General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 12:41:37
Print Post

Re: Three home-fi 100GB/month for £30

[re: rodgerredhat] [link to this post]

Im sure, ive got the 40GB home-fi - the thing with the Huawei B310 wifi router for £24 a month. On a good month I hit 100Gb over my allowance on Netflix. (Thats a rolling month contract also)

I believe any contract with over 4Gb data attached to it gets free "Binge" for netflix and some other stuff.
Ive just increased my mobile contract from 2Gb to 4Gb and Binge now appears on my account.

Edited by Rolandrat (Tue 03-Apr-18 12:43:30)

Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 15:24:16
Print Post

Go Binge is available with pay monthly data contracts (at least those above 5GB/month). Unfortunately it doesn't include Amazon Prime or iPlayer, which are what I tend to use to stream video
Standard User rodgerredhat
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 15:40:49
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

I read that Vodafoneís version of this, if subscribed to, doenstrps your streaming of their inclusive services so you cannot stream 4K. Does Three do the same?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Apr-18 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Where abouts are you?

i always get decent speed on 4g and h+

South Wales
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Apr-18 20:39:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My current readings from today in aberdeen

Three 4G = 32.3Mbps on honor 8
Three 3G = 11.6Mbps on honor 8

Don't have any other sims

Plusnet FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:19:28
Print Post

Itís a tough call isnít it because any other provider will only give you 50Gb max and that could easily get used in a month.

Have I read this out of context because EE offer 50GB/ 100GB and 200GB on their 4GEE service?
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:41:31
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Good call Rob, well reminded.

Not out of context at all. I think itís a price point thing.

Threeís 100Gb is £30/m. EEís 100Gb is £45. 200Gb £60.

Perhaps you get what you pay for :-/
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:55:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodgerredhat:
Perhaps you get what you pay for :-/

Will know when the kit is installed! I'm hoping my client can get along with 100GB as £45 isn't too different from what they are currently paying BT for ADSL. They struggle to even send emails at the moment. All other options at this site are hitting brick walls like Vispa and whilst OpenReach have installed fibre about 500m away, it's unlikely to come up their lane anytime soon as that's a very expensive dedicated install for a groups of farms.

Most people in Bollington are on EE and the service is pretty reliable. I've just checked the 3 coverage map and it's okay outdoors at my client - similar to EE.

The main advantage of the EE service is that you can go PAYG on a monthly contract as long as you're okay buying the 4G modem/router for £100 up front. Because of the above uncertainty with FTTP, my client doesn't want to sign up for an 18 month contract and then OpenReach go "ah ha, have FTTP" smile
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 11:32:43
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

A wise decision I think Rob.

If you are looking at 4G to replace A/V DSL etc then reliability is your first criteria, then speed, then limits.

For me Threeís 4G 100Gb will be used to supplement my existing 2x VDSL lines using load balancing on my DrayTek. They currently give me 45Mbps combined. With Threeís 4G the total load balanced download speed will be 75Mb. If any line(s) go down the others continue to work. Thatís what this thread was discussing, but your story is interesting Rob smile

The only glitch could be that 100Gb is not enough for a month, even when taking into account the other two lines. Although my two other lines are unlimited in terms of download the Three connection can be terminated by the router when it reaches 100Gb automatically. But the whole point of having it is to increase overall speed and I donít want to have 1 week at the end of each month where I have reached my limited, it kind of defeats the object!

These days I am staggered how much downloading my household does. Today I have around 50 devices that all use the internet, from IoT to laptops and Sky, Sonos, etc. But the DrayTek is quite smart and will allow me to route traffic from certain devices through just one connection - for example Sky, where speed isnít really important when downloading a film to watch live (as long as itís fast enough to watch without buffering I am happy). This will then alleviate download being spread onto the Three 4G connection.

Oh, and the reason for all of this is in the first place is because I work from home and want my work computer to have the full 75Mb speed. Previously sharing a single 25Mb line with my kids during the summer holidays was causing me some issues!

Message ends smile
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 14:55:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodgerredhat:
The only glitch could be that 100Gb is not enough for a month, even when taking into account the other two lines [snip] These days I am staggered how much downloading my household does. Message ends smile

Indeed and of course once you get higher speeds, you're tempted to do more. This install is for a 2-3 person office doing relatively light admin. I'm going to have to stress that they must not use it for video streaming. They can't do that at the moment anyway but the temptation will be there.

For a business, the £60 for 200GB/month is a perfectly acceptable amount to pay. I see to recall us paying £15k a year plus £10k install for a 10Mbps leased line not too many years ago.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to