General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 07-Jun-17 20:08:18
Print Post

Using 4G Data SIM for home network

[link to this post]

OK, I am one (of the many people) who have rubbush broadband at home. At best, we get around 1.3Mbs due to our distance from the exchange. We are unlikely to have fibre provisioned anywhere in the near future.

I have recently re-visited the idea of using 4G. My SIM comes with 25Gb data and using it as a hotspot and connecting my PC, I managed to get around 20 Mbs.
I have now bought a 50Gb data SIM, on a rolling 30-day contract.

Putting it into my phone and connecting my PC, I now manage to get about 45Mbs Up and 20 Mbs Down !

I'm wondering if there is some way of connecting my existing household router to this SIM, allowing the whole household to connect to it (50Gb will be enough even between us, but I would keep an eye on it). The router is hard-wired to my PC and printer, and also to powerline connectors throughout the house.

I understand that you can connect a router to an existing network via cable, but I need to connect it ('if' it can be done) to the SIM wireless hotspot.

Alternatively, I believe that there are special routers that accept SIMs, such as the ones here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unlocked-Configurat...

Though these are £100 !

Is this the only way of sharing my 4G network? Or the 'best' way of sharing it?

Or is there some other way?

Cheers,
Don
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Jun-17 20:42:17
Print Post

Re: Using 4G Data SIM for home network

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

What is the make and model of your existing router? Some if they have USB ports will support a 4G USB dongle as the WAN/Internet connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Wed 07-Jun-17 21:32:41
Print Post

I am in the same situation as yourself with no usable fixed line BB available in my area so I use 4G/LTE. I don`t know about connecting the sim to your existing router but I have the router you linked to and it works very well and was easy to set up.
On a side note, is your 50Gb contract with Vodafone ? If it is there is a data cap available but it is not turned on by default and you have to contact customer services either by phone or web chat to get it activated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 07-Jun-17 23:34:11
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

Yes it is the Vodafone SIM.
Thanks for the advice - I will look into this smile
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 08-Jun-17 06:04:59
Print Post

If money was no option, something like a Draytek 2860 LTE version.
All in one box for ADSL/VDSL and LTE - would allow you to setup policy routes and load balancing, which would let you stop certain traffic from a device or to a certain location not using up all the LTE and instead stay on the ADSL etc.
There might be some cheaper alternatives.

Edit: Sorry just seen price of that one, bit OTT really!

Edited by Rolandrat (Thu 08-Jun-17 06:17:26)

Standard User don9999
(regular) Thu 08-Jun-17 08:49:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Am with Sky Broadband, so currently using the latest Sky model.

And have a range of other 'free' supplied routers from EE etc...

The 'newest' independent router I have (but not currently using) is probably a Netgear DGND3700.
I'll need to check what functionality it haas.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Jun-17 09:26:44
Print Post

If your existing router has a USB port then something like thismay work. But such devices won't use the radios in your router, they'll use the built-in radios to receive/transmit the data and due to their small size won't give you great coverage

A dedicated 4G/LTE router is your best bet, as this will transmit the internet signal through its own radios as well as through the lan ports. The TP Link you linked to is probably your cheapest 802.11ac router option.

------------------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps