General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-18 10:38:39
Print Post

Re: Type 3 NAT on this EE4G home broadband..found no fix ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

The fix I use to get a static IP on a 4G connection is to use the AAISP L2TP service - it is basically a VPN that emerges in AAISP's world, and gives you static IPv4 and a block of static IPv6 addresses. For non-business users it is £10pm and has a 1TB monthly cap.
You ideally need a router than can open a L2TP connection and route everything through it. AAISP have some helpful guides covering the setup for some routers (but not mine).
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-18 11:49:18
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Came here to say this. A VPN is the way to resolve this issue, probably running on a router or pfsense box you put behind the 4G modem.

Will make all your nat issues go away.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Oct-18 08:36:27
Print Post

Can you be more elaborate and explain whats needed, this is a white 4gee box and has a micro/nano sim in it, i need a router that supports sim cards and do i do away with this 4g ee box provided by EE.

I used to use a Netgear Nighthawk for conventional broadband and way better then BT provided equipment.

Not sure about setting up this VPN and other stuff you talk about, according to EE there is no way around this type 3 issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Oct-18 08:42:33
Print Post

Are you using EE and could you tell me exactly what i need and how i set all this up please.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Thu 04-Oct-18 16:07:08
Print Post

I'm using Three rather than EE, but L2TP is independent of the broadband connection (4G or otherwise) that you use. It is an outgoing VPN, which will work over a 4G connection, which basically provides a tunnel for outgoing and incoming traffic.
There are some guides at https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Incoming_L2TP
Ideally you'd set your 4G router to always run the L2TP session so that your whole network benefits, but you can do it from a single computer if you prefer (or to test it out if without having to buy a suitable router).

Actually I've just checked, and the Nighthawk should do everything you need. Just plug the EE modem into the WAN port of the Nighthawk, and then use the OpenVPN feature of the Nighthawk to set up the L2TP VPN. (it is easier said than done, but that's the overall picture...)
The AAISP L2TP can be cancelled at any time, so no long contracts, and at £10 per month it won't cost much to test it out. Try just getting what you have working with the Nighthawk first, then go for the L2TP.

Edited by sheephouse (Thu 04-Oct-18 16:22:33)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Oct-18 08:30:36
Print Post

Thanks mate i will look into this but its sounds mighty complicated i have to say,dont i have to subscribe to a VPN to get this working and are you sure it will stop the strict Nat issues /type 3 on all consoles.
Standard User robnicholson
(member) Fri 05-Oct-18 09:29:10
Print Post

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

Well that was a bit of information I wasn't aware of, lack of a public IP address assigned to just your router. Although I'm surprised that games require port forwarding setting up as that's hardly a simple task for a casual gamer.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Fri 05-Oct-18 13:39:19
Print Post

Yes, you do need to subscribe to a VPN. I use the AAISP L2TP VPN which is a nice simple and trustworthy VPN which is intended to get around your sort of issue rather than hide your activities as some less reputable VPNs are intended for.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:39:43
Print Post

Really need a step by step guide mate as this is way over my head, what router do i need to do this, it has to be a sim based router that accepts the micro/mini sim associated with this EE4G routers,i know some need adapters for the sim based routers, people mention billion routers and others, if i was to buy one it would be a high end one for sure but i really need help in sorting all this out.

Sort of a idiots guide like you are trying to educate a 12year old, i know how to get into routers and change certain stuff but i have never set up a VPN or had issues with NAT before on normal standard fibre broadband so this is a massive challenge to me.

Does the new router with a VPN completely solve this type 3,as i do not want to have to go to a expense if it does not workout has to be fool proof and guaranteed to work.

Im all ears for links on what i need, like i said it has to work and i don't want basic equipment ,have no issues spending £200 plus on a sim based router that will solve my problem, but i really need help setting all this up once i have the VPN and the new equipment.

Im guessing the new router has to be connected to the EE4G router or is this not required ?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:10:52
Print Post

Setting up a L2TP VPN on a router is a lot easier than it sounds!! You have 2 options:

1) Buy a router such as the Billion 8900AX which is 4G/LTE ready router and use the 'L2TP' connection method (should give you this option during the setup wizard). Enter the supplied AAISP L2TP username, password, and server/IP address and Bobs yer uncle smile

2) Hook up a new standalone router to you existing router and setup connection as 'L2TP'type. Probably worth buying a TP Link model as they're very user friendly and are reasonably priced.
You can play around with a TP Link software emulator (dummy) here to see how it easy it is:

https://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/C1900v2_...

Edit: Also worth considering the TP Link MR400 router which is another 4G router - however wifi performance won't be as good as the Billion 8900:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-4691...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 13-Oct-18 12:25:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to