General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:04:02
Print Post

Re: Type 3 NAT on this EE4G home broadband..found no fix ?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Once again frog thanks for all you have done and all your help ,support and recommendations,i shall take a gander and make a decision wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:06:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Even though i don't understand a lot of what you saying its becoming clearer by the day, thanks for the informative post appreciated.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:15:15
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Even though i don't understand a lot of what you saying its becoming clearer by the day, thanks for the informative post appreciated.

This may help:

a) Think of NAT as a security guard into your office. Anyone who works there can go out and come back no problem, but anyone who tries to get in who doesn't work there is stopped by the guard. (So "port forwarding" is telling the guard to let some people in).

b) There is a wall around your city, which also has guards. Anyone from the city can go out and back, but nobody can get into the city who doesn't live there. (These guards don't work for you, and you can't tell them what to do, there is no "port fowarding")

The office is the router in your house, and the city is EE.

To make your game work you have to do this:
* Dig a tunnel from inside your office, under your guards, all the way out of the city and under the city walls. Put a sign on the entrance to the tunnel saying "to play the game come this way"! The sign shows other people how to connect to your game, which is at the moment stopped by the two sets of guards.

L2TP is technology to build the tunnel. AAISP is the company that sells tunnels for a monthly price. However you need to buy the right shovels and supports to ensure the tunnel does not collapse. (This is the new router)

You have to dig the tunnel into the existing ground (EE router), but the shovel needs to have the right type of edge to dig into the hard ground (ie, the router you need to get has to have the right options, your existing Netgear MIGHT but many don't.).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 14-Oct-18 14:19:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 18:36:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Brilliant simple explanation mate and well worded and easy to understand [I'm getting there]

You see in this technical world the majority of us buy a router with a Adsl/Fibre Connection ,login user/password and never touch it again and everything generally works.

We may allocate a new wifi password....[simples] and we may turn on a few options but basically it works and there are no Nat issues or having to Port/forward or run a VPN.

To be fair im probably coming over as quite thick but believe it or not on certain things i am quite savvy and that includes technical stuff [But Sadly no so much Broadband wise] as basically its generally plug and play and there is no real day to day issues.

So if a 3rd party router and a VPN solves the Nat issues why don't EE sort it out, thats the bit i struggle with,is it that hard to give you a static ip.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 18:45:58
Print Post

Why not this one frog [Just curious]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Configuration-Requ...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-18 19:27:27
Print Post

Why not this one frog [Just curious]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Configuration-Requ...

Yeah the MR200 would also do the trick (it supports an external antenna) but its 5ghz band wireless speed is only up to 433 Mbps whereas the MR400 supports up to 867 Mbps on the 5ghz band - thats assuming you're using 802.11ac wifi. If you can live with slower wifi speeds on the MR200 then go for this instead.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 14-Oct-18 19:28:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 20:11:03
Print Post

So if a 3rd party router and a VPN solves the Nat issues why don't EE sort it out, thats the bit i struggle with,is it that hard to give you a static ip.

Yes - with say 20 million customers they have to do things large scale. If your game is the only problem and everything else works, perhaps the game studio should change things.

Also with 20 million customers giving everyone a static IP ver 4 is now hard. There arenít enough left!

As internet providers the mobile networks have more customers than the biggest traditional ISPs.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 14-Oct-18 20:13:25)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sun 14-Oct-18 22:03:32
Print Post

This router definitely supports L2TP without window client? I may pick this one up if so as its a reasonable price compared to the others. The research i've done on it has made me hesitant.

Example: https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?85697-Arche...

Regards
Michael.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 03:59:57
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

According to the specs on tp link website it does support L2TP:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-4691...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 08:06:13
Print Post

Think i will look at the original one you listed then, or even the billion wink

Edited by time2die (Mon 15-Oct-18 08:06:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to