General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Henriuk
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 16:44:27
Print Post

Relish 4G

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,
I am new here.
Someone has given me a Relish Router and I am thinking in trying the service. I live in W2 and I was just wondering if anyone can enter in their router setup and at LTE tab tell me which values are there.
I want to establish if I can get a good signal or not before I commit to the service because as I am reconnecting the service am not entitled to the 14 day guarantee so I will have to stick with one month of service.
My values are:
LTE information
DL Frequency: 3590000Khz
Bandwidth: 20000Khz
RSRP1: -115dBm
CINR0: 4 dB
TX Power: 23 dBm
Cell ID: 3
UL Frequency: 3590000kHz
RSRP0: -117dBm
RSRQ: -9db
CINR1: 5dB
PCI: 442
ENodeB ID: 330106

Their customer service are useless. They asked me the number of lights showing at the router but then realise as I don't have an account and not connection there can't be a any lights on the router. The previous owner obviously cancelled the service.

Thanks
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:14:30
Print Post

Re: Relish 4G

[re: Henriuk] [link to this post]

RSRP of -115dBm down and -117dBm up is very weak. -120dBm is a value often given as the absolute limit of coverage.

Can you site the router in a different location with better RSRP values? RSRP is always negative; the closer to zero the better. In other words, -94dBm is a better RSRP than -96dBm.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Edited by David_W (Thu 27-Apr-17 18:40:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:35:10
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

You've duplicated the -96dBm David smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Troll-a-day
Troll-a-day
I suffer from them
Everyday.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:41:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You've duplicated the -96dBm David smile.
Now fixed - one was meant to be -94.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 20:07:57
Print Post

Have you checked for a fixed line FTTC service such as BT Infinity it will usually be better than Relish in terms of stable speeds and stable connection.

At -115db you might find speeds / reliability is not amazing.
Standard User Henriuk
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:25:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
After putting the router in few places the best I've got was:
LTE information
DL Frequency: 3590000Khz
Bandwidth: 20000Khz
RSRP1: -106dBm
CINR0: 7 dB
TX Power: 23 dBm
Cell ID: 3
UL Frequency: 3590000kHz
RSRP0: -113dBm
RSRQ: -9db
CINR1: 12dB
PCI: 442
ENodeB ID: 330106

The CINR increased a lot. Is it good?
Standard User Henriuk
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:33:19
Print Post

Yes, I have checked. I live in a Victorian Convertion house in central London and there is not telephone installation to my flat. I will have to pay extra to install and it is a temporary place till my flat is ready after the roof collapsed! Luckily there weren't no one at home...
Standard User Henriuk
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 08:03:33
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Well, I went ahead and connected the service anyway as it is a monthly basis, no contract and I could cancel anytime.
With the last parameters I posted I am getting between 7.5 to 12.5Mbps down and 1.5 to 3.5 Mbps up and I haven't had any disconnection since the service was activated but.only time will.tell...
It is far from perfect but I am getting better speeds than my neighbour's ADSL which is 7Mbps maximum.
I noticed that between 10pm to 2am is when the connection gets worse, around 7.5-8Mpbs down and 1.5Mpbs up maybe because the number of people.using it!?
At the moment, 8am, I am getting around 12.5Mpbs down and 4Mpbs up and 15 ping!
So.I will keep.posting if I encounter any problems so people thinking in getting Relish service will be warned.

Edited by Henriuk (Mon 01-May-17 08:11:37)

Standard User Henriuk
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 14:35:19
Print Post

I don't know if it will help anyone but I made a makeshift reflector with piece of cardboard (18" X 10") covered in aluminium foil and placed it behind the router. It really increased the signal with a gain of aprox 10-12dB, which is not so bad for a simple solution like this. The RSRQ also went down 2-3dB and the CINR0 increased 3-4db.
But this will affect the Wi-Fi signal so I am using an old Huawei HG633 router that was laying around for the Wi-Fi signal only and the Relish router as a Modem/Lan. I disabled the wireless funcion on the Relish but let it manages the DCHP instead of forward to the Huawei router. With this config, I am getting 3 bars and usually RSRP below -100db.
The service has been reliable so far, no disconnections, but I notice that the service really degrades during peak times and weekends which is not a problem with signal but is probably due the service been oversold in my area.

Edited by Henriuk (Mon 15-May-17 16:41:10)

Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 16-May-17 17:43:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Henriuk:
but I notice that the service really degrades during peak times and weekends which is not a problem with signal but is probably due the service been oversold in my area.
Yea i get the same but it's not "sold" in my area as we are deemed to far away from the mast but i rigged up an external antenna to do my business plus bought a new router, I have seen people modding those Gemtek routers to take an external antenna, but we all know your not supposed to do that, also go back to them and ask for one of the new routers they have, i suspect people you talk to will have no idea what you are on about but i know the new people who bought UKBB out said they would be using a new router to get over some of the issues with old Gemtek so it may be better of the bat or may take ext ant.

All1
  Print Thread

Jump to