General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Thu 06-Jul-17 23:38:28
Print Post

Re: Here we go; Three UK implements T-Mobile Binge On in UK

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
In reply to a post by toph3r:
Your individual experience is completely irrelevant to the macro picture concerning network usage.

At the thoughts of someone outside the country, are completely irrelevant to me.

Where I am located has absolutely no bearing on the discussion.

Your comment, however, where you basically outlined a statement from 3 showing unlimited wasn't sustainable network wise for them yet thought it confirmed the complete opposite is a demonstration of your willful ignorance on this topic.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jul-17 00:25:08
Print Post

[re: toph3r] [link to this post]

It won't though. They lull you in with this, then make it mandatory to stream anything past 480p quality, allowing them to charge more money each month.

I highly doubt we will get that kind of setup over here, we have a small land area with absolutely fierce competition. All providers have good coverage, even 3, and prices are decent. Providers are moving in the direction of providing more for free e.g. giving you Spotify free for 12 months, Apple Music free for 6 months, Sports channels for free, my plan even has data abroad in 49 countries inclusive.

I pay £40 for 7gb data, unlimited calls + texts, £0 downpayment on the handset. 4G data in 49 countries. I am on one of the more expensive networks also, EE. In the US the prices are much higher for the same plans & the providers have much more land to cover.

We have had zero traffic management on pretty much all home internet providers & mobile networks for a very long time.

Mobile providers over here did not make the mistake of offering unlimited data, but you can get 50Gb plans etc for heavy users. Network 3 does offer unlimited but even so, the majority of their plans have a limit.

We did used to have T-Mobile, their coverage sucked, they joined with Orange - merged the networks and formed EE.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Fri 07-Jul-17 00:26:27
Print Post

Think fly-fishing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 01:27:25
Print Post

seems to work fine here (i would expect london to be a problem 3 really needs more aggressive traffic management on congested masts or add more masts, does not help that 3 has the lowest amount of frequency allocation for 3g and 4g, its amazing that 3 works so well really)

also PAYG 3 gets lower QOS priority vs contract 3 customer so if your on PAYG on 3 in london dont expect it to work (3 payg sim at this house can't even load the my three account page on the phone when its around 5-7pm if on 3G, but works fine on contract)

just by having 2 phone side by side i could see that for myself with direct line of sight and less than 100m away (hardline mast different location from above, witch uses a small microwave link ), PAYG 3 sim was getting less then 6mb/s , the contract sim was a little odd as it was busting at Constant speed of 28mb/s (a flat line) for about 5 seconds then doing fixed constant 20mb /s for about 10 seconds switching between one and the other until download was finished (might of been somthing to do with the DPI as my phone does not report tethering, but 3 can still detect it as speed was constant on the phone on the phone it self)

yes my EE sim gets faster data speeds but i can blow away the 25GB of data in 5-10 days if i tryed, i do use a lot of data on 3 around 40-80GB a month *twitch and youtube"

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Fri 07-Jul-17 14:18:10
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I highly doubt we will get that kind of setup over here, we have a small land area with absolutely fierce competition.

I'm not sure I would use the word 'fierce' to describe the current state of the UK cellular market, though I do agree, there is definitely a lower price point of entry than the US.

All providers have good coverage

See, that is where I fundamentally disagree. I have spent most of my life in England, and despite being based abroad now, I come back every 3 or so months. It wasn't until I moved to the US until I realised just how useless cellular coverage is in the UK. Even when I come home (and use either 3 or EE) there are many rural areas still stuck on 2G or limited UMTS. It took _forever_ for the UK to deploy LTE, and even when they did technologies such as Vo{LTE|WiFi}, wideband LTE and carrier aggregation have taken forever to deploy.

Even then, it is really only EE who is making any progress in this direction. The others appear to have given up.

I pay £40 for 7gb data, unlimited calls + texts

That is INCREDIBLY expensive. I pay $50 for Unlimited everything in the US (I am grandfathered in) but even an unlimited plan from VZW is now $80 (£50 in new money; ignore current exchange rates as they are not reflective).

We have had zero traffic management on pretty much all home internet providers & mobile networks for a very long time.

That's simply not true. EE uses traffic management extensively, so does 3.

Mobile providers over here did not make the mistake of offering unlimited data

Is it a mistake? Or simply refusing to provide for the consumer what they desire? I suspect the latter.

Edited by toph3r (Fri 07-Jul-17 14:18:52)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jul-17 14:50:45
Print Post

That is INCREDIBLY expensive

You missed the fact there was zero payment for the handset so the handset charge is included within the £40 per month. If say that handset was an iPhone 7 then that would be an incredibly good deal - but without knowing what handset is included it is difficult to say if it is a good deal.

My own SIM only deal on EE is £19.99 per month with 12GB data, unlimited calls and texts plus includes roaming to europe and the US.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Fri 07-Jul-17 15:47:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You missed the fact there was zero payment for the handset so the handset charge is included within the £40 per month.

No, I saw it. It is still an expensive contract, especially when you consider the total over 24 months that user will pay. It is almost _always_ cheaper to buy the phone outright rather than go through a carrier. Plus, possessing a locked phone is a complete non starter IMO.

Why UK networks are still bundling phones with contracts is beyond me. It's a hoodwink to kid people into not knowing the total price they're paying for the phone. Thankfully that awful practice has been completely eliminated here in the US (the phone is a separate cost detail on your bill), the UK should follow suit.

My own SIM only deal on EE is £19.99 per month with 12GB data, unlimited calls and texts plus includes roaming to europe and the US.

That's a _far_ better deal.

Edited by toph3r (Fri 07-Jul-17 15:47:19)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jul-17 08:23:17
Print Post

Some of the operators now are moving to a model where the phone payments are a loan that is bundled in the monthly payment. At the end of the loan period the contract goes back down in price as phone is paid off.

A lot of people want the £600 handset but can't afford (or don't want to) the upfront payment so being able to get it spread over a year or two means they can buy something they otherwise couldn't.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jul-17 09:41:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Some of the operators now are moving to a model where the phone payments are a loan that is bundled in the monthly payment. At the end of the loan period the contract goes back down in price as phone is paid off.

A lot of people want the £600 handset but can't afford (or don't want to) the upfront payment so being able to get it spread over a year or two means they can buy something they otherwise couldn't.

Agreed, I used to buy outright but this tine I did actually go for a contract phone on EE. SO far no problems. Ive been frugal with the usage but I could see the 40GB going in 5-10 days too. After all - Home connection 74mbps. EE connection , well it's hit just shy of 300Mbps at my house. Which is a fair way from Cardiff, but then agin at Cardiff I struggled to get anything 3 couldn't deliver. I was about 1/2 mile from the stadium when I tried.

Edited as I forgot to say. I was paying £28.80 a month for a phone loan and £25 for the sim only contract. Which looking back made no sense. I could change my phone when I wanted sure but still, no sense..

Now I am paying £45 and I get more than I had before - it's 24 months, but then again so is my home connection.

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 10-Jul-17 09:42:51)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jul-17 23:35:20
Print Post

So i'm on AYCE plan

why will this change for me?

i use about 150gb a month.

AAISP FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to