General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 00:45:49
Print Post

Re: Ideas to improve broadband speed: 3G / 4G a good option?

[re: AdamInTheSticks] [link to this post]

Yes, I was mainly trying to sort the VOIP problem, and cloud uploads.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-17 08:59:14
Print Post

Bonding a few ADSL lines together could also be a potential solution - downsides are cost and even with 3 lines you'd get a max of 12 meg down and 1.4 up.

Im also on a 20CN Market A exchange but get 8128Kbps sync so am planning to bond two of those together.

Also - completely off topic. I grew up in Llanon not to far from you! Lived there until 2009.
Standard User AdamInTheSticks
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-17 12:32:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Yes, I think going for the ADSL "Max Premium" option would be the best (only) way of increasing upstream (and maybe also traffic priority) on my existing fixed-line broadband - so I will probably give that a try soon. But 0.8Mbps upstream is still not fantastic for larger uploads etc, in the longer term.

So I'll continue investigating the options of 4G and FWA too.

Many thanks once again.

Kind regards,

Adam.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-17 13:14:51
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

I agree Huw, ADSL line bonding is a good idea if it's worthwhile. But, for me, to get over 10Mbps down & 1Mbps up, as you say, I'd need 3 lines - very expensive! I think that would be a last resort (well, apart from Satellite, which is the *very* last resort [I can understand using it on moving vehicles/ships or somewhere where there isn't even a landline capable of 0.5 Mbps downstream, but otherwise...]).

But, as you sync at 8Mbps on your line, then you'd get a decent 16 down by line bonding.

For my part - I think I'll continue investigating 4G & FWA (via a WISP or point-to-point wireless link).

I may also try the ADSL "Max Premium" for a while, to see if that helps.

Ah, Llanon, near Llanrhystud - I pass through there quite often when I pop up to Porthmadog from time-to-time! Still the old vintage bus at the Aberystwyth end of the village! I bet if you were still there, you'd have FTTC or FTTP by now: LLANON Exchange...! The Llanon exchange (like many of the smaller exchanges in Ceredigion) appears to offer the possibility of FTTP for future connections.... I wish we had that possibility at Rhydlewis exchange! Oh well...

Think I'll get the TP-Link Archer MR200 4G router (and maybe Solwise Antenna too) and have a play around with that (can also line bond my ADSL line to that if necessary via my DrayTek router, although data caps become an issue with 4G, ok for occasional or light use).

Anyway - thanks again Huw, some more ideas to think about.

Diolch yn fawr iawn! smile
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:00:55
Print Post

Indeed it goes - both my parents and sister still live there (so I'm back often) and they both have FTTC.

Have you looked at FTTPoD? Probably not viable but worth a look.

As you said - I'd probably be looking at FWA in your situation. 4G in that area is a bit flaky but the EE 800Mhz switch on my help you in that regard.
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-17 16:14:27
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Yes, FTTPoD is another (very expensive!) possibility! But - doesn't the exchange have to have FTTP equipment installed? Or do they extend fibre from an FTTC cabinet? Anyway, it's probably too expensive (even if it was an option, which it may not be...) - although could be considered for a small shared community project I suppose.

FWA will be a line of enquiry. However, yes the 4G signal is flaky here - but there's a spot in the field below the house where I can get it - anything from 10Mbps to 30Mbps downstream & 2Mbps to 20Mbps upstream - and I could always build a DIY mast at that location, something like this: DIY Mast !!
(My 4G location is under 50m from the house).

However, the 4G router and outdoor antenna may just be enough - fingers crossed!

(Also, made an error before: my DrayTek router doesn't bond the lines, of course, but provides for Load Balancing and Failover spread over up to 4 WANs - very useful anyway).

A bit later on, I'll also make further enquiries to the nearby WISPs.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 18:47:51
Print Post

FTTPoD is run to the premises from fibre aggregation points, in the same way as FTTC cabinets. Normally I believe any individual's would run from the AG that their FTTC cabinet runs from, but that isn't necessarily always the case. No additional exchange kit is required other than that which handles FTTC.

In general if you can get FTTC you can theoretically get FTTPoD. If you can't get FTTC, you can't get FTTPoD.

You can see by putting your phone number into this checker. (I suppose even if yours doesn't show FTTC, that if your phone cabinet has an FTTC pairing FTTPoD could run, but the cost would be astronomical. The minimum installation charge by Openreach to a wholesaler or ISP is £1100, and for that you have to be within 199 metres of the aggregation point. At 400-599 metres it's £2500. Annual line rental £1188.

All plus wholesaler and retail profit margins and Vat. Also subject to feasibility survey and possible further costs. Priced list.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-17 19:14:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS for the information.

At least that rules another option out - as there's no phone cabinet nearby - I am on a long EO line (as are all my neighbours and, as far as I know, everyone in the hamlet of Bwlchygroes - the nearest cabinet is about a mile away in the village of Ffostrasol, where they can get FTTC).

I've now ordered the TP-Link Archer MR200 4G router and external antenna - I'll see how I get on with this. It won't be a substitute for FTTC/P or even FWA, but, if it works ok, will be a useful boost (with careful use due to 4G data caps!), also a useful backup link, and may tide me over until (if!) Superfast Cymru does upgrade our Post Code area (it's still in the Planning Phase apparently - maybe they'll install a cabinet in the village for the EO lines to move to, or we may get nothing), or otherwise until something better comes along.

I'll also investigate FWA via WISPs a bit later in the year.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 22:29:45
Print Post

I use a portable 4G WiFi device when travelling, or as backup - a Huawei E5372 which has some (not brilliant) antenna sockets. When coverage goes iffy, I add that Solwise antenna.

If you get dubious coverage indoors, then the antenna placed outdoors definitely helps. Probably not as good as a full fixed directional yagi (or a pair of them), but useful.

I have a loft-mount aerial pole fixed to a heavy board, so I can try out locations. I imagine a camera tripod would do too. Mounting high up will help enormously.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-17 23:01:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by AdamInTheSticks:
I wish we had that possibility at Rhydlewis exchange! Oh well...

for info - tweets from EE's CEO re Wales coverage.
https://twitter.com/MarcAlleraEE/status/822038098032...

https://twitter.com/MarcAlleraEE/status/822040545312...

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to