General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 08-Apr-17 10:00:56
Print Post

Mobile phone masts

[link to this post]

The arrival of a new 'brother' for an existing EE mast around here (a 'bigger brother') prompted me to look for the mast data I used to use to find it is now 'gone'. Is there a new source anywhere?

Incidentally, a large label on the new cabinet proudly proclaims 'T-Mobile'?? I thought they had been 'subsumed'.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Apr-17 10:06:59
Print Post

Re: Mobile phone masts

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

If you're thinking of Ofcom's Sitefinder, it stopped being updated a long time ago and was no longer useful. So far as I know, there is no generally available and up to date public source of technical mast data for the mobile networks, though there are various crowdsourced mast databases from site tracker apps.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Apr-17 11:03:06
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

yeap people are relying on crowd sourced stuff

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Apr-17 12:26:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikejp:
The arrival of a new 'brother' for an existing EE mast around here (a 'bigger brother') prompted me to look for the mast data I used to use to find it is now 'gone'. Is there a new source anywhere?
Crowd sourced info is on https://cellmapper.net - anyone with an Android cellular device can contribute.

Some of the SiteFinder data seems to be on https://mastdata.com/

Incidentally, a large label on the new cabinet proudly proclaims 'T-Mobile'?? I thought they had been 'subsumed'.
Yes I believe the legal entity is now a wholly owned part of EE Ltd, which is fully owned by British Telecommunications plc. That doesn't mean the legal entity of T-mobile has been closed - it will probably take years to transfer assets and update planning records etc. This doesn't affect legal ownership, or the day to day running of the network, its just names.

A mast near me has Orange Personal Communications stickers on its cabinets, even through its fully an EE 4G converted mast.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 08-Apr-17 13:14:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks, JC. Sites (naturally) not fully up-to-date.

Edited by mikejp (Sat 08-Apr-17 13:16:46)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Apr-17 14:52:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikejp:
Thanks, JC. Sites (naturally) not fully up-to-date.

The reason Ofcom closed Sitefinder was closed was that the networks were no longer providing updates after some copyright issue. (I can't recall the reason). For many of the networks the data was over 10 years old.

So mastdata is worth checking for the legacy information, and then cellmapper is only as good as where people have driven around their area and mapped it. Checkout the Hull area and you'll see some very enthusiastic students have mapped that area extensively on all 4 physical networks!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to