General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Theydon
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:23:15
Print Post

o2 Billing Please help

[link to this post]

Dear Thinkbroadband Community.

I need help with a billing problem with o2.

I have a DrayTek VigorLTE 2860Ln router installed in a fixed position at a remote location in North Essex and have amazing speeds over 4G.

The problem is o2 are charging for over 100 GB data each month. Even being generous or conservative we think this is 60% over charge. I would be surprised if the actual data consumption was over 35 gb / month.

Has anyone had similar experiences or is a master of the Vigor 2860 to prove our data usage. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards

David
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:36:31
Print Post

Re: o2 Billing Please help

[re: Theydon] [link to this post]

Are you including both up and down stream data usage as they probably count both in their charges? Does the router have any stats that show usage? If you also pay for any data being sent to the device then if someone is remotely trying to hack the device or even doing a DDOS against it then you would be paying for that data as well.

You say it is in a remote location but potentially using 35GB of data - what sort of things is it used for?
Standard User Theydon
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:43:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

I feel at this stage the router is secure from hacking.

The usage is normal family internet access. In their previous house where BT Infinity was available the monthly data consumption was 30 - 35 GB / month.

The router utility tools show a 60% lesser amount of data consumption.

This is the problem - I need knowhow in pin pointing the evidence to counter o2 claim.

Best

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:47:45
Print Post

Does the router show you daily usage figures, might be worth getting them from O2 too to see if there is usage on days when router says nothing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:55:52
Print Post

Is it possible to get a fixed line connection, something cheap and cheerful at this location such as ADSL? It might be slow, but for basic tasks, emailing, basic youtube etc it will probably be sufficient.

You can get ADSL for just the cost of line rental with many providers.

People could use the ADSL generally and 4G when the bandwidth is required.

As for counting the usage, I would say O2 is probably accurate - routers do not count usage very well with firmware bugs often resulting in the data counter not being accurate. My router has me down as using 7Gb and my dropbox download was 50Gb when I restored my laptop - so it's wildly inaccurate.
Standard User Theydon
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 14:14:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Mr Saffron,

If only this was possible... Communication with o2 is very painful. We have been trying to get some / any form of o2 analysis since the end of July.

We are now at Mark Evans level - hence the reason fore this post.

Best

David
Standard User Theydon
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 14:17:22
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hello Mr Hardy,

There is zero ADSL broadband in this location. This is why 4g was the only option.

Best David
Standard User path6336
(member) Wed 28-Sep-16 10:40:41
Print Post

Not had experience of that model, but an older one with attached USB 3g dongle.

Draytek's website www.draytek.co.uk is very helpful, but essentially I have found the following to be of use in the Draytek web interface.

Online Status - My connection uses WAN2 and I can see the TX and RX packets for the current session - though this is not useful if your connection drops and reconnects a lot.

Diagnostics - Data Flow Monitor - If you enable this is will show each individual connection to the Draytek from your attached devices in real time - useful to check if any of your PC's are sending/receiving more than you think!

This next I have not tried - Port Mirroring - sets up a duplicate Ethernet port to track data from the main port and log it. Possibly useful for you in this situation - the web site gives some information on setting it up.

HTH
  Print Thread

Jump to