General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drmikehunthertz
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 19:15:41
Print Post

Re: Best 4G router/external antenna?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

I use a TP-Link MR6400 connected to a dual yagi (45 deg angle from each other) and I get solid 60Mbps down/30Mbps up on the Three network probably could get more with a shorter coax cable, so try to get the router as close to the antennas as possible and then run ethernet to an AP if necessary.

If you're going with EE I'd use a Huawei B525 cat6 router (£150) with either a Poyting XPOL1/XPOL2 (£90/£170) or dual yagi kit (£115), mounted on the roof or as high as possible.

If you already get a good signal without an antenna then I'd get an omni (Poyting) antenna.

(All prices were from amazon)

Edited by drmikehunthertz (Fri 13-Oct-17 19:20:25)

Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Fri 13-Oct-17 20:42:53
Print Post

[re: drmikehunthertz] [link to this post]

Thinking about getting this router any thoughts? Is the B525 worth the extra £100?

Like i said in an earlier post i was using a EE 4G home router and just tried it in one window and was receiving over 20Mbps download but only around 1Mbps upload. I think the XPOL1 would be the easiest to try if i decide i want to try and improve my signal, the only downside is that it has a fixed 5m cable which means it's not the best for positioning. Is the XPOL 2 and omi directional antenna?
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 21:14:37
Print Post

Does the EE router have antenna ports?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Fri 13-Oct-17 22:18:52
Print Post

Yes it does, the one i was using had 2 antennas similar to this
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 23:12:40
Print Post

Have you checked in settings that the router is set to 4G only?
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Sat 14-Oct-17 09:54:41
Print Post

I didn't when i had it, my friend has taken it back now. Is that an option for all 4G routers?
(newbie) Sat 14-Oct-17 16:46:41
Print Post

Yes it is, unless you have a very good 4G signal it will generally always opt for 3G like phones do causing you to receive much slower speeds.

I'm not sure if the EE router has that option so you might want to ask him to check and perhaps borrow again.
Standard User MikeJG
(regular) Sun 15-Oct-17 10:05:47
Print Post

Do you know a website that'll show where the closest mobile towers are?
Also is there a way to find out what my 4G down/up speed is without doing a speedtest? When i borrowed my friends router and i did a speetest on the ookla speedtest app it said i was using over 50MB of data per speed test, does it actually use this much date?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Oct-17 12:34:49
Print Post

Cell towers - there used to be, but got more and more out of date so less use than in years past.

On speed tests, depends on the site, if your speed is 40 Mbps down, then our test will use 40 MB in the downstream direction since we limit test length to 8 seconds. Rises to 80 MB if using the full single and multiple thread test, and a similar sum for the upload.

Some testers run for considerably longer times so may chew even more data.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Oct-17 12:50:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeJG:
Do you know a website that'll show where the closest mobile towers are?

O2 show the masts on their coverage map. Many of these will be shared with Vodafone now. Three and EE and Voda have no official map. The Ofcom map was discontinued.

There is a third party map which relies on crowd sourced input, people in the area with android phones running an app as they go around their town. The app then uploads the measurements and the site works out where the masts are. -> www.cellmapper.net

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to