General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pewe
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-17 14:08:38
Print Post

Re: BT Mobile has a new plan.

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It is just frustrating that the networks no longer publish - and won't tell you - where their masts are so we can point antennas in the right direction rather than all the fiddling about to try and find the best signals.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-17 16:14:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

what are three's 4g speeds like?

I get 60/30 pretty much 24/7 on my EE

Three 3g here gets approx 200-400kbit at 4am, and about 50-100 kbit in busier hours. Not tried 4g tho.
O2 gets about 1-2mbit/sec on 3G.
Giffgaff which I have tested 4g, gets about 6mbit/sec at night and about 1mbit in the day.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jan-17 16:46:36
Print Post

[re: pewe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pewe:
It is just frustrating that the networks no longer publish - and won't tell you - where their masts are so we can point antennas in the right direction rather than all the fiddling about to try and find the best signals.

You can look at third party maps such as http://cellmapper.net and you can install (on Android devices) the free Cellmapper app, and contribute to such third party maps. These maps are made by people driving around with the app running on their phone and it logs the cell signals and direction and computes where the actual mast is.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jan-17 16:48:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
what are three's 4g speeds like?

Can vary dramatically, I've seen 5 to 10mbps upto 80 mbps in a quiet area. I no longer have a 3 SIM but I know others that do. Some parts of the country seem to be better on 3G for Three; due to so many people now on 4G capable phones, tablets, MiFi devices. Soon I suspect Three will have to move some of their 3G capacity over to 4G.

I get 60/30 pretty much 24/7 on my EE
I get 50/15 here at home, and in town I've seen 100/30. (Town centre mast has more capacity allocated).

Giffgaff is the poor cousin to O2, generally gets slower speeds than O2 users standing side by side. That is how they're cheaper.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 01-Jan-17 16:49:04)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 05-Jan-17 15:06:49
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Worth nothing BT mobile is speed capped, it runs on the EE network but you do not get the double speed data like EE customers.

If you want speed go direct to EE but at the price you're paying you won't beat it easily.

I can see £16 for 15GB double speed on my account.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 05-Jan-17 15:07:25
Print Post

[re: pewe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pewe:
Do you have a link to this offer - all I can find for new customers is a 15GB deal for £21 pm.

Thanks

Sorry I saw it in my account, if I had known it was an offer I would have changed. I do keep checking though
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to