General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-16 06:23:51
Print Post

Sky Mobile

[link to this post]

Sky Mobile to launch next month:
https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/sky-mobile

Allowing you to roll over unused data for up to 3 years sounds good.

However the pricing of their sim only plans appear to be nothing special though. £20 pm for a 5gb plan yet I'm paying £16.50 pm for a 16gb plan on EE (incl. unlimited calls + texts). Also I suspect being an O2 MVNO will put many people off wrt 4G speeds.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 02-Dec-16 07:50:08)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:11:27
Print Post

Re: Sky Mobile

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Agreed the 3 years thing is good.

Not so sure about the whole O2 thing, anyone who's ever tried one like Tesco Mobile or Giffgaff will know how shocking the speeds can be even when there is a fixed allocation (vs unlimited)

I've got BT Mobile 20GB with unlimited calls and texts for £15 and that's basically EE also - it's limited to 30mbps both ways unless I pay for full speed (£4 a month) but who needs more than that anyway.

Also is it £20 a month if you have Sky TV but £10 if you don't? and does that come with data or not? It's very confusing on first glance.

I know they compare TT but TT business is £8 a month for 4GB with UL everything - so they are not really competitive - okay so you could save up 180GB in 3 years if you never used your data on the £20 package.. But you could also pay £23 and use that every month on 3.

I guess this is being sold as the data equivalent of when your mobile credit never ran out until used on PAYG - like a few still do now.

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 02-Dec-16 11:15:19)

Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:20:16
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I was wondering about the O2 and giffgaff thing being similar, as moved the wifes phone on to giffgaff and it achieved the impossible of being slower than vodafone, not signal related as get full signal here.
My 3 contract is up next month and was thinking about going to sky mobile as have their top tv package and phone and BB with them, should I stay with 3 as their data speeds are great its just the voice calls that can be dodgy.....but who uses their phone to make phone calls anymore? lol
So do you think sky mobile might be like giffgaff then?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:27:07
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

It's another MVNO fighting with all the others for the scraps that aren't used by O2 contract/PAYG main customers

I tended to use 3's in touch app when I wanted to make a call and they were patchy. Over wifi for me it's like EE's wifi calling, just not built in.

I guess there is only one way to find out. I never had a problem with Three's speed where I used to live/travel. I got to admit that for an all you can eat service anyway. Yes EE do higher but their data is capped.

I am not sure how many MVNO's are on EE but I have no problems on BT Mobile. I am sure there are a few though.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:31:02
Print Post

I agree, I was willing to give them a try if the price/tariffs where right...

That's not the case though, and as you said the O2 network is woeful in my experience, having signal is great but not being able to do much with it sucks.

Currently on EE and despite a few small issues and the lack of coverage at my mothers it performs very well.

I soon to be out of contract with EE, I considered trying Vodafone's sim only but for some reason I can't get through credit checking process with them.... weird considering I didn't have any issues with EE (Who'me I've had 2 debts with in the past and have an outstanding Orange account even still) I also got Apple's finance on the iPhone 7 without any problems.... anyway the experience with their customer service put me off recently anyway.

Hopefully EE can offer me something decent for a sim only.

Sky's long and annoying launch has been disappointing... I actually reckon that if it weren't for their potential mobile launch that I may have been in favour of an alternative Fibre provider (not that I have any issues with their BB)

Connected by Sky Fibre Max.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:35:37
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

EE is super speed data everywhere (50Mbps even in central London) and the calls coverage is much better than my vodafone handset.

I would say if you want the best of everything seriously consider EE, they have some good deals every once in a while.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:38:39
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

but for some reason I can't get through credit checking process with them.... weird considering I didn't have any issues with EE
I have vodafone via work, but you are not alone. My old vodafone account seems to be messed up because they force me to login when I make a purchase and then decline me for anything even a 12 quid sim only.

I have a credit score of 950, never missed a payment on any of my finance, a 20k limit on my barclaycard, EE for over 5 years with no missed payments, 2 amex credit cards all paid in full every month.

I think there's something weird with vodafones credit checking process. I now just avoid them.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:44:27
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Also is it £20 a month if you have Sky TV but £10 if you don't? and does that come with data or not? It's very confusing on first glance.

I believe its £20 pm for a 5gb data plan + free calls + free texts (if a Sky customer), however non Sky customers have to pay an extra tenner a month if they want unlimited calls & texts included.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:50:33
Print Post

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll stick with BT mobile for now I think. I never hit more than 1mbps when I tried giffgaff, infact I threw my sim in the bin after 20 minutes (the lack of stress was worth the £10 I lost)
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Fri 02-Dec-16 11:51:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I actually paid early termination to get my wifes contract ended early with Vodafone, found dealing with them too stressful, even worse than Virgin Media and thats something, I put a giffgaff PAYG sim in her phone and although maximum signal data is like GPRS, was going to try sky with the option to move mine when my contract is up with 3 next month but looks like staying with them or go to EE thanks to you guys sharing your experience, and yes when I took it out with vodafonr they wanted a £150 deposit due to credit score lol even though I've no issues there lol
I used the 3 calling app but the issue for me is it didn't go in the standard call logs or txt chain, thats important to me, unless it does now?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to