General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Fri 29-Sep-17 11:48:40
Print Post

Three home-fi 100GB/month for £30

[link to this post]

Just in case there are people waiting for an affordable 4G home broadband solution, Three are currently offering 100GB a month with the Huawei B310s-22 LTE router included for £30 a month on a 12 month contract.

Their website only has the 40GB plan for £24 (which isn't a bad price, but is a bit low on data for me). The 100Gb is available in-store however. Apparently, the 100Gb offer is not available in some areas (presumably their backhaul wouldn't cope in some locations) which is why they don't offer it online.

I'm now using this in combination with ADSL Max - load balancing between the two using a Vigor 2860n+ . The ADSL give me a static IP, the 4G gives me a welcome speed boost (particularly upload). So far it is all working nicely.

BTW the router is unlocked, so could be used for other networks.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Sep-17 08:05:05
Print Post

Re: Three home-fi 100GB/month for £30

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Cheers for the info - wink

Good deal.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 30-Sep-17 11:43:46
Print Post

That's a very good deal compared to most. I'll have to pop in store and see if its available for me. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neilh1962
(newbie) Mon 02-Oct-17 08:26:18
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I went for this deal yesterday.
As well as a 12-month contract you can also have it with a rolling 1-month contract for £30 a month, but you have to pay £59 up front.
A better option for me as I'm hoping to get fibre in the not too distant future.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Mon 02-Oct-17 09:39:12
Print Post

[re: neilh1962] [link to this post]

Another feature is that there is 12GB/month roaming allowance if you travel to Europe or some other countries. The router is mains powered, but is relatively portable, or the SIM could be put into a mifi or similar. Handy when on holiday or (like me) sometimes travel for work.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Oct-17 20:57:37
Print Post

Thanks for the info. I had posted elsewhere about there being a 100 GB offering, but because the sales queue was lengthy, I gave up before getting a firm price quoted (I had asked if Three planned to offer 250 or 500 GB to compare with EE, and told no, on web chat, but then the sales person said to phone or visit a store for 100 GB deal "for about £30".

You've now confirmed the actual price, and thanks for the additional info on why it might not be available nationwide. I hadn't thought of that explanation for it not being shown on the website (but I suppose it avoids ASA complaints that it isn't available everywhere)... .

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User onthenet
(member) Sat 28-Oct-17 11:22:21
Print Post

Re: Three home-fi 100GB/month for £30 *DELETED*

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Post deleted by onthenet
Standard User onthenet
(member) Sat 28-Oct-17 11:23:21
Print Post

Thanks for this info, signed up and got the £2 discount for being a 3 custormer so £28/mth for 100GB, perfect for what I need.

Have been stumbling along at 1.5M for the last 8 years and now this smile

Speedtest

TalkTalk SimplyBroadband
Standard User j314
(newbie) Sat 28-Oct-17 19:28:15
Print Post

[re: onthenet] [link to this post]

Wow, that's actually faster than my FTTP, which is £46/mo.

On the other hand, I've currently exceeded 100GB in the last 4 days, so it looks like fixed lines aren't going away for me any time soon...
Standard User rodgerredhat
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-18 05:28:04
Print Post

Hi sheephouse,

Great minds think alike!! How are you getting on with Three?

I am looking to sign up to Three to add to my DrayTek too!!, How are you finding the service?

Couldnít believe it when I read your post - that you have a 2860n+ and signed for the Three 100Gb £30pm plan as a Ďtop upí for your load balancing DrayTek.

Almost precisely what I am doing!!!

I have Vodafone VDSL and TalkTalk VDSL into my 2862ac on session load balancing to give me around 50Mbps. Been testing/comparing with adding 4G into the load balance with Vodafone, EE and now finally Three. So far with Vodafone I can boost to £70Mb (but best they offer is 50Gb/pm) my Three tester PAYG SIM is due in the post today to test signal strength so really hoping it is at least as good as Vodafone.

I would be really grateful to know how you find the Three speed and service on that 100Gb tariff especially seeing that we pretty much have the same router and the same idea smile

Cheers

Edited by rodgerredhat (Fri 30-Mar-18 05:30:13)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Apr-18 03:18:20
Print Post

[re: rodgerredhat] [link to this post]

Bit off topic but I have an Asus DSL-N55U router and a 3 ZTE MF-112 PAYG dongle which I have set up in failover mode. Has anyone had this setup working as I cant test as I dont want to waste a SIM just on a test?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 10:29:28
Print Post

I hope it's better than the data they give phone customers. 6GB out of 100 I could use due to the poor speed, they let me go in the end.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Apr-18 20:15:14
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Where abouts are you?

i always get decent speed on 4g and h+

Plusnet FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 21:05:26
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Well Reading town centre today about 13:00

Three 4G = 1.1 Mbps on iPhone 7
Three 3G = 3.8 Mbps on iPhone 7
Vodafone 4G = 15 Mbps on iPhone SE
EE 4G = 81 Mbps on iPhone 8

YMMV.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:00:30
Print Post

Hi rogerredhat,

Mostly it is working as desired. However, there are some issues from time to time.

About once a week the Huawei router stops routing, but the Vigor doesn't notice and keeps sending packets through it. That causes everything to slow down significantly (worse than Plusnet ADSL2+ alone) until I power cycle it.

The other recurring problem is that the Three throughput is very variable. Most mornings the an ookla speedtest will give a load-balanced result of >30Mbps down, ~28Mbps up (great for working from home), but some evenings it falls to 18Mbps down (I get 12Mbps via Plusnet) and 4Mbps up. Still better than ADSL2+ alone though.

I did set my TV to use ADSL2+ only to save bandwidth, but I hit issue with Plusnet being unable to support iPlayer in the evenings (8pm to midnight) which looks to me like congestion somewhere (it works fine at other times, and most other high bandwidth applications are unaffected) , so I now use Three alone for that - which has increased my Three usage quite a bit. I am still managing to keep it under 100Gb/month though.

As I run my own mail server, all outgoing mail is routed via ADSL, as most mail relays will treat mail sent from a server with a Three address as spam. The Vigor allows you to route specific traffic via specified routes, so it is possible to use the Three connection in whatever way works best for you.

I may well change to EE at the end of my Three contract (in my area EE is much faster - I have measured it at 78Mbps down 48Mbps up on my phone!) if I can get a reasonable deal.
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-18 23:58:12
Print Post

I think I read that quite positively smile thanks so much for all the detail.

Itís a tough call isnít it because any other provider will only give you 50Gb max and that could easily get used in a month.

The DrayTek is great but I suffer the same problem as you - if one of the WANs is down in a particular way that the router thinks itís still up, then all traffic suffers. Would be great if you could set a throughput minimum like you can when itís in failover mode.

You speeds appear to be good, my Three reception has been quite variable and I have been testing some antennas from Alibaba (AliExpress) my house does look a little Heath Robinson whilst I test Three using a PAYG SIM before I sign.

I think unlike you I have two VDSL lines inbound (TalkTalk and Vodafone) whereas you have just Plusnet (btw it sounds like itís worth moving from Plusnet because my combination of the two VDSL providers works 100% now for 1 month).

Do you mind if I go a bit off-topic and ask about you DrayTek setup? Have you experienced problems with DNS when your primary WAN fails (or you unplug it in a test). From what I can tell the router has primary DNS and it uses WAN1ís DNS details for this, which of course when WAN1 is down then renders WAN2 useless because the DNS requests donít work. I have even created some load balancing routing rules that I can turn on/off to test the speed of each individual WAN from my phone (ie: if I enable a particular routing rule it forces my iPhone traffic down a particular WAN so when running Speedtest I get just that WANs result - thatís the theory anyway because it doesnít work, and it it seems to be because of a DNS issue (I think). Wondered if you knew what I was doing wrong?

Thanks again, very reassuring to hear your story and I think itís worth the Ďriskí of at least me trying Three for a year!

Cheers
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 09:50:16
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
as I cant test as I dont want to waste a SIM just on a test?

For 99 pence, you can get a sim off ebay with 200 MB which is good enough for testing. I've used deals like this in the past.
For instance this one : (others probably available) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pay-As-You-Go-Data-SIM-wi...
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:16:52
Print Post

Dont forget that the three sim comes with unlimited Netflix (if thats helpful), which allows me to get a 4K stream when I can only get 720p on my ADSL.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 10:41:06
Print Post

I mainly use OpenDNS as my dns servers, so it isn't dependent on WAN1. You can set the DNS for each LAN separately so if you use VLANs you can have each using different DNS settings - useful if like me you run several incoming and outgoing VPNs, so for example I can set the VLAN I use for my work computers to use my work DNS, while other users (on other VLANs) use OpenDNS.

The options are quite mind-boggling, so I use a problem-led approach - i.e. when I hit a problem I find a way to solve that, rather than trying to design a set-up that anticipates all the problems I might have.

For example, one outgoing VPN doesn't like load balancing - it sees packets originating from a different IP address to that used to establish the VPN as a MITM attack, and drops the connection. Solution is to just use WAN1 for that connection.

As regards having 2 VDSL lines, I'd love to, but I'm in a Market A area where we have only just upgraded to ADSL2+ four months ago. There is no Virgin, TalkTalk, Sky, Vodafone, or most other ISPs available - BT's ADSL2+ is the only choice, and Plusnet are one of the cheapest ISPs that can set up rDNS. The better ISPs (ZEN, AAISP) can't provide anything better as they rely on the very same BT infrastructure (there's no non-BT back-haul at all). A second ADSL2+ line would only add another 1Mbps to the upload (which is a big issue for me), so the 4G is much better than a 2nd ADSL line. We should (fingers crossed) get FTTP in a year or two.

As regards the risk of a 12 month contract, I figured that even if it didn't work out it was only £360, and I get an unlocked 4G router. Do check what the 30 day contract deal is though - when I signed up it was the same price but you had to pay £££ for the 4G router. If the price is still the same and you don't need a router that may be the better option anyway.
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 12:37:49
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Iím not sure I have read that.

Are you sure about this? And that this is for the DATA ONLY sim?
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-18 12:41:37
Print Post

Im sure, ive got the 40GB home-fi - the thing with the Huawei B310 wifi router for £24 a month. On a good month I hit 100Gb over my allowance on Netflix. (Thats a rolling month contract also)

I believe any contract with over 4Gb data attached to it gets free "Binge" for netflix and some other stuff.
Ive just increased my mobile contract from 2Gb to 4Gb and Binge now appears on my account.

Edited by Rolandrat (Tue 03-Apr-18 12:43:30)

Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-18 15:24:16
Print Post

Go Binge is available with pay monthly data contracts (at least those above 5GB/month). Unfortunately it doesn't include Amazon Prime or iPlayer, which are what I tend to use to stream video
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-18 15:40:49
Print Post

I read that Vodafoneís version of this, if subscribed to, doenstrps your streaming of their inclusive services so you cannot stream 4K. Does Three do the same?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Apr-18 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Where abouts are you?

i always get decent speed on 4g and h+

South Wales
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Apr-18 20:39:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My current readings from today in aberdeen

Three 4G = 32.3Mbps on honor 8
Three 3G = 11.6Mbps on honor 8

Don't have any other sims

Plusnet FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:19:28
Print Post

Itís a tough call isnít it because any other provider will only give you 50Gb max and that could easily get used in a month.

Have I read this out of context because EE offer 50GB/ 100GB and 200GB on their 4GEE service?
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:41:31
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Good call Rob, well reminded.

Not out of context at all. I think itís a price point thing.

Threeís 100Gb is £30/m. EEís 100Gb is £45. 200Gb £60.

Perhaps you get what you pay for :-/
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:55:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodgerredhat:
Perhaps you get what you pay for :-/

Will know when the kit is installed! I'm hoping my client can get along with 100GB as £45 isn't too different from what they are currently paying BT for ADSL. They struggle to even send emails at the moment. All other options at this site are hitting brick walls like Vispa and whilst OpenReach have installed fibre about 500m away, it's unlikely to come up their lane anytime soon as that's a very expensive dedicated install for a groups of farms.

Most people in Bollington are on EE and the service is pretty reliable. I've just checked the 3 coverage map and it's okay outdoors at my client - similar to EE.

The main advantage of the EE service is that you can go PAYG on a monthly contract as long as you're okay buying the 4G modem/router for £100 up front. Because of the above uncertainty with FTTP, my client doesn't want to sign up for an 18 month contract and then OpenReach go "ah ha, have FTTP" smile
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 11:32:43
Print Post

A wise decision I think Rob.

If you are looking at 4G to replace A/V DSL etc then reliability is your first criteria, then speed, then limits.

For me Threeís 4G 100Gb will be used to supplement my existing 2x VDSL lines using load balancing on my DrayTek. They currently give me 45Mbps combined. With Threeís 4G the total load balanced download speed will be 75Mb. If any line(s) go down the others continue to work. Thatís what this thread was discussing, but your story is interesting Rob smile

The only glitch could be that 100Gb is not enough for a month, even when taking into account the other two lines. Although my two other lines are unlimited in terms of download the Three connection can be terminated by the router when it reaches 100Gb automatically. But the whole point of having it is to increase overall speed and I donít want to have 1 week at the end of each month where I have reached my limited, it kind of defeats the object!

These days I am staggered how much downloading my household does. Today I have around 50 devices that all use the internet, from IoT to laptops and Sky, Sonos, etc. But the DrayTek is quite smart and will allow me to route traffic from certain devices through just one connection - for example Sky, where speed isnít really important when downloading a film to watch live (as long as itís fast enough to watch without buffering I am happy). This will then alleviate download being spread onto the Three 4G connection.

Oh, and the reason for all of this is in the first place is because I work from home and want my work computer to have the full 75Mb speed. Previously sharing a single 25Mb line with my kids during the summer holidays was causing me some issues!

Message ends smile
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 14:55:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by rodgerredhat:
The only glitch could be that 100Gb is not enough for a month, even when taking into account the other two lines [snip] These days I am staggered how much downloading my household does. Message ends smile

Indeed and of course once you get higher speeds, you're tempted to do more. This install is for a 2-3 person office doing relatively light admin. I'm going to have to stress that they must not use it for video streaming. They can't do that at the moment anyway but the temptation will be there.

For a business, the £60 for 200GB/month is a perfectly acceptable amount to pay. I see to recall us paying £15k a year plus £10k install for a 10Mbps leased line not too many years ago.
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 16:06:09
Print Post

Heh ye they used to be crazy prices. But yes to a business £60 is nothing, in fact when you make me look upon it like that £60 is nothing. £30 even less so - at home youíre comparing it to Sky etc so it seems a lot.

With the right router you could get them 2x 4G services in, make the second one Three as a warm failover.

Good luck with it all, hope it works out, and I hope they appreciate your efforts!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to