General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Thu 12-Oct-17 17:46:40
Print Post

Best 4G router/external antenna?

[link to this post]

Hey there, so my village isn't going to get decent broadband for at least 18 months i'd say, we've just got a quote from bt via community fibre partnership and we are currently trying to get funding for it.

Anyways i borrowed my friends EE 4G router with an EE sim and i stuck it in my window upstairs and i was receiving around 20-30Mbps down and 1Mbps up and 45-55ms ping, way better than my 0.5Mbps down fixed line speed.
I tried online gaming but was unable to for some reason if anyone has any ideas let me know.
I was wondering what is the best 4G router to get? along with an external antenna.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Oct-17 19:05:24
Print Post

Re: Best 4G router/external antenna?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Online gaming should work, certainly does when I test by tethering to tablet with an EE SIM in it.

On best routers - the EE 4G Home may be best for the price.

There is this Zyxel device at £129 and that is dual band Wi-Fi and the power supply is just a 5V USB one, so could power device from a USB battery pack during a power cut.

Have checked and it does the 800 and 1800 MHz bands you want for 4G with EE

If you want/need external antenna, then the Huawei 4G routers sometimes have this option, the B390-S is a fairly old device that has that and the right bands (there may be a load of ex Relish 4G kit around so always check the bands of each device before ordering)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Thu 12-Oct-17 19:35:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about getting one of thehuawei 4g router, as they are a good shape/size to put on a window. See the 150MBPS one, will that only do 1/8 of the speed so like 18.75Mbps?

My plan was to just buy a router first and a couple of sims, one from EE and Three just to get an idea of how much usage i'll need per month, i'm not sure if Three works in my area but EE does for sure. So i may end up returning my router and getting the EE 4G Home router if i sign up to there contract, you can connect a external antenna to it right?

Is there a way to find out where my closest 4G towers are?

sorry for all the questions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Thu 12-Oct-17 20:14:30
Print Post

I use a Netgear LB1110, and then bought a external antenna from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L57AL10/ref=o...

I only use it as a failover plugged into WAN2 of my main router, but its been rock solid for 6 months +
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Oct-17 20:14:44
Print Post

Why do you say 1/8th?

The 4G should max out at 150 Mbps if all is well, other units can go faster.

The Wi-Fi side though is only 802.11 b/g/n so its possible the 4G might actually be faster than the Wi-Fi and given the congestion in the 2.4 GHz band if buying anything wireless these days its best to go for dual band. Of course you can skip that if you are happy adding an external wireless access point connected via Ethernet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Oct-17 21:26:16
Print Post

1/8th. Could this be comparing bits with bytes.
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Fri 13-Oct-17 17:44:08
Print Post

I thought a Megabit was an eighth of a Megabyte.
That why i was thinking a 150MB router would just do an eighth of the speed.

I seen that the EE 4G Home router had 2 connections, either 2.4Gz and a 5GHz, so connecting to the 5GHz one will provide the best speed?
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Fri 13-Oct-17 17:48:01
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 18:46:12
Print Post

The 150 router is 150 Mega bits per second

5 GHz will usually give a faster Wi-Fi connection assuming you are close enough, 2.4 GHz has a better range generally but less speed

Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Fri 13-Oct-17 19:11:20
Print Post

Ah, that makes sense.

2.4GHz may be better for me as i live in a large house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to