General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 00:03:13
Print Post

Re: EE's 4G broadband via external antenna

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

That aerial does have a small gain, so should be fine. As I see it, the advantage of an omni-directional aerial is that should your intended 4G mast go off air, you may be OK with another 4G mast in a different direction. Whereas a directional aerial would have to be swung around to point to another 4G mast.

Mounting the aerial up in the clear should help too. At the turn of the century when I was still at sea, I found that a simple Omni directional magnetic base car phone aerial enabled much better phone and email data from within my cabin - this by putting the aerial as close to the window glass as possible.

However, don't extend the two coax feeders or you will loose more in the coax than you gain by good clear positioning. So in other words the 4G router has to be mounted close to the aerial.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User techtree
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-18 06:28:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

there’s no telling if they actually have the tools in-hand or not. In theory, the seller could order the tools directly to your house. Belkin Router Customer Service
Standard User techtree
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-18 06:30:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

https://babasupport.org/routers/belkin-router-custom...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-18 11:07:09
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Yeap keep the wiring as short as possible

Ideal world the router would be in the mast itself to reduce signal loss due to cable length and be powered by power over ethernet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 11:11:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wouldn’t just the modem suffice in the antenna assembly?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71456/14100Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-18 14:16:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just modem would suffice, but usually 4G modems are the router too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Mar-18 15:05:14
Print Post

Ta.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-18 19:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Just modem would suffice, but usually 4G modems are the router too.

Or you suffer the USB overhead problem, with a "USB modem".

Generally in networking, avoiding USB is the no 1 maxim. There is too much software to make USB work. I've not yet seen a 4G modem that is not built into a router (aka, does NAT/NAPT).

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 10:26:38
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Whereas a directional aerial would have to be swung around to point to another 4G mast.

However, don't extend the two coax feeders or you will loose more in the coax than you gain by good clear positioning. So in other words the 4G router has to be mounted close to the aerial.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. There are other EE 4G masts in the area so this would be useful. We're still not 100% sure which mast we're picking up as OpenSignal and wandering around the field points towards somewhere where there isn't a mast. But my client will grab 20-30Mbps as they are getting <2Mbps at the moment via ADSL. Upstream on ADSL is horrible... reminds me of dial-up modem days.

Fortunately their office is up the in the roof space with a handy skylight where the attenna could be mounted a few metres away. We're going to try it first without the antenna.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-18 15:52:00
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

If you have an Android phone, try Cell Mapper. If you set it to log, and drive around the fields (where you can) it will attempt to plot the actual location of the masts. You can also see if any are found on www.cellmapper.net

Its a lot better than the guesses OpenSignal does.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to