General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garmcqui
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-18 15:15:50
Print Post

Use unlimited data sim in 4G router?

[link to this post]

Hi all, my phone data plan is unlimited (with 3). Now obviously this is meant for a phone only, however I am wondering what the chances of this working in my D-Link 4G LTE router are?

I am assuming Three would be able to detect the different device, is this using the MAC address? I ask as the D-link router has a function to clone a MAC address.

Thanks!

Gareth

Edited by garmcqui (Fri 08-Jun-18 15:37:06)

Standard User kganly1989
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-18 22:27:47
Print Post

Re: Use unlimited data sim in 4G router?

[re: garmcqui] [link to this post]

Hi, I think I used my old three phone sim with the unlimited data plan before in a 4g router without any issues. I went into a three store only in the last few days to get a new plan they were offering a 40gb £30 a month rolling contract. The guy in store asked why etc and then showed me a new offer that wasn't advertised on the website. He said it was an unlimited plan for £35 a month rolling using a phone sim card and not data sim card (I think they are the same anyways). He explained the was a new european ruling in the last week or so giving the public free use to do what ever they wanted to do with their sims.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jun-18 22:41:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by garmcqui:
Now obviously this is meant for a phone only, however I am wondering what the chances of this working in my D-Link 4G LTE router are?

Low. Three have multiple ways to detect the type of usage and many are types that a phone would not access.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 (since 2 Jun 14) - at 470m distance
Sync as of 24/Jun/18 - 62,153 / 9,441 - G.INP enabled with 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LuaKT
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-18 01:03:11
Print Post

[re: kganly1989] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kganly1989:
Hi, I think I used my old three phone sim with the unlimited data plan before in a 4g router without any issues. I went into a three store only in the last few days to get a new plan they were offering a 40gb £30 a month rolling contract. The guy in store asked why etc and then showed me a new offer that wasn't advertised on the website. He said it was an unlimited plan for £35 a month rolling using a phone sim card and not data sim card (I think they are the same anyways). He explained the was a new european ruling in the last week or so giving the public free use to do what ever they wanted to do with their sims.

Do you have any more info about this? I couldn't find anything about a recent EU ruling

Thanks
Standard User BranH
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-18 09:45:05
Print Post

[re: LuaKT] [link to this post]

Can't find any ruling but this is pointing to an investigation about things such as traffic management and tethering.
Ofcom opens net neutrality investigation into Three and Vodafone
Standard User LuaKT
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-18 15:15:01
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BranH:
Can't find any ruling but this is pointing to an investigation about things such as traffic management and tethering.
Ofcom opens net neutrality investigation into Three and Vodafone

Thanks, looks like there hasn't been any decisions yet unfortunately
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletin...
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jul-18 14:38:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by garmcqui:
Hi all, my phone data plan is unlimited (with 3). Now obviously this is meant for a phone only, however I am wondering what the chances of this working in my D-Link 4G LTE router are?

I am assuming Three would be able to detect the different device, is this using the MAC address? I ask as the D-link router has a function to clone a MAC address.

Thanks!

Gareth

They would block you and sending you a warning - thrd time lands a early disconnection bill for abuse of their T & C's

Not a game you want to play
Standard User lltfdaniel
(regular) Wed 08-Aug-18 18:50:48
Print Post

[re: LuaKT] [link to this post]

If your after unlimited tethering then look at virgin media mobile, virgin mobile now do unlimited data for £25 and you have to be a virgin customer already to get the deal, which means a telephone customer or tv or broadband from them.

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/unlimited-data/

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/02/virgin-mobile-is-la...

Edited by lltfdaniel (Wed 08-Aug-18 18:51:48)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Aug-18 21:15:05
Print Post

[re: lltfdaniel] [link to this post]

Three now also don't bother with detecting what's using what.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-18 12:00:46
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

So i can put my AYCE sim in a 4g modem?
  Print Thread

Jump to