General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:06:53
Print Post

BT Mobile has a new plan.

[link to this post]

30GB for £20 if you have BT at home - if not £25. Comes with the usual Unlimited Mins, SMS and Wifi. New and existing customers.

Just spotted it in my account and wanted to share smile
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 22-Dec-16 22:31:58
Print Post

Re: BT Mobile has a new plan.

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I'm also seeing 15GB + Extra Speed for £16 a month - so £3 a month off for the extra speed.
Standard User pewe
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:07:15
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Do you have a link to this offer - all I can find for new customers is a 15GB deal for £21 pm.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Dec-16 13:01:04
Print Post

[re: pewe] [link to this post]

It was a promotion running and has expired now unfortunately.

Virgin are running 20gb for £15 though if you're keen, it says it is 4G and that would run on EEs network. That's the best deal I see for a service that uses EE but I only looked for 5 mins smile

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/d5808a...
Standard User pewe
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-16 13:22:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks ukh.

I am currently on a trial of the 40GB package from 3 (got about 10 days of the 14 left of the trial).

That's priced at £20 per month.

I am getting max signals for 4G on the router and it speedtests at between 18/23 Mb/s down and 8/10 Mb/s up.

I am getting this with the supplied free Huawei router positioned in the attic with no external antenna.

Next door have EE and they say they are getting about 50 Mb/s with an external antenna - but are paying £38 per month for 50Mb.

I am not sure if the 3 service will increase in speed if I fit an external antenna, or if I'm getting the best speed possible for my location, but if I found a similar price from EE with increased speed within the next week or so it might be worth considering.

The problem with the Virgin deal is lower data volume for not much of a saving, and I'm not sure that EE would give them the same speed for their customers.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Dec-16 15:39:03
Print Post

Worth nothing BT mobile is speed capped, it runs on the EE network but you do not get the double speed data like EE customers.

If you want speed go direct to EE but at the price you're paying you won't beat it easily.
Standard User pewe
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-16 16:36:12
Print Post

Thanks again ukh.

That's what I thought.

Not sure I need more than 20 mb/s anyway - don't play games (not at my age) and most of what I download (apart from Windows updates) is speed capped anyway.

It was always frustrating, with 0.6Mb/s on the landline, not being able to watch iPlayer to catch the odd missed program, but with anything over 5 Mb/s I could do that anyway.

When I told my neighbour I was looking at £20 per month for 40GB he said he now wished he'd asked me for input before committing to £500 installation (paid for by a Government scheme) and £38 per month for the extra 10GB / month from EE - he doesn't need 50Mb/s either.

Thanks again.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Dec-16 18:17:36
Print Post

In terms of an external antenna I don't know from experience if it will make a huge difference, but certainly on EE I can get 60Mbps with just 2 bars of phone reception indoors (iPhone 7). This makes me think it's less about signal strength and more about utilisation on the cell site.

I am sure very weak signal greatly depreciates the speed though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 31-Dec-16 18:17:50)

Standard User pewe
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-16 18:28:30
Print Post

I think we are right.

I went next door and connected my router to their outside antenna - and the results were slightly worse than I was getting in my attic.
I only got 2 bars and the speed was slightly down at about 15 Mb/s.

So I think I'll settle for what I'm getting - it's certainly a lot faster (40 times) than I get with my TalkTalk landline service.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Dec-16 18:36:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by pewe:
I went next door and connected my router to their outside antenna - and the results were slightly worse than I was getting in my attic. I only got 2 bars and the speed was slightly down at about 15 Mb/s.

Three and EE may share the same mast, but their antenna panels can be at different heights which can give different effects - this may explain why using the antenna made things worse. Also the antenna may be slightly directional and pointing at a mast that only provides EE services (maybe with Voda or O2 as well).

Three has less spectrum capacity for 4G signals, which means if a lot of people in your area take up the service then they have less capacity to share. This is why you're getting slower speeds. EE has a lot of spectrum capacity (as does Vodafone) in comparison - which is why they can achieve 50 megabit/s and faster speeds in a lot of the country.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to