General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-18 10:44:43
Print Post

How accurate are OpenSignal mast locations?

[link to this post]

How accurate are the mobile mast locations on the OpenSignal app? Here is a screenshot from some testing I did for a client:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97bp49r4aiw1trq/Screenshot...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/64qqdw6bhfx3xlu/Screenshot...

The app indicated I was connected to EE | LTE Cell Tower 11993233 but we're pretty sure there isn't a mast in that location. It's on a friend's farm land and he would probably now if somebody had snuck a mast up.

There is nothing shown on mastdata for this location - the nearest is on top of Shrigley Hall (round marker) which most definitely is a transmitter.

Bit confusing but also bit confused with the huge variation of speeds we get in the valley. Esp. that leap to 40-50Mbps in the middle of the field! The big long red line is the ridge of a hill, i.e. the Shrigley Hall transmitter is behind the hill. We do have line of sight of Crocker Hill but that's 12km away - and my mobile was getting good upload speeds as well. Doubt it'll reach 12km...

Edited by robnicholson (Tue 27-Mar-18 19:04:19)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Mar-18 18:57:17
Print Post

Re: How accurate are OpenSignal mast locations?

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

OpenSignal is calculating the mast position based on the data it has. If you have the right roads, try driving around the guess mast location, and it may update.

CellMapper (on Android) is often better, but also has a website so you can see even without the app - www.cellmapper.net

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Mar-18 16:05:54
Print Post

Shrigley Hall is the EE site in that area.

Do you have a postcode you can post?

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-18 23:21:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I use cellmapper, both the app and the site. The site allows you to move towers to their correct locations, if you know them.
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-18 09:08:45
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Sure, the postcode is SK10 5RZ.

My client has since decided to go ahead with 4G broadband fromhttp://notspotbroadband.com/ on an 18 month contract. Just too much uncertainty as to whether the nearby fibre installation will make it up the lane any time soon. The clincher compared to a home installation by John and me of the EE service directly was that Notspot can easily obtain the £350 grant which offsets the installation cost from notspot.

But I am intrigued which EE mast our tests were picking up but haven't had chance to pop back out to the site to investigate further.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 10:52:44
Print Post

What is their install cost?

EE will visit and install antenna for the same service for £100, so should not be much more than that given all that notspot seem to be doing is some admin to collect voucher - note in some counties the consumer has to get the voucher themselves, i.e. handing it all over to a firm to apply for voucher may be against terms of a voucher scheme.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to