General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Sun 11-Mar-18 09:51:45
Print Post

Re: EE's 4G broadband via external antenna

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
Thanks for the heads-up about the earth. That should be possible - I work with an electrician on-site. Very cost effective at £100 ex. VAT. I'm onsite next Monday when the Openreach engineer is visiting for the site survey for BTnet which I get the feeling is going to be £££. I'll have a look at install options. The 4G idea is a stop gap until hopefully Vispa get the area connected.

Next hurdle is an O2 reseller who offers a bit more than 30GB a month.

If you're using O2 or Vodafone you'll need the WAP LTE

The SXT supports 1800 and 2600 only where as the WAP supports 800 and 2100 also

If you need O2 or Voda Sims above 30gb PM me, I can get you some good prices up to 300GB/Month
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Sun 11-Mar-18 19:42:13
Print Post

[re: SWMB] [link to this post]

It's almost like the client is doomed to never have decent broadband frown Thanks for the heads up. There is an Orange transmitter 1.7km away at Ilford Photo and EE, Orange & Vodafone 3.06km. I know that the EE signal on my phone at the site is pretty dire.

Hear what you're saying about professional installation. So do you cover south Manchester?
(regular) Sun 11-Mar-18 19:47:04
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Thanks Conner - I'm going on-site tomorrow to meet the client and Openreach so I'm hoping we can pull all this together soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SWMB
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-18 11:20:18
Print Post

Hi I dont, but if you PM you email and post code I can give you a map of the mast in your area. (it is usually about 3 months behind), but the most accurate one there.

PS I can get EE sims for you at 100GB and 200GB for £45 and £60 respectively.Much better value than 02.

Cheers

Russ
(regular) Mon 12-Mar-18 14:23:55
Print Post

[re: SWMB] [link to this post]

Thanks for this - the 4G route is currently on hold as Openreach came out to do the survey today and it transpires that there is a 100Mbps leased line terminated 100m down the lane and a conduit to right outside the premises. So it might be that the leased line installation isn't going to cost a small fortune.
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 12-Mar-18 22:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
Thanks for this - the 4G route is currently on hold as Openreach came out to do the survey today and it transpires that there is a 100Mbps leased line terminated 100m down the lane and a conduit to right outside the premises. So it might be that the leased line installation isn't going to cost a small fortune.

Better hope there are spare fibres in that duct then, they can't Tap/Split a leased line fibre so you may still have to pay install all the way back to the exchange
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-18 09:51:51
Print Post

Better hope there are spare fibres in that duct then, they can't Tap/Split a leased line fibre so you may still have to pay install all the way back to the exchange

The Openreach engineer said there was spare capacity so I assume he checked this.
Standard User Aerialuser
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-18 11:30:09
Print Post

[re: gunner] [link to this post]

My experience at 12km from the nearest exchange in Ceredigion: BT installed a Cabinet ( oh joy! ) 3km from the exchange to serve my area. There was an immediate effect on our ( unconnected ) broadband service - which had only ever reached 250Kbps, in any case. BT finally agreed that the new 21CN technology actually rendered our existing service so unreliable, that they told us that they could no longer provide a service, and released us from contract. I bought a 4G signal booster, an external aerial, a 6 metre long aluminium scaffold pole, and a 60G/month EE router. I now have a pretty reliable signal - often reaching 20Mbps. I have got rid of the landline, and used EE Pocket Landline to keep the number and port it to the mobile phone, and use EE wifi call. This has all resulted in a cheaper and more efficient system...as well as faster broadband! BT are doing ok out of it all...owning EE as they do!
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 21:19:46
Print Post

Certainly an interesting device and poe makes much more sense than RF feeder(s) between the antenna and receiver.

Do you have any idea how much data is used, just in stand-by, say over 24 hours or whatever? I am thinking of a use where actual data usage would be very small (control of heating system at a venue that does not have a telephone line, so ADSL not available).

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-18 10:53:57
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Looks like one of my new clients is going down the 4GEE route and we (electrician friend and myself) plan to install this antenna on the roof:

https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/15383-solw...

My client doesn't want to sign up to a fixed contract as fibre is tantalisingly close so they're going with the monthly PAYG option where they have to buy the router up front. EE don't seem keen to offer their own antenna to 3rd parties/not on contract.

My mobile is getting 20Mbps-30Mbps outside their cottage which is fine for their small business. The above is an omni-directional antenna - like my phone has. So we're hoping to get at least the above, maybe a bit more.

My question is whether a directional antenna would be a better choice?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to