General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Johar
(newbie) Sun 19-Jun-16 10:31:21
Print Post

Am I missing something or are Brits being ripped off?

[link to this post]

Hi. I'm a Brit living in Denmark where I use a 4G mobile broadband connection. Router/modem is a Huawei 8310s. I get varying speeds between 25 and 35Mbps down and 8-9Mbps up - i.e. perfectly adequate for most things. For 100GB a month I pay the equivalent of £15/£16. No installation fee, no hidden charges. Although this price is exceptionally low, mobile services are offered by all the local operators nationwide. My particular deal is through an operator that uses 3's Danish mobile network.
I'm looking for a similar deal in the UK for my niece who lives in Fareham but it doesn't seem to exist. Most of the broadband offers I find are cable and any 4G offers (e.g. Relish) seem to be very local.
So back to my question - am I missing something or are Brits being ripped off? Or both?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Johar
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 19-Jun-16 12:08:03
Print Post

Re: Am I missing something or are Brits being ripped off?

[re: Johar] [link to this post]

One of the best deals is with EE i think its £50 for 50GB per month

so yes it is a rip off.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Huawei HG635*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sun 19-Jun-16 13:26:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Johar:
So back to my question - am I missing something or are Brits being ripped off? Or both?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Johar

To put it simply yes, us Brits are being ripped off.

The most likely reason for us having quite limiting tariffs is that carriers who own the masts/network that you connect to are unwilling to upgrade things like backhaul which means instead they place limits on how much each person uses it. Or put simply; many companies over here tend to be more stubborn and don't invest in their infrastructure as much as in other countries.

If the above was not correct, you would have thought that with a population of a little over 5.6 million, Denmark would on paper, look more expensive since the customer base is smaller compared to the population of 64 million in the UK.

The closest thing I think you'll get to unlimited/100GB on a mobile connection here (Consumer grade) is probably the 3 'All you can eat' plan.

I'm sure someone else here has it who could elaborate more on it. But as I understand it, it's unlimited with no fair use policies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Virgin Media's ridiculously rubbish upload connection (2014 - Present): 152/12Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Johar
(newbie) Sun 19-Jun-16 15:10:06
Print Post

Thanks epyon and chris6273. Good to know it's not me! I think you're probably right about the infrastructure, chris. In urban areas here, the fibre and mobile networks are very well developed with plenty of competition. Out in the sticks, it's the same old problem, of course.
Since posting my question, I've found a mobile broadband deal on EE for 32GB a month for £28, which is expensive by Danish standards, but worth considering.
Cheers
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 19-Jun-16 15:50:25
Print Post

Possibly, but try buying a car in Denmark...
Standard User Johar
(newbie) Sun 19-Jun-16 16:04:58
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

True - but the extortionate price of cars (180% registration duty) is more than balanced out by the price of housing.
We also have 25% VAT - even on food. But then I can deduct the whole of my mortgage interest, plus the interest on any other loans (including for buying the expensive car), from my income before being taxed. And so we can see why there is not a cat's hope in hell's chance of ever having a synchronised EU tax system. But that won't bother you lot after Thursday, will it? wink
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 19-Jun-16 16:14:30
Print Post

The Danish and UK tax systems are poles apart. By coincidence I met a Dane at the local bus stop looking for a house to rent. He was moving to the UK as he was a graphics programmer and all the work was in the

Not that Denmark doesn't have it's own EU sceptics. After all, the Danish People's Party polled 21% in the last general election UKIP only reached 12.6% in the 2015 GE.

So we'll see following Thursday. It's going to be a close one. The exit polls will be interesting.
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sun 19-Jun-16 22:24:41
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
One of the best deals is with EE i think its £50 for 50GB per month

so yes it is a rip off.

Hmm,
it costs me £40 per anum,
it's (in theory) unlimited,
but it works very poorly,
possibly because I have no line of sight
and there is too much vegetation.
I can use it for email and browsing,
but some times it's get too frustrating,
and I give up.
Downloading something substantial is out of the question.
But I don't need no phone line, so it's cheap.

And NO, won't give you details, 'cos the provider would almost certainly have to stop it if
more people took advantage !

Yes, the mobile providers could do much better....,
if they did not concentrate on flogging ever more expensive phones and phone contracts.

We need several dedicated Mobile BB providers !
Regards,
Martin
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-16 07:14:42
Print Post

Spectrum is a scarce resource, and each GB you consume costs money to provide. It is the cost of spectrum that governs the cost of each GB.

UK consumers are still effectively paying for the stupidly high bids paid for the 3G spectrum in 2000.

In the 4G auctions, the UK government was paid £2.5bn, while the Danish government was paid £0.2bn ... around the same amount per capita. I think the Danes valued the 800MHz spectrum at about half that in the UK, but valued the 2600MHz spectrum higher.

So ... pretty similar total prices for 4G.

Comparing Three specifically, the Danish company paid £0.7m for 10MHz of 2600MHz spectrum, and nothing in the 800MHz spectrum. Meanwhile the UK company paid £225m for just 5MHz of the 800MHz spectrum, and nothing in the 2600MHz spectrum. That's quite a difference, right?

Meanwhile, the 3G auctions cost UK mobile companies £22bn - an amount that pretty much sunk the mobile business here. This amount was paid in the expectation that we'd gobble up data-hungry apps, and pay a vast amount more per month ... sadly, not true. And we continue to pay the price for this in £ per GB.

While the UK mobile companies were paying £500 per capita for 3G spectrum, the Danish ones (whose auction was a year later, with lessons learned) were paying just £75 per capita.

Hugely different prices paid for 3G.

The UK companies have to make their books balance, and they don't really care whether you are using their 3G or 4G spectrum; it all needs to be paid for somehow.

In the end, a big chunk of each month's income is going towards the cost of funding the spectrum auction. Not so much is left to buy the equipment that gives you capacity in the network. Which means the operators need to cause users to NOT consume GB (so they can get away with less hardware) while still paying a monthly fee.
Standard User Johar
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-16 08:41:06
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well, thanks for that WWWombat. Very interesting indeed. So that's how it works.
Reminds me a bit of the auctions for the Premier League rights which results in everyone who buys a TV package pouring their hard-earned cash into the pockets of some little gutter-snipes who can kick a ball around.
Which is why I have an indoor aerial and a digital decoder.
J.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to