General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Sun 27-Nov-16 10:41:30
Print Post

4G 800MHz with a BT Mobile SIM

[link to this post]

So, EE are rolling out 4G800 at the moment but you need to be either a Pay Monthly or SIMO customer to get it.

But what about those of us on SIMO with BT Mobile, will we be getting 4G800?

The other part of the requirement was that the device is VoLTE enabled, now my phone (Nexus 5x) is VoLTE enabled, but I have never seen it in action with the BT SIM, so will that exclude me from the 800MHz roll out also?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-16 11:53:03
Print Post

Re: 4G 800MHz with a BT Mobile SIM

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by connormill:
So, EE are rolling out 4G800 at the moment but you need to be either a Pay Monthly or SIMO customer to get it. But what about those of us on SIMO with BT Mobile, will we be getting 4G800?

The other part of the requirement was that the device is VoLTE enabled, now my phone (Nexus 5x) is VoLTE enabled, but I have never seen it in action with the BT SIM, so will that exclude me from the 800MHz roll out also?

EE have made no statement about BT Mobile, LIFE mobile (soon to be Plusnet mobile) users. I believe you don't get WiFi Calling either, so probably no access to 4G Calling. An EE supported 4G Calling (VoLTE) handset is required before you can connect to any 800mhz signal. (In a similar way to how Three does it with their SuperVoice 800mhz signal).

Android handsets generally need to be purchased from EE to work with their 4G calling, apparently the Google Pixel phones do work. But only with EE contracts (handset or SIMO) - not EE PAYG, not any of the MVNO's.

Maybe later in 2017.

(Not much 800 actually enabled yet, its a slow rollout!).

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Nov-16 12:18:04
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Considering that BT Mobile (or any other EE MVNO) don't even offer 4G calling yet then its safe to assume 4G 800MHz won't be coming to BT Mobile anytime soon. I'd imagine EE will first ensure that their own customers have a flawless service on 800MHz before letting MVNOs use it. Most likely it won't happen before 2018.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.63_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 27-Nov-16 12:25:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Nov-16 12:45:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have a Sony Xperia Z3. The UK version, as with most makes, is different from some overseas ones.

I'm on EE Extra, and get a 4G data signal. However the setting for VoLTE in the overseas google results isn't present on mine, and I'm getting an IPv4 IP address check.

On Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-16 12:54:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I have a Sony Xperia Z3. The UK version, as with most makes, is different from some overseas ones.

I'm on EE Extra, and get a 4G data signal. However the setting for VoLTE in the overseas google results isn't present on mine, and I'm getting an IPv4 IP address check.

On Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow).

If its not bought from EE then even the model is on the list to be supported, it won't be. My LG G5 with generic LG firmware doesn't work on EE VoLTE but any iPhone 6 or later will. Android and VoLTE has become really frustrating and confusing.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Nov-16 13:11:24
Print Post

It's from EE bought on monthly contract. (Expires in March). Though may not be a locked EE one - it and the contract came from CPW a fair bit cheaper than from EE itself.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Nov-16 13:13:08)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-16 13:21:41
Print Post

It's from EE bought on monthly contract. (Expires in March). Though may not be a locked EE one - it and the contract came from CPW a fair bit cheaper than from EE itself.

Yes its possible if it came from CPW that its not holding EE firmware. It may not be a handset EE support with 4G Calling.

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/4g-calling

You have an EE pay monthly plan or small business or large business 4GEE plan
you have one of these phones:
Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7 or 7 Plus
Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge - bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team
Google Pixel, Pixel XL
Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL
Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50
Sony Xperia XZ, X, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact - bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team
LG G5, G5 SE, X Cam - bought directly from EE in one of our stores, online at ee.co.uk, or through our telesales team
you've updated to the latest software version
you're in an area with EE 4G coverage

We’ll be making 4G Calling available on more phones soon.

Sorry, but 4G Calling isn't available if you're on pay as you go, T-Mobile or Orange.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Nov-16 13:26:41
Print Post

Looks that way. Not that it matters to me.

As I said though, it seems it is available on some at least international firmwares.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-16 13:28:34
Print Post

Looks that way. Not that it matters to me.
As I said though, it seems it is available on some at least international firmwares.

I gather basic VoLTE support is in some releases of Android but I've been told by people whom should know that VoLTE is incredibly complicated and its not as simple as pointing the device at a server and it just "getting on with it". Hence why network versions of firmware.

Print Thread

Jump to