General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cammy
(regular) Wed 07-Mar-18 19:19:43
Print Post

Re: EE's 4G broadband via external antenna

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I agree, there aren't many. The ones I have found so far are the Zyxel LTE7460-M608 which, for £350, is cat 6 and the 4GEE Home Router which is cat 7 (but the antenna is separate).
Standard User SWMB
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-18 19:27:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by SWMB:
So unless you have an LTE Advanced mast it is not really an issue

On EE rural many masts will be LTE Advanced, with Carrier Aggregation - in rural areas with band 3 (1800) and band 20 (800)mhz.

However I note that hardly any fixed installation technology is above Cat 4, whereas phones are up to Cat 12 or higher. (Cat 18 for Samsung S9 ??)

True, but you will only get LTE advanced on Band 3. Band 20 on EE is really used for VoLTE. But in LTE Advanced with Carrier Aggregation, you should get faster speeds than 100mb/s but even EE advertise 4G+ at 90MB/s in rural areas. Only one mast have I seen it exceed this in my experience.

Phones will always be well ahead of technology than the UK's 4G network!

what concerns me more than speeds is getting the network capacity large enough to have increased data caps!

Anyway this is a great article.

https://www.androidauthority.com/lte-advanced-176714/
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Mar-18 19:51:51
Print Post

[re: SWMB] [link to this post]

True, but you will only get LTE advanced on Band 3. Band 20 on EE is really used for VoLTE. But in LTE Advanced with Carrier Aggregation, you should get faster speeds than 100mb/s but even EE advertise 4G+ at 90MB/s in rural areas. Only one mast have I seen it exceed this in my experience.

CA is LTE Advanced. You'll see B3+B7 or B7+B7 and B3+B3 and also B3+B7+B7 in many big cities now on EE. Vodafone are also doing CA.

I thought that the 800mhz is usable for data with data SIMs, but phone SIMs won't attach unless the device is VoLTE capable. Its only 5mhz of bandwidth, but useful indoors.

Phones will always be well ahead of technology than the UK's 4G network!

Yes, that will always be the case.

what concerns me more than speeds is getting the network capacity large enough to have increased data caps!

EE often hits over 200mbps in a town centre, but generally around 40mbps in suburbs. In rural areas I've seen higher due to less users!

Useful link.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SWMB
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-18 20:55:04
Print Post

Were both agreeing with one another jchamier smile

But you are talking urban and i am talking rural.

800Mhz in rural is VoLTE. I have seen too many installers put a multi band 20 and band 3 antenna up only for the band antenna to switch to band 20 from a band 3 from a different mast..

The customer is unhappy because their home 4G broadband goes from 50Mb/s to 10MB/s. EE antenna is for band 20 and 3, but they don't know why.

Will be interesting I think. I am amazed in rural areas that EE picked up a dual band antenna for installation.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Mar-18 22:25:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by SWMB:
Will be interesting I think. I am amazed in rural areas that EE picked up a dual band antenna for installation.

I think they're planning ahead. Band 20 on both EE and Three is so small it can saturate easily, but has good indoor propagation.

It will be interesting to see how EE handle capacity for the next 10 years, compared to other network. Having a dual band antenna gives more choice.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 10:28:17
Print Post

Where do you buy the Mikrotik equipment from?
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 10:42:52
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Ahh I found https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-routerboard-sxt-...

Can't find an installation guide on the website but it comes with the metal ring shown here. I assume it also comes with the fixing bracket?

Thx...
Standard User Cammy
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 11:49:03
Print Post

It comes with a bracket and circlip for pole mounting it. It also seems to need a separate earth connection.
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 12:57:25
Print Post

[re: Cammy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the heads-up about the earth. That should be possible - I work with an electrician on-site. Very cost effective at £100 ex. VAT. I'm onsite next Monday when the Openreach engineer is visiting for the site survey for BTnet which I get the feeling is going to be £££. I'll have a look at install options. The 4G idea is a stop gap until hopefully Vispa get the area connected.

Next hurdle is an O2 reseller who offers a bit more than 30GB a month.
Standard User SWMB
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 00:21:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
Thanks for the heads-up about the earth. That should be possible - I work with an electrician on-site. Very cost effective at £100 ex. VAT. I'm onsite next Monday when the Openreach engineer is visiting for the site survey for BTnet which I get the feeling is going to be £££. I'll have a look at install options. The 4G idea is a stop gap until hopefully Vispa get the area connected.

Next hurdle is an O2 reseller who offers a bit more than 30GB a month.

Sorry, just read this.

Do not buy it if you want to use 02. They are on band 20 only. This is for Band 3 and Band 7 only.

You have to know where your mast is and what band it is on.

It is a directional antenna and is not that easy to set up. This is why Mikrotik are hard to buy in general.

They are more "aimed" at professional installers like ourselves, rather than a DIY, because you also have to set up pin, APN, know the signal strength in dBm.

If you do get it, and you know the band on your mast (most band 3 are EE), then you can do it. The DHCP address is 192.168.80.1 BTW if that helps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to