General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Thu 10-Nov-16 16:46:18
Print Post

EE data SIM not working on TP-link Archer MR200

[link to this post]

I recently took advantage of EE's "double your data" offer on my EE Huawei wifi dongle (64GB for £28/m). But when I put this SIM into my TP-Link Archer MR200 4G router I get no connection. The router throws up an error message saying "check you configuration." I have tried the standard APN settings used by my EE wifi dongle, plus various other combinations but with no luck. Could it be that EE is refusing to connect to a SIM in a third party router? The same router worked fine with a data SIM from 3 which I tested a few months ago. Anyone else had an issue similar to this?

The APN settings I was using, among others, was as follows
APN - everywhere
username - eesecure
password - secure
authentication - I tried with both PAP and CHAP but with no luck
Standard User mikerner
(newbie) Fri 11-Nov-16 10:46:03
Print Post

Re: EE data SIM not working on TP-link Archer MR200

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

Never had an issue like this, but do you know anyone with an EE router (edit: to test it)? Could be that you're right about the SIM refusing to work with 3rd party hardware.

Edited by mikerner (Fri 11-Nov-16 10:46:48)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Nov-16 12:01:33
Print Post

Its unlikely to be the SIM rejecting the hardware, more the hardware doesn't understand the SIM for some reason.

I don't think you need a username or password, just the APN name of -> everywhere

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Signhopuk
(newbie) Fri 11-Nov-16 23:14:54
Print Post

Hi
Yes same problem here, mine is a shared sim on EE.working perfectly until 9th November.
Sim stopped working in router, however when switched for my main sim all working again..When broken sim is placed in iPhone all works but as soon as put back in to router no internet.. Contacted EE several times they are aware of the problem and trying to resolve it..
I've been told there not sure what's happening but it has been passed to there level2 dept, apparently happening to lots of other people..
Terry
(learned) Sat 12-Nov-16 15:22:32
Print Post

[re: mikerner] [link to this post]

The SIM works just fine on my Huawei E5776 mifi router.

Went to the EE shop today and bought a PAYG data SIM. Put that in the Archer MR200 and still no connection to the internet - so that rules out a faulty SIM card.

In desperation I have ordered a HUAWEI E5186 4G router which I have read good things about. Fingers crossed it will work in that and I can put the TP-LINK on the bonfire.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-16 00:32:17
Print Post

Could the TP-Link be locked to a network other than EE? What network was it 1st on?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(learned) Thu 17-Nov-16 08:00:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The MR200 works fine with 3 and O2 SIMs, and I think, though I can't be sure, that it did used to work with EE so can't be locked - just doesn't like EE SIMs for some reason (or EE SIMs don't like it).

I have now switched to a Huawei E5186 router which accepts the EE SIM with no problems, giving me a lovely 20 Mbps up/down around the house on a 64GB data allowance which is a big improvement over my BT ADSL 2 down/0.7 up

TP-link now destined for the recycling bin.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Nov-16 11:56:49
Print Post

Sorry to be a pain, but that solution sounds like it might suit me, and get rid of the landline. I can look up the router price easily enough, but how much is the EE SIM please? Preferably a pointer to the page to see options.

Their website sent me nuts yesterday simply trying to look at what to replace my EE phone SIM with when my phone+package contract expires. That's a different question altogether of course, and months to go. My FTTC is out of contract and with the landline quite pricey.

Tried again just now and can't find anything resembling 64GB on mobile broadband, where they seem to want to bundle in one of three or four routers/devices, or on phone SIM only.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(learned) Fri 18-Nov-16 07:40:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I used to have a Huawei E5776 with an EE SIM (32GB) on a rolling one moth contract for £28/month. After several months EE sent me a text saying I could get double data at no extra cost if I switched to a 12 month contract which is what I'm on now.

Their website doesn't show this deal - the nearest is their 32GB SIM found here.

This is the message they sent me: "Hi Chris, as you're enjoying your 4GEE Data SIM, why not crank up your data allowance by moving to a 12-month plan. Get 64GB data for £28 a month. Call to discuss: 08009563104"

I think this is just one of those deals where you have to phone up that number and ask. It may help that you are already an EE customer -perhaps threaten to leave if they don't. Feel free to mention me if it helps.

Good luck!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Nov-16 08:59:47
Print Post

Perfect - thanks smile. I shall do some arithmetic! I have at most half a dozen people I expect to call me on the landline and all bar one I don't see minding if I ditch it. I assume you are still happy.

I have EE Extra 4G with an unnecessary (at the moment) 4GB per month on my mobile, 24-month bundle with phone purchase ending in March, so that's also a bargaining factor.

Did speedtests on that from the room my FTTC modem and router are sited and got 40-50 Mbps down, 11Mbps up. That would be fine. Remarkably close to FTTC but definitely on the 4G. Wifi was disabled on the phone and my mobile data usage shot up.

I was intrigued by you getting 20Mbps both ways. Do they set things up differently for data SIMS?

Incidentally I can't find any mention of tethering in my mobile contract, neither yes or no. I expected it to be stipulated in there somewhere. [puzzled].

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to