General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-15 13:45:45
Print Post

Recommended MiFi Device

[link to this post]

Can anyone recommend a good world-wide 4G MiFi device? Preferably with a media SD card server built-in.

I loved this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M7350-LTE-Advanced-l... but I went to the US and it doesn't have the correct frequency range.

I have a SIM with Three, hence the US use as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Nov-15 14:17:38
Print Post

Re: Recommended MiFi Device

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

There are few if any that have truly worldwide coverage, sadly. The more bands you support, the more compromised the antenna has to be.

Typically, devices support the LTE bands used in Europe or the bands used in North America, but not both.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-15 14:28:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by boxst:
Can anyone recommend a good world-wide 4G MiFi device?

iPad Mini 2 Cellular is likely the closest thing to a world band MiFi :-/

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Wed 11-Nov-15 14:29:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-15 15:03:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Was going to suggest something like tethering to a tablet, played with a couple of mi-fi devices and generally find the hot spot from a tablet is much more useable

Alas 3G/4G band support in tablets and phones is not always identical world wide so may need to confirm bands supported by each one before purchase.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-15 15:31:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Was going to suggest something like tethering to a tablet, played with a couple of mi-fi devices and generally find the hot spot from a tablet is much more useable

Not many tablets support Cat6 LTE yet. I bought a Huawei Cat 6 Mifi from Amazon which has a lot of freq support but the only ones missing are North America (USA & Canada) - which is the same as many phones.

Alas 3G/4G band support in tablets and phones is not always identical world wide so may need to confirm bands supported by each one before purchase.

Apple iPhone 5s and later are pretty much 'one model for world' but the 6 and 6s have more LTE bands than the 5s - mostly noticeable with T-Mobile USA.

IPad Air 2 is the iPhone 6 - there isn't an iPad Air 3 yet - so Cat 4 LTE . I would assume iPad Pro is Cat 6.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-15 16:46:19
Print Post

Think my kindle hdx is cat 6 LTE but won't be betting money on it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-15 21:41:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Think my kindle hdx is cat 6 LTE but won't be betting money on it

You'd need an expensive EE data SIM service, or Vodafone, to use it. The other networks don't have Cat6 (4G+).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Nov-15 11:54:39
Print Post

EE Sim - six months of the £10 spend to get 200GB of data offers smile

Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Thu 12-Nov-15 12:36:48
Print Post

Have a search for TEP Wireless. It's a rental service where you hire a device for the duration of your trip abroad. Sweet point is two sharing, used one last month for a USA trip and worked perfectly in California, Hawaii, Texas and NYC.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 16:11:12
Print Post

Found one : Stupidly expensive :)

It seems that Netgear have just released one meets most of what I wanted (apart from the SD Card sharing). This one: http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/mo...

REALLY expensive though at £220+
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to