General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(member) Mon 02-Oct-17 08:32:40
Print Post

Voip on mobile data service

[link to this post]

Could someone please explain (in simple terms!) why many mobile networks do not offer VOIP services?

Edited by mikejp (Mon 02-Oct-17 10:02:12)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Oct-17 08:39:41
Print Post

Re: Voip on monbile data service

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Cuts into their call revenues - at least that is what it used to be a few years back. Plus mobile telephony is probably more reliable than data services and will work on a weaker signal.

Are you asking why they don't use VoIP to carry their telephony services or why they don't allow you to use VoIP on their data service?
Standard User mikejp
(member) Mon 02-Oct-17 09:47:15
Print Post

Re: Voip on mobile data service

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

NO 2. I'm not sure which 'call revenues' it is cutting into? After all, the customer has to buy data to use a VOIP service.

May I ask a supplementary, how do they block it? Is it by port blocking?

I have 'tidied up' my speeling on the thread title!

Edited by mikejp (Mon 02-Oct-17 10:06:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Oct-17 10:16:06
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

A few years back it was blocked because they made high call rates from mobile and international calls - why would someone pay for international call rates if they could use a relatively small amount of data over VoIP. Of course since then facetime, whatsapp, etc have all got much bigger and so the case is probably different now.

But, some mobile companies haven't decided to change the model yet.

Blocking is possibly done at protocol level - they will be monitoring for the specific protocol over any port so just changing port may not do anything to help (this is the same sort of blocking/prioritising that some ISPs such as PlusNet use).
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 02-Oct-17 10:25:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks, very helpful. Hopefully this useful addition to mobile facilities will become widespread. Certainly a couple of providers I have contacted are 'looking at it'.
  Print Thread

Jump to