General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 14:07:54
Print Post

Three 4G hopelessly congested: use 3G instead

[link to this post]

Just a hint for anyone that works/travels through high demand levels.

I work in central london and getting any sort of data at rush hour is impossible when near the train station, etc. Was getting quite annoying especially wnen trying to check timetables or maps if there was disruption to the train.

Solution: turn off 4G completely on three [at least until they get their 800MHz properly sorted].

Speeds go from 0.1mbit/sec to 10mbit/sec+ at rush hour. Three's 4G is very patchy anyway and isn't that fast normally. Obviously everyone is on 4G now and is saturated while 3G is comparatively empty.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-15 14:21:28
Print Post

Re: Three 4G hopelessly congested: use 3G instead

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
Obviously everyone is on 4G now and is saturated while 3G is comparatively empty.

Sounds as if Three either has not provisioned enough bandwidth at the cell sites, or not enough cell sites upgraded to 4G or they didn't buy enough spectrum from Ofcom. They have 2x15mhz @ 1800 and 2x5mhz @ 800. The 800 is really only for voice.

Or switch to a network who paid for more capacity. Vodafone or EE have a lot more spectrum capacity from the Ofcom auction.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 17:40:11
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'm not switching; the feel at home is really good [I travel to the USA a lot] and I have the old one plan, which gives me 2000mins, 5000txts and unlimited data + personal hotspot for £15/month.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dave_
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 18:57:31
Print Post

I'm not switching; the feel at home is really good [I travel to the USA a lot] and I have the old one plan, which gives me 2000mins, 5000txts and unlimited data + personal hotspot for £15/month.

You can get Feel Like Home on a PAYG sim (just buy a £20 AYCE add-on before you leave) on the same basis as contract and unfortunately for you you price plan is on the endangered list, sooner rather than later you are going to get a letter or phone call from Three and they are going to give 30 days to choose a current price plan. Their original plan was all one plan customers to be migrated by March 2016 (but like everything to do with Three it looks like their target has started to slip and might be slightly delayed).

Probably worth starting to look at the competition.
Standard User Skilty
(member) Sun 15-Nov-15 21:53:37
Print Post

I get the same thing near Liverpool Street station, it slows to a crawl. Switching between 3G and 4G sometimes helps.

Other locations it is absolutely fine so would point to a bandwidth issue.

Can't complain though, always had great service from them and the "Feel at Home" is a real benefit if my wife or I are travelling for work.

Nobody comes close to that offer from what I can see and they are generous with their data allowances, even on the new tariffs!

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 17ms Ping, Sync ~ 64.05/18.83Mbps - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Nov-15 23:37:32
Print Post

Three's network in near useless at most times of the day now it seems,

My father uses 3 with an iPhone 6, and has been a customer for quiet a few years now and he has seen the decline in service all over the UK...

It is particularly bad here in Crawley as their has been a sharp rise in employee's working for airlines moving to 3 for the Home from Home features...

People also like the Unlimited data, lets them upload as many pictures of themselves looking silly as possible.

Recently (few months) the network seems to have struggled with calls too, this week has been particularly bad...

Being on the phone to my father whilst he's travelling is also a no go, it just can't keep the call up for longer than 2 minutes at a time, this has been put down to the lack of 2G to fill in weak or blank patches.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Mon 16-Nov-15 06:18:57
Print Post

[re: Dave_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dave_:

You can get Feel Like Home on a PAYG sim (just buy a £20 AYCE add-on before you leave) on the same basis as contract and unfortunately for you you price plan is on the endangered list, sooner rather than later you are going to get a letter or phone call from Three and they are going to give 30 days to choose a current price plan. Their original plan was all one plan customers to be migrated by March 2016 (but like everything to do with Three it looks like their target has started to slip and might be slightly delayed).

Probably worth starting to look at the competition.

does not seem to of happened yet, if 3 did it a lot more people would leave but then again the people who are abusing the high amount of data might be a good thing any way if they left or forced onto none tethering plans

until they remove my "the One Plan" off me i wont leave as well (my phone does not report tethering any way so the 4-8-12GB tethering limit is not applicable to me any way just speed will rubush as the DPI will detect the tethering) i should of lost my plan long time ago

Standard User iliekcaek
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 08:04:31
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Three still don't have 4G where I live, They suggested we'd have it by December 2014 but then we vanished from their roll out list altogether and here we are in late 2015 still without 4G. EE, Vodafone and O2 have it (though even these were quite late with their roll out compared to elsewhere) so it seems Three doesn't even want to compete, I tried EE's out and got 60Mb/s, Three's 3G you're lucky to get 3Mb/s on a good day.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Mon 16-Nov-15 10:24:28
Print Post

[re: iliekcaek] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iliekcaek:
Three still don't have 4G where I live, They suggested we'd have it by December 2014 but then we vanished from their roll out list altogether and here we are in late 2015 still without 4G. EE, Vodafone and O2 have it (though even these were quite late with their roll out compared to elsewhere) so it seems Three doesn't even want to compete, I tried EE's out and got 60Mb/s, Three's 3G you're lucky to get 3Mb/s on a good day.

just depends where you are i guess really 3mb/s is fine though (better then 0.3mb/s or lower on giffgaff)

Standard User juzzy25
(member) Mon 16-Nov-15 11:35:05
Print Post

I'm on 3 and all I've seen is improvement in Central London, it got bad for a while where speeds were pretty poor but usable for my needs, but now I've got speeds of 54mb/s download and 14 mb/s upload. 3G also fares very well and I've been hitting it hard at most times of day.

I'll try and screenshot some speed tests, I've been impressed with increased 3G coverage and 4G is in most places I visit, yep I accept the coverage checker is bit off on the website.

There's been the very odd blackspot, just off Liverpool Street down a small very alley but these are becoming less and less.

I hope it improves for you soon.

EE 4G >> Plus Net >> Uno Fibre + (80/20) (63904 kbps / 17043 kbps)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to