General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Wed 12-Oct-16 21:40:32
Print Post

Change from 02 to BT?

[link to this post]

My combined phone and SIM 02 contract expires this month. I intend to keep my Galaxy S5 as this does all I want.

So SIM only monthly contract would suit me but which one.

I have BT broadband at home so could get £5 discount. Only need 2GB data which would cost me £8 per month compared with retaining 02 at £18 per month. BT more expensive for Euro roaming, I think, £4 versus £2 per day; 02 Euro conection and billing has never been a problem. Just go abroad and pay my £2 a day. My wife always has problems with EE; rarely does she get connected. EE seem to want her to tell them each time she goes abroad; cant accept that they should just connect and bill like 02. Wonder if BT had same rules as EE or simple like 02?

Coverage. Up to now my wife and I have always used different networks to try to have coverage in most places; this has been of some use. But as she is on EE and BT uses EE we should both have the same dead spots. My 02 coverage has been very good.

I want to retain my phone number as I have had the same number for many years.

Obviously cost favours BT but coverage could be problem and travelling as well. Keeping number is fairly important to me. Finally I do like talking face to face as I can with 02 but cant with BT.

Any advice please?
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Thu 13-Oct-16 16:33:13
Print Post

Re: Change from 02 to BT?

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

It all depends on coverage in the areas you need it go with the one that offers you coverage and value.

But if moving to bt just ask o2 for your PAC to port the number to bt

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Oct-16 21:38:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
Just go abroad and pay my £2 a day.

EE has a similar offer if you have an EXTRA plan - on SIM only you need a larger amount of UK data, then its £3/day.

My wife always has problems with EE; rarely does she get connected. EE seem to want her to tell them each time she goes abroad; cant accept that they should just connect and bill like 02. Wonder if BT had same rules as EE or simple like 02?

As BT is a MVNO on the EE network likely to be the same. When you say "problems getting connected" do you mean for data? If you have international roaming enabled on your account (which may need a credit check, depending on your status with the network) then EE always lets me use voice and SMS - but I have to choose a roaming data plan (on the phone itself) before I can use data.

I want to retain my phone number as I have had the same number for many years.

Just ask O2 to supply you with the PAC (which stands for Porting Authorisation Code) and give this code to EE when you have the new SIM only service up and running and they will move the number over.

Any advice please?

One reason BT is cheaper is they don't have any mobile shops - if you want to talk face to face, you could look at EE but they don't have a discount for BT broadband.

One advantage of EE is you already know the coverage pattern, but it is likely to improve over time.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-16 21:42:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I am confused. With 02 I just go to Europe and am charged £1.99 per day for data and £0.00 for texts; no made any calls from Europe. I don't remember doing anything to set this up just went to Europe and used texts and data and got the above charges.

With EE I think my wife needs to get a bolt-on for Europe for texts and data? Also seems a lot more expensive than 02?

As for BT I am struggling to find out how to setup roaming at present. It may be come clearer once I have an account. I think data is 4.3p per MB (02 is unlimited for £1.99 per day)

Next year all envisaged foreign trips are in Europe for both me and wife, France, Eire, Netherlands, Croata, Austria and Madeira; however may change. I need to find out what BT mobile would charge before committing. Of course the BT Broadband discount will also figure in the assessment.

Any advice please?
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-16 05:12:42
Print Post

I find three the best deal

£23 a month for unlimited handset data + 30GB hotspot with unlimited texts and minutes they also have feel at home in many countries

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Roaming in 42 countrys with no extra cost.

AAISP FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
  Print Thread

Jump to