General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 18-Jan-17 15:09:12
Print Post

BT Mobile Speed Increase?

[link to this post]

I started to notice things download a lot faster on 4G. so I did a test. I am on the 20GB package for £15 a month - and yet I am maxing out today at 60mbps which I thought was an extra cost?

Anyone else getting this? I am using a OnePlus 3T and this literally started to happen today
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 19-Jan-17 11:19:14
Print Post

Re: BT Mobile Speed Increase?

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Seems like they didn't know the phone was out - caught it and then banded it as it's back to normal today frown
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-17 15:31:53
Print Post

What speeds do you see?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 19-Jan-17 21:48:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I was maxing out at 60mbps which I think is the extra speed limit. All I know is my data went down a hell of a lot, so I have decided to downgrade to the 500MB option, then cancel with 4 months to go and they will charge me abut £14 to leave

And then I will have to go back to 3.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-17 22:17:13
Print Post

Wouldn't mind Virgin adding an increased speed and on to their packages,,,, currently max out at 24/7mbps regardless of signal strength or area....

Can't complain for £15 a month and no contract though.... not noticed any issues with my usual usage.... would be nice to get VoLTE again though.

Matt

Connected at home and on the move by Virgin Media.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-17 20:22:13
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,

Well I dumped them today and went back to 3. £15 a month for AYCE data texts and 600 mins - which is more than enough for me I use the TTB Talk2Go app more than I do minutes anyway - and I was getting through 20GB on BT like nothing
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 21:08:43
Print Post

Hi mate, fair enough, been tempted b y 3 a few times but my experience has been dire to say the least and as silly as this will sound 'I don't like having no 2G to fall back on'...

Specially considering where I'm going to be living for a bit.

Saying that Virgin may struggle as well, but I'll see what happens.

Matt

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 10:15:48
Print Post

I've never seen it fall back to 2G, or I don't think so anyway.

It's hit and miss for me. Last time I was getting insane speeds but now on this new contract at the same place i get less than BT. But the data is back constant again which is the main thing. BT mobile was good value and good coverage and signal, but the 20GB didn't last long, admittedly 3 weeks out of the month, but still not enough.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-17 11:55:24
Print Post

it amazes me how much data you manage to use every month laugh

I thought I was a heavy data user, despite me dropping my usage considerably over the past year or so.

Matt

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 12:04:17
Print Post

Yes - but you get like 150mbps when you speedtest. I get 20-30 ha!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:35:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
and as silly as this will sound 'I don't like having no 2G to fall back on'...

I always thought that Three used roaming onto Orange as their 2G fallback. But, as I just found out, it seems they canned that a long time ago.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:41:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yes many many moons ago they ditched that. Things have got better I can't recall a time I have ever had 2G fallback even when it was in service. I once watched Netflix non stop through a rural bus location, it was the only network that let me do it - this was in 2012.

My O2 phone got signal for about 30% of the same journey.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:41:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I always thought that Three used roaming onto Orange as their 2G fallback. But, as I just found out, it seems they canned that a long time ago.

There may be some very remote places where it is still operating, but Three canned it across most of the country when I still had my 3GS, somewhere between 2009 and 2011. Basically it cost Three a lot of money for the fallback, and they put the money into the MBNL share with Tmobile to really improve the network.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:42:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Yes many many moons ago they ditched that. Things have got better I can't recall a time I have ever had 2G fallback even when it was in service. I once watched Netflix non stop through a rural bus location, it was the only network that let me do it - this was in 2012.

Tmobile was quite similar when you locked to 3G on the handset, but would fall to 2G too easily - for phone calls I suspect.

My O2 phone got signal for about 30% of the same journey.

Round here O2 was great for muffled phone calls (low bandwidth) on lots of 2G. There was no 3G - just like Vodafone, until CTIL upgraded things in late 2013 for 4G.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 22-Jan-17 13:43:02)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:49:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

And then you get all the giffgaffer's jumping on to fight for the low grade scraps from the O2 customers.

It's mad.

I've stuck with 3, not so much for brand loyalty but because they are the only All you can eat provider and they have also been true to that. I don't use massive amounts, prob about 25GB a month but I'm out a lot of the day a lot of the week. So it's actually made me consider dropping one of my FTTC lines or replacing it with low grade ADSL.

I know many many people used to use 3 as a landline alternative and that's why they stopped unlimited tethering. But for the price they charge, what you get these days is a decent offering.

Sorry I ranted and forgot my point.. oh yeah, You get what you pay for - and in my area O2 was never worth the outlay.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to