General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User munrobasher
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 14:37:48
Print Post

Using mobile internet instead of landline for hotel business

[link to this post]

I stayed at a hotel in rural Scotland at the weekend which has been struggling with it's BT internet connection for months. Way too rural/far for Infinity.

However, I got a pretty good H+ signal on my EE mobile and wondered if there were any providers who offered a suitable business class tariff for mobile internet. Obviously, the usual caps of around 4GB a month would be woefully inadequate and I suspect they should consider hardware that throttles each DHCP connection both in terms of speed and amount of data. Most people just want to be able to check their email, browse a few local landmark websites, post some photos to Facebook etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Nov-15 16:19:03
Print Post

Re: Using mobile internet instead of landline for hotel busi

[re: munrobasher] [link to this post]

EE do have higher user allowances than 4GB per month. e.g. Osprey 2 with 50GB monthly allowance at £25 per month.

All depends on what the business is doing, since 4GB is an awful lot of emails, bookings and social media usage, i.e. if you don't do video streaming it should be enough.

If considering this to power the hotel Wi-Fi, then any usage limited service will not work because someone will turn up and chew any allowance as fast as they can, not always but given 100 people you will find one or two that will. Usual way hotels get around this is to throttle the speeds people get so that video use is impossible, but that makes other uses slow.

EE does have payg top-up options so you can use as much as you like but at a cost of around £5 to £10 per GB.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 16:22:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the speedy response. I'll pass on the tariff name to the hotel. That said, I wasn't 100% sure that the poor internet connection was the sole problem they had - placement of the access points could do with a review. I wandered around trying to find the router using a WiFi tracker app on my phone and failed to ever get anything that a mid-level signal. Suspect the access points are in a cupboard somewhere!

Cheers, Rob.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Nov-15 18:39:50
Print Post

[re: munrobasher] [link to this post]

Access point location will make a big difference, a cupboard is usually a bad choice all depends on the size and construction of the hotel e.g. if old building with solid walls then Wi-Fi will be down to almost an access point per room

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-15 18:43:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I've suggested they check the position and functionality of the access points first. I'd wandered around with WiFi analyser and couldn't guess where they were as the signal was always pretty poor. A flaky internet connection shouldn't cause the Wi-Fi to keep dropping. TP-LINK PowerLines often work very well and I see they come with WiFi repeaters these days.

Cheers, Rob.
  Print Thread

Jump to