31:21
Print Post

I suspect party chat uses less compression than in game chat however as the quality is a lot better. Very noticeable.

Using in game chat seems to reduce lag on poorer connections for me.

I'll test it when I get my 3rd world connection sorted here. Currently without any net at all. It's depressing laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to