General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sun 28-Aug-16 22:50:35
Print Post

Win 10 last upgrade borked my Mobile BB

[link to this post]

I switched my 3 laptops (kept in different locations, but using the same dongle / SIM) to Win 10 at the end of July. To my relief the Mob BB still worked OK, though the setup and connecting is STUPIDLY complicated and tedious.
However, earlier last week some upgrades were auto downloded (not the Aniversary I think), even though it's not supposed to happen over 'Pay as you go' connection (can't se how to set that....!)
And then none would do Mob BB, 'cos they would not 'see' the Mob dongle !
Eventually I got the oldest to work, but still no go with the other too. Hours later I figured out the second one was trying to use the on board landline modem, hence complaining of 'no dial tone'...!
The third one was stubornly refusing to use the dongle, although the 'device manager' could see it.
Thinking that new driver may help I searched the net, but could not even find one for my rather ancient Huawei E160 !
At best I got directed to various websites which offered to scan my machine and update ALL drivers, but I didn't find one I could trust....!
In the end I located the drivers on my now working laptops and discovered that they were dated 2008, but
the 3rd one had a 2011 version. So, after overcaming the 'you need permission' hurdle I replaced the driver with the old one and after still furthrer fiddling I managed to get the 'device manager' to discover it and then with more fiddling to get the laptop to 'use it !

Gee, thanks M$ for needlesly wasting dozen hours of my time !!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Aug-16 11:51:30
Print Post

Re: Win 10 last upgrade borked my Mobile BB

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

You might want to consider moving away from a USB dongle to avoid these driver issues, as will only get worse if the manufacturer has stopped supplying firmware updates for Windows 10 (and by dates looks like they never did)

http://amzn.to/2btM15z One of a growing number of 4G SIM slot routers, so you can then use Ethernet or Wi-Fi locally

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-16 13:39:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

also many mobile phones can be configured as mobile wifi hotspots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-16 15:25:19
Print Post

Or, if you need 4G access while mobile, can I suggest a portable MiFi-style device.

We have a Huawei E5372, but it looks like the current models are either the E5377 or E5577.

So much easier than messing about with drivers for USB dongles - and usable by multiple devices.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Aug-16 20:30:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thats an option too smile Though I'd not recommend the MiFi devices for full time home sharing

As a general rule avoiding USB for any form of networking is a good idea.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 29-Aug-16 21:48:23
Print Post

Hardly MS's fault. Drivers are written by the hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft. All manufacturers are offered the opportunity to be part of the beta tests of a new operating system, so they can develop stable drivers before release. If they choose not to do so it's because they have no interest in wasting their time updating old products as they would rather sell you something new. There is no profit from from writing drivers for older hardware
Standard User martinsq
(member) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:47:52
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

M$ should NOT be 'messing up' with drivers for equipment that is not M$, at least NOT without permisssion or even disclossing what it has done !!!
Standard User martinsq
(member) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:52:26
Print Post

As it happensI have Draytek router which can handle Mobile BB / SIM, but I could not get it to work reliably, but more to the point, it isn't as easily portable as USB dongle.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:57:11
Print Post

We would still be on Windows 98 in that case, since the life cycle would be so slow for any upgrades to an operating system

Standard User martinsq
(member) Mon 29-Aug-16 22:58:05
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I have considered using a Mobile phone, but I would need a dual SIM one, and probably have to carry a charger with me a all times....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to