General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Apr-18 03:18:20
Print Post

Re: Three home-fi 100GB/month for £30

[re: rodgerredhat] [link to this post]

Bit off topic but I have an Asus DSL-N55U router and a 3 ZTE MF-112 PAYG dongle which I have set up in failover mode. Has anyone had this setup working as I cant test as I dont want to waste a SIM just on a test?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:29:28
Print Post

I hope it's better than the data they give phone customers. 6GB out of 100 I could use due to the poor speed, they let me go in the end.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 20:15:14
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Where abouts are you?

i always get decent speed on 4g and h+

Plusnet FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 21:05:26
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Well Reading town centre today about 13:00

Three 4G = 1.1 Mbps on iPhone 7
Three 3G = 3.8 Mbps on iPhone 7
Vodafone 4G = 15 Mbps on iPhone SE
EE 4G = 81 Mbps on iPhone 8

YMMV.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:00:30
Print Post

Hi rogerredhat,

Mostly it is working as desired. However, there are some issues from time to time.

About once a week the Huawei router stops routing, but the Vigor doesn't notice and keeps sending packets through it. That causes everything to slow down significantly (worse than Plusnet ADSL2+ alone) until I power cycle it.

The other recurring problem is that the Three throughput is very variable. Most mornings the an ookla speedtest will give a load-balanced result of >30Mbps down, ~28Mbps up (great for working from home), but some evenings it falls to 18Mbps down (I get 12Mbps via Plusnet) and 4Mbps up. Still better than ADSL2+ alone though.

I did set my TV to use ADSL2+ only to save bandwidth, but I hit issue with Plusnet being unable to support iPlayer in the evenings (8pm to midnight) which looks to me like congestion somewhere (it works fine at other times, and most other high bandwidth applications are unaffected) , so I now use Three alone for that - which has increased my Three usage quite a bit. I am still managing to keep it under 100Gb/month though.

As I run my own mail server, all outgoing mail is routed via ADSL, as most mail relays will treat mail sent from a server with a Three address as spam. The Vigor allows you to route specific traffic via specified routes, so it is possible to use the Three connection in whatever way works best for you.

I may well change to EE at the end of my Three contract (in my area EE is much faster - I have measured it at 78Mbps down 48Mbps up on my phone!) if I can get a reasonable deal.
Standard User rodgerredhat
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:58:12
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

I think I read that quite positively smile thanks so much for all the detail.

Itís a tough call isnít it because any other provider will only give you 50Gb max and that could easily get used in a month.

The DrayTek is great but I suffer the same problem as you - if one of the WANs is down in a particular way that the router thinks itís still up, then all traffic suffers. Would be great if you could set a throughput minimum like you can when itís in failover mode.

You speeds appear to be good, my Three reception has been quite variable and I have been testing some antennas from Alibaba (AliExpress) my house does look a little Heath Robinson whilst I test Three using a PAYG SIM before I sign.

I think unlike you I have two VDSL lines inbound (TalkTalk and Vodafone) whereas you have just Plusnet (btw it sounds like itís worth moving from Plusnet because my combination of the two VDSL providers works 100% now for 1 month).

Do you mind if I go a bit off-topic and ask about you DrayTek setup? Have you experienced problems with DNS when your primary WAN fails (or you unplug it in a test). From what I can tell the router has primary DNS and it uses WAN1ís DNS details for this, which of course when WAN1 is down then renders WAN2 useless because the DNS requests donít work. I have even created some load balancing routing rules that I can turn on/off to test the speed of each individual WAN from my phone (ie: if I enable a particular routing rule it forces my iPhone traffic down a particular WAN so when running Speedtest I get just that WANs result - thatís the theory anyway because it doesnít work, and it it seems to be because of a DNS issue (I think). Wondered if you knew what I was doing wrong?

Thanks again, very reassuring to hear your story and I think itís worth the Ďriskí of at least me trying Three for a year!

Cheers
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 09:50:16
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
as I cant test as I dont want to waste a SIM just on a test?

For 99 pence, you can get a sim off ebay with 200 MB which is good enough for testing. I've used deals like this in the past.
For instance this one : (others probably available) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pay-As-You-Go-Data-SIM-wi...
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:16:52
Print Post

Dont forget that the three sim comes with unlimited Netflix (if thats helpful), which allows me to get a 4K stream when I can only get 720p on my ADSL.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:41:06
Print Post

I mainly use OpenDNS as my dns servers, so it isn't dependent on WAN1. You can set the DNS for each LAN separately so if you use VLANs you can have each using different DNS settings - useful if like me you run several incoming and outgoing VPNs, so for example I can set the VLAN I use for my work computers to use my work DNS, while other users (on other VLANs) use OpenDNS.

The options are quite mind-boggling, so I use a problem-led approach - i.e. when I hit a problem I find a way to solve that, rather than trying to design a set-up that anticipates all the problems I might have.

For example, one outgoing VPN doesn't like load balancing - it sees packets originating from a different IP address to that used to establish the VPN as a MITM attack, and drops the connection. Solution is to just use WAN1 for that connection.

As regards having 2 VDSL lines, I'd love to, but I'm in a Market A area where we have only just upgraded to ADSL2+ four months ago. There is no Virgin, TalkTalk, Sky, Vodafone, or most other ISPs available - BT's ADSL2+ is the only choice, and Plusnet are one of the cheapest ISPs that can set up rDNS. The better ISPs (ZEN, AAISP) can't provide anything better as they rely on the very same BT infrastructure (there's no non-BT back-haul at all). A second ADSL2+ line would only add another 1Mbps to the upload (which is a big issue for me), so the 4G is much better than a 2nd ADSL line. We should (fingers crossed) get FTTP in a year or two.

As regards the risk of a 12 month contract, I figured that even if it didn't work out it was only £360, and I get an unlocked 4G router. Do check what the 30 day contract deal is though - when I signed up it was the same price but you had to pay £££ for the 4G router. If the price is still the same and you don't need a router that may be the better option anyway.
Standard User rodgerredhat
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 12:37:49
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Iím not sure I have read that.

Are you sure about this? And that this is for the DATA ONLY sim?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to