General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 09:34:13
Print Post

Type 3 NAT on this EE4G home broadband..found no fix ?

[link to this post]

Recently moved house to Wales and found out we had a so called fibre connection that had a line speed of 1mbps which in all honesty is a complete waste of time, looking at the options someone mentioned mobile broadband 4g with EE.

Package for 200gig capped each month is a bit of a joke but it was the only option to get better speeds after telling BT there so called fibre line was not fit for purpose and cancelling.

Even installed the exterior arial at a cost of £100,all is fine and dandy and we get download speeds of around 80/100 which is exceptional .....But the dreaded Type 3 NAT which EE claimed would work for online gaming and that is a complete lie.

Initially when i inquired with EE about the device i was told it was fine with gaming [thats a lie] because with this mobile home router for starters the inner system menu does not have the facility of most 3rd party routers or options and the fact that now when using my Playstation 4 and Xbox One and Nintendo switch i get strict nat [type 3]

I have tried turning on the DMZ and this makes absolutely no difference and i don't even know why this is, does not seem to be a way to port forward and i have racked my brains spending hours on the internet trying to find a way around this, was even going to invest in another 3rd party router with a sim card to see if this would help, but reading various posts this won't make any difference.

Anybody suffering the same NAT issues ? with this system, anyone know any possible answers to get this of type 3.

Even spoke to a so called technical guy at EE who claimed he had the same problem but his manger told him how to fix it, promised to ring me back with this claim but sadly he never did,personally i think he confused himself with the normal EE broadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-18 09:51:02
Print Post

Re: Type 3 NAT on this EE4G home broadband..found no fix ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

What actual game are you having the problem with?

NAT is very common and a game needing extra settings tweaked is rare, unless you are the host of a match

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 10:12:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sometimes i connect and sometimes joining online games takes forever, the game in question is The last of us from Naughty Dog,a fantastic but frustrating online game 4 v 4.

To be honest i have not tried playing much because of all i have read about type 3 Nat not been suitable for online gaming.

I would just like the option to take it from type 3 to at least type 2 or even fully open type 1 if that was a option.

Edited by time2die (Sun 30-Sep-18 10:54:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 10:24:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
NAT is very common and a game needing extra settings tweaked is rare, unless you are the host of a match

My complete guess would be related to the fact this is cellular. Wouldn't the problem be "double NAT", given the cellular network is doing CGNAT (on IPv4 at least) and the router will be doing NAT ?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 10:49:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Seen a lot regarding this CGNAT you mention and the way mobile comes into the house as opposed to conventional line broadband ?

To be honest i do not really know what this CGNAT means or for that matter what is Ipv4 means' have seen mention that if it was Ipv6 it would not have the Nat issues.

I asked about online gaming with this mobile broadband and EE told me there would not be any issues which in reality is not true.

Have been on the EE forums and this NAT is a common problem and as of yet i have not found a single fix, played with the server settings on the playstation as mentioned by posts that i have found but to no avail and running the test i still get Type 3 regardless of what changes i make inside the EE router or consoles.

I would have thought switching the DMZ button to on would have solved this problem, however nothing changes which is odd ?

This below is one of many posts regarding this issue on the EE Mobile 4g forums.

Re: 4gee wifi box PS4 nat type 3 issue
‎10-02-2018 07:35 PM
EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net. This is unlike fixed BB.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by time2die (Sun 30-Sep-18 10:55:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 14:04:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Seen a lot regarding this CGNAT you mention and the way mobile comes into the house as opposed to conventional line broadband ?
To be honest i do not really know what this CGNAT means or for that matter what is Ipv4 means' have seen mention that if it was Ipv6 it would not have the Nat issues.

Yes, the mobile network is quite different. When you buy conventional broadband you get what is called a "public IP address" assigned from the connection to your home router. Then you share that IP address with all the devices you have in the home, typically via WiFi and sometimes by Ethernet cables. The technology that is used to do the sharing is NAT = Network Address Translation.

Typically in mobile networks the IP address you are assigned is not a public one. It is one that has already been shared through a big router by the mobile network. This is known as CGNAT = Carrier Grade Network Address Translation.

It is the same as if you had conventional broadband and connected your PC or Game system to a router, then connected that router to the main one that connected to the internet.

What is unclear is if EE offer a mobile broadband service that does not have this restriction. On a phone or tablet it is not typically a problem. On a home connection it can cause problems, that you are getting.

I asked about online gaming with this mobile broadband and EE told me there would not be any issues which in reality is not true.
It will probably depend very much on the game itself.

Have been on the EE forums and this NAT is a common problem and as of yet i have not found a single fix, played with the server settings on the playstation as mentioned by posts that i have found but to no avail and running the test i still get Type 3 regardless of what changes i make inside the EE router or consoles.
Yes because you can only change one of the routers, there is one inside the EE network that you can't touch.

I would have thought switching the DMZ button to on would have solved this problem, however nothing changes which is odd ?
No because that only works when you don't have NAT happening in the network. You can't control what happens inside the EE network. Only on your router.

You would have to ask EE if they can supply a "public IP address" to the router, in the same way as their conventional fixed line broadband. If they cannot, it is not suitable for your specific game.

Some mobile networks have offered public IP addresses in the past, notably Three on data connections, but I don't know if they still do. There is an extreme shortage of IP addresses which is forcing this.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-18 07:41:46
Print Post

Thanks for taking time out to explain mate, appreciate it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-18 17:39:40
Print Post

You're welcome.

Standard User marcusjclifford
(committed) Mon 01-Oct-18 22:09:58
Print Post

This is the exact reason I use Three.

They are the only mobile provider I've found that as part of their standard package offer a real public IP address.

I use it as my backup Internet connection and it works great with port forwarding / DMZ / anything else just as my standard ADSL2+ line does. It is a dynamic IP address, which is not ideal, but understandable. I just use DynDNS to give it a DNS name and use that.

I use my own 4G device (a RUT950) and router (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter).

The downside of Three is the (currently) lower usage allowance and slower speeds (but still very quick) compared to EE.

Aquiss Home 30
On Exchange ESSTC - via edinbugh-ipsc
Speedtouch 585v6 on BT Filtered Faceplate
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Oct-18 23:33:18
Print Post

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

I thought Three did that but only on data plans. Not on voice plans.

Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-18 10:38:39
Print Post

The fix I use to get a static IP on a 4G connection is to use the AAISP L2TP service - it is basically a VPN that emerges in AAISP's world, and gives you static IPv4 and a block of static IPv6 addresses. For non-business users it is £10pm and has a 1TB monthly cap.
You ideally need a router than can open a L2TP connection and route everything through it. AAISP have some helpful guides covering the setup for some routers (but not mine).
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-18 11:49:18
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Came here to say this. A VPN is the way to resolve this issue, probably running on a router or pfsense box you put behind the 4G modem.

Will make all your nat issues go away.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Oct-18 08:36:27
Print Post

Can you be more elaborate and explain whats needed, this is a white 4gee box and has a micro/nano sim in it, i need a router that supports sim cards and do i do away with this 4g ee box provided by EE.

I used to use a Netgear Nighthawk for conventional broadband and way better then BT provided equipment.

Not sure about setting up this VPN and other stuff you talk about, according to EE there is no way around this type 3 issue.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Oct-18 08:42:33
Print Post

Are you using EE and could you tell me exactly what i need and how i set all this up please.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Thu 04-Oct-18 16:07:08
Print Post

I'm using Three rather than EE, but L2TP is independent of the broadband connection (4G or otherwise) that you use. It is an outgoing VPN, which will work over a 4G connection, which basically provides a tunnel for outgoing and incoming traffic.
There are some guides at https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Incoming_L2TP
Ideally you'd set your 4G router to always run the L2TP session so that your whole network benefits, but you can do it from a single computer if you prefer (or to test it out if without having to buy a suitable router).

Actually I've just checked, and the Nighthawk should do everything you need. Just plug the EE modem into the WAN port of the Nighthawk, and then use the OpenVPN feature of the Nighthawk to set up the L2TP VPN. (it is easier said than done, but that's the overall picture...)
The AAISP L2TP can be cancelled at any time, so no long contracts, and at £10 per month it won't cost much to test it out. Try just getting what you have working with the Nighthawk first, then go for the L2TP.

Edited by sheephouse (Thu 04-Oct-18 16:22:33)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Oct-18 08:30:36
Print Post

Thanks mate i will look into this but its sounds mighty complicated i have to say,dont i have to subscribe to a VPN to get this working and are you sure it will stop the strict Nat issues /type 3 on all consoles.
Standard User robnicholson
(member) Fri 05-Oct-18 09:29:10
Print Post

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

Well that was a bit of information I wasn't aware of, lack of a public IP address assigned to just your router. Although I'm surprised that games require port forwarding setting up as that's hardly a simple task for a casual gamer.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Fri 05-Oct-18 13:39:19
Print Post

Yes, you do need to subscribe to a VPN. I use the AAISP L2TP VPN which is a nice simple and trustworthy VPN which is intended to get around your sort of issue rather than hide your activities as some less reputable VPNs are intended for.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:39:43
Print Post

Really need a step by step guide mate as this is way over my head, what router do i need to do this, it has to be a sim based router that accepts the micro/mini sim associated with this EE4G routers,i know some need adapters for the sim based routers, people mention billion routers and others, if i was to buy one it would be a high end one for sure but i really need help in sorting all this out.

Sort of a idiots guide like you are trying to educate a 12year old, i know how to get into routers and change certain stuff but i have never set up a VPN or had issues with NAT before on normal standard fibre broadband so this is a massive challenge to me.

Does the new router with a VPN completely solve this type 3,as i do not want to have to go to a expense if it does not workout has to be fool proof and guaranteed to work.

Im all ears for links on what i need, like i said it has to work and i don't want basic equipment ,have no issues spending £200 plus on a sim based router that will solve my problem, but i really need help setting all this up once i have the VPN and the new equipment.

Im guessing the new router has to be connected to the EE4G router or is this not required ?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:10:52
Print Post

Setting up a L2TP VPN on a router is a lot easier than it sounds!! You have 2 options:

1) Buy a router such as the Billion 8900AX which is 4G/LTE ready router and use the 'L2TP' connection method (should give you this option during the setup wizard). Enter the supplied AAISP L2TP username, password, and server/IP address and Bobs yer uncle smile

2) Hook up a new standalone router to you existing router and setup connection as 'L2TP'type. Probably worth buying a TP Link model as they're very user friendly and are reasonably priced.
You can play around with a TP Link software emulator (dummy) here to see how it easy it is:

https://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/C1900v2_...

Edit: Also worth considering the TP Link MR400 router which is another 4G router - however wifi performance won't be as good as the Billion 8900:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-4691...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 13-Oct-18 12:25:01)

Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:42:39
Print Post

Your Nighthawk router can run a VPN, and your 4G modem can be connected to it - you don't necessarily need a single router to do what you want. I would try that first and only spend big money when you are happy with the overall solution.
AAISP have some guides for their service at https://support.aa.net.uk/Category:Incoming_L2TP
You may need to google for details of how to configure your Nighthawk or any other that isn't on AAISP's list. Other VPN providers probably have setup instructions too.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 13:30:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks both for your help and support appreciate all news regarding this issue, looks like first of i need a Vpn ,im just confused as to how this will give me a type 2 nat opposed to the type 3 I'm getting now, if i get a shared ip from EE how will this change.

I know i probably sound thick here and I'm asking similar questions but generally my configuration of routers is basically putting my ip username/password in and hey presto.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 13:32:14
Print Post

Sorry Frog but what exactly is L2TP and also what is AAISP.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 13:51:07
Print Post

https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-l2tp.html jchamier posted that link on my post.

Have a read through that. aaisp are an ISP. They do a good job explaining what L2TP is and who they are.

Michael.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 14:05:13
Print Post

Sorry Frog but what exactly is L2TP and also what is AAISP.
AAISP, (Andrews & Arnold ISP) is consistently the highest rated in the country on sites that look beyond the big four. For instance, this site's.

This AAISP L2TP page will help you. In particular:-
We offer a service to allow you to make use of our Internet Access service but without having a broadband line from us!

The service uses a standard system called Layer Two Tunnelling Protocol (L2TP) which allows you (using suitable s/w or equipment) to connect to us via another Internet Access service, and via that, to make use of our service.

Not all ISPs are equal, and A&A customers find our service very useful. We have many features that people appreciate including fixed IPv4, a block of IPv6, no censorship or monitoring. A good technical support team. Good peering and connectivity. And simply the right attitude to privacy and human rights.

Some technical issues you may encounter with other ISPs include dynamic IP or blocking of incoming ports; making it hard or impossible to run servers on your connection; or worse still Carrier Grade NAT (where there are extra layers of NAT within your ISP). Our service can allow these issues to be bypassed.

Using this service allows people to use us as their ISP via another ISP. Sadly, this does not fix congestion and speed issues in the other ISP, but it can address many other issues.
As you can see, they specifically say it bypasses the problem you have with EE CGNAT.

Edit: I posted jchamier's link again to avoid you needing to jump around, and was drafting this post before woodmass's latest was present.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Oct-18 14:07:23)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:09:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that RobertoS that is some really useful information and its much appreciated.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:14:05
Print Post

Reading through that it looks like a positive solution and i will be giving them a ring on Monday regarding what you have just posted...Many thanks again that is really helpful mate.

I guess many people use abbreviation and generally think we all know what they mean when we dont,not blaming the useful and helpful spots before yours as they were really helpful to me, just needed to clarify some of the wording, to be fair i thought AAISP was some sort of broadband jargon and router setting if im honest until you just pointed me in the right direction.smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:15:57
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Cheers matey have read many just trying to get my head around this issue and the problems I'm having,obvioulsy though i missed the AAISP bit.

Apologies ...wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:21:03
Print Post

Don't really want to use EE4G router and another one so can someone tell me the best Billion router or other model that will do what i need once i have sorted out a VPN from this AAISP.

Preferably without having to use a sim adapter in the new router ,one that accepts what this ee4g sim card uses, to be honest i don't recall exactly if its a micro sim or mini sim.
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:45:05
Print Post

The Billion 8900AX-2400 is the best Billion router which does what you want but I suggest you buy the router from Amazon for peace of mind (free returns within 30 days). Billion support (phone & forum) are excellent, in case you get stuck and need help with any of the router settings.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 13-Oct-18 15:45:50)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:57:39
Print Post

Of course, I'm the same to be honest. I try my best to absorb all the information going but it does become confusing this tech talk smile

Please keep us updated if you can. I'm very interested to see how you get on and if it fixes your issue.

Best of luck
Michael
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:00:44
Print Post

Cheers frog then thats the router i will be looking at .smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:02:40
Print Post

Will be on this on Monday with the router Frog suggested and this VPN from AAISP thing smile

Will tell you how i progress no problem, be great to not get a Strict Nat,i just needed convincing i am not wasting money here.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:24:56
Print Post

You mean this one Frog..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gi...

I dont seem to find those model numbers and i don't seem to have seen anything regarding a sim card,looks more like a Adsl router with other options, then again i guess most are and just sim card based routers would be pretty pointless in reality ,especially if you went back to fibre in the future if connection improved.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:38:20
Print Post

Re: Type 3 NAT on this EE4G home broadband..found no fix ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:54:42
Print Post

Apologies, the Billion 8900AX-2400 does not allow you to insert a 3G/4G sim inside the router. It requires a mobile data dongle to be connected to one of its USB ports.

The Billion model you need is the Billion 4500NZ which does allow you to put a data sim inside the router and offers L2TP VPN connectivity:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-4500NZ-Embedded-Wir...

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/4G-LTE/BiPAC-4500N...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:00:36
Print Post

Also before splashing out the cash on AAISP's L2TP service, you can test out this free L2TP VPN service on the new router to see if it works. Obviously use the UK server:

www.freel2tpvpn.com

Using the above I created a L2TP VPN connection in Windoze 10 and i got around 15 Mb/s on a 300 Mb/s FTTP line. I'm sure AAISP's L2TP service will be faster though.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 13-Oct-18 17:14:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:07:44
Print Post

15Mb/s or 15MB/s?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:14:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
15Mb/s or 15MB/s?

Yep 15 Mb/s, to be expected though considering its a free service.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:15:03
Print Post

Frog seriously mate you have lost me in this technology,at present this EE4G router has some setting in it but none of them seem to do anything ,instead of port forwarding they have Virtual server ,they have UPNP switched on,I have enabled DMZ [did nothing] and that is suppose to open up virtually everything.

Do you mean test this on my existing Netgear Nighthawk that has been assigned to one of my plastic storage boxes.

Dont want to be a pain Frog and i appreciate all your help and advice put you would have to explain in baby steps exactly what i am meant to do here.

Besides why would i be wasting money when yourself and others have suggested this and saying it will works dont really like the idea of running a lan cable from the EE4G box into the Netgear Nighthawk,but i ma guessing you want me to see if what you suggest works.

All im after is no type 3 or Strict Nat which i am getting on all consoles,im also confused as to the 4g coverage i have here once i use another routers,i took out the option of the EE external arial and at present i have gone from under a meg on BT fibre [cancelled] to 80/100 download on this 4g service but with the NAT issues.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:17:46
Print Post

Cheers mate glad i wanted and did not get impatient.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:26:36
Print Post

Does it use a Micro sim slot or do i need an adapter, looking at the information i see it takes a sim but im not sure if its the same as the one in the EE4G router which when looking was micro sim.

I am sure i read somewhere else about 6 weeks ago that he bought one of these routers but had to buy and adapter ?
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:26:36
Print Post

I meant test out the free L2TP VPN on the new 4G/LTE router.

However you may not even need to setup a VPN as a different 4G/LTE router could simply not give you the same issues. So once you receive the router, just test it out with your existing SIM and report back if the same issues exist. Take things one step at a time smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:29:02
Print Post

Ok mate will do ,many thanks smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:32:38
Print Post

When i spoke to the technical people at EE they told me it makes no difference what 3rd party router you buy it is not going to change as i asked this question the first day i set it up and connected my consoles and got Strict Nat on all of them.

To be honest i am stuck in a rock and a hard places this EE4G is a blessing in disguise for broadband connection given our shocking BT fibre speed, but the downside is i am a avid gamer and Type 3 is the last thing i want.
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:40:56
Print Post

Perhaps not surprisng EE would say that, they want you to use their own router rather than a third party one. But even if the third party router gives you the same cgnat issue, at least you can setup a VPN tunnel (L2TP) on it - which I'm pretty sure you cannot do on the EE router.

Re: Billion 4500NZ, it has a mini-sim card slot (2ff type) according to the user manual so you may need an adaptor.

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowle...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 13-Oct-18 17:41:36)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:50:40
Print Post

Cheers again Frog much appreciated.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 18:06:25
Print Post

Im guessing Mini is what they call standard, looking at all these adapters i get the micro sim to normal so they say but no Mini....wink
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 18:07:51
Print Post

What version of nighthawk router do you have? I could try my very best to explain a step by step guide using the free l2tp information baby_frogmella gave.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 18:11:02
Print Post

When i spoke to the technical people at EE they told me it makes no difference what 3rd party router you buy it is not going to change as i asked this question the first day i set it up and connected my consoles and got Strict Nat on all of them.

Correct. Even if you had a game console with an EE SIM inside you would have this 'strict' NAT problem. It is ONLY a problem for some games. It doesn't affect business users, or those doing video calling, which is why there is little help.

The free EE 4G router is basic, as you would expect for free. It works for everyone whom isn't a gamer.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-18 18:16:23
Print Post

Thats a good question mate, shall go into the storage tomorrow pull it out and let you know, again much appreciated to all you guys trying to help me out.

Just checked its a D7800. [Model Number]
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 19:41:33
Print Post

Alright. Here's my best shot. This is all from the user manual. I got no clue if this will work but no harm in trying. I couldn't find anything related to L2TP in the vpn section, only in WAN section. This could be completely wrong. I hope other forum members correct me if i am and i'll promptly remove it to save my embarrassment smile

Edit: I don't think this will work. If you do want to try with your current router i think you would need to download the windows client that the router links too and follow those steps instead of the ones below.

Once you have your D7800 plugged in and connected from your 4gee router into your wan port, follow these instructions. Make sure the device you're using is connected to your D7800 via wifi or ethernet.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.

2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens.

3. Enter the modem router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. The BASIC Home page displays.

4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup. The WAN Setup page displays.

5. From the WAN Preference menu, select Must use Ethernet WAN. By default, the menu selection is Must use DSL WAN.

6. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved and the modem router restarts

7. Select BASIC > Internet. The Internet Setup page displays.

8. From the Select Country menu, select the country in which you use the modem router.
The Select Country menu is not available in all countries and might be masked out.

9. From the Select Internet Service Provider menu, select the Internet service provider (ISP) that you are using. If your ISP is not in the menu, select Other.

10. Make sure that the Enable This Interface check box is selected.

11. Scroll down to the Does your Internet connection require a login? section and select the Yes radio button.

12. Click on "internet service provider" and click on L2TP in the drop down menu.

13. Use the username and password from http://www.freel2tpvpn.com/ (UK server) Input the username in the "login" field and the password in the "password" field.

14. Click apply and test it.

My source should you want to check it yourself or other forum members. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7800/D78...

Edited by woodmass14 (Sat 13-Oct-18 20:04:03)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 08:36:08
Print Post

Thanks for all that Woodmass i appreciate all your time and effort but i think i will just wait until i get the new Billion router as suggested by Frog and go from there.

Think i will also subscribe to the AAISP service and sort out some sort of VPN,these are the suggestions and i think i will go down that route,im going to probably need help once i have all this stuff.

Again your help is very much appreciated and please keep watching these forums as i think your knowledge will help me out if i encounter issues.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 09:02:05
Print Post

Im not liking some of the reviews of this router on Amazon Frog,constant drop outs and clunky interface ?

Is there a Netgear or D/Link replacement.
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-18 09:21:14
Print Post

Im not liking some of the reviews of this router on Amazon Frog,constant drop outs and clunky interface ?

Is there a Netgear or D/Link replacement.

Billion stuff is normally very good quality, however a cheaper (& possibly better) alternative is the TP Link MR400. This is a dual band ac router so you will probably get better wifi coverage. The Billion is just a single band wireless N router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-AC1350-Unlocked-Wi-...

https://www.tp-link.com/dk/products/details/cat-4691...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 14-Oct-18 09:24:32)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 09:48:02
Print Post

Not about cheap mate its about reports ,reviews and quality, i have always fancied a Billion Router but have tended to use netgear products in the past,i like Amazon and we have prime account like most,unfortunatly this one you listed is not shipped by amazon for next day and it could be as late as Oct 25th which is way to late.

Every time i use a 3rd party seller on Amazon i have late delivery issues even when they claim its only a few days.

Is there any Netgears ?.

Really could do with one that support external Ariel that we had fitted for the EE router to boost 4g signal performance.

Again reading through the reviews apparently this one does not and has has fixed internal aerials.

Im probably over thinking all this stuff but it cost us £100 to have EE send around a fitter and it does improve the signal quality in a big way, would be a shame to have a router and not use the outside source,i read that someone bought a router ,not a d/link but a Huawei router and had to use a adapter for his EE external router.

Edited by time2die (Sun 14-Oct-18 09:58:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 10:42:01
Print Post

Is there any Netgears ?.

You need a router that has two critical features:
* Supports L2TP VPN connections
* Supports Ethernet WAN (sometimes called 'EWAN")

If you have these, you plug the Ethernet WAN into the EE router you already have, and then enter the L2TP information into the web page.

My ASUS supports L2TP VPN but the information given in the thread before sounded as if your Netgear doesn't have the right option. Under L2TP it needs to have server name, user name and password. Many don't have the server name box which would make it useless for your needs.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Oct-18 10:53:41
Print Post

Does the EE router need to be in bridge mode to feed the EWAN?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 11:35:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does the EE router need to be in bridge mode to feed the EWAN?

I don't expect any such setting, these routers are basic. But if there was, it would make no difference.

The EE router doing NAT is unimportant, the network is doing CGNAT, which is causing the entire problem. No "bridge" or "port forward" that can be done to the EE router can fix the problem. The only way to resolve is to connect outbound (where double layers of NAT doesn't matter) to another service, that returns a real public IP to the internal router.

(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-18 11:56:45
Print Post

If you want to buy a Netgear 4G router, then you will need to go for the R7100LG - it takes a micro-sim card:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R7100LG-100EUS-Nigh...

However like the Billion, the Netgear also doesn't allow external antennas to be connected.

If using external antennas is important, then go for the TP Link MR400 as this has SMA connectors to which you can connect external antennas. Despite being a budget brand, Tp Link kit is usually good quality and is very user friendly. Its a shame Amazon aren't directly selling the MR400. However I've bought stuff from CCL before and never had any issues when sending back opened/used goods for a refund.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/245867/ARCHER-MR40...

Edit: Amazon.de themselves are selling the MR400 (they deliver to blighty & also offer free returns within 30 days)
https://www.amazon.de/TP-Link-Archer-MR400-Dualband-...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 14-Oct-18 12:12:05)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:04:02
Print Post

Once again frog thanks for all you have done and all your help ,support and recommendations,i shall take a gander and make a decision wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:06:59
Print Post

Even though i don't understand a lot of what you saying its becoming clearer by the day, thanks for the informative post appreciated.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 14:15:15
Print Post

Even though i don't understand a lot of what you saying its becoming clearer by the day, thanks for the informative post appreciated.

This may help:

a) Think of NAT as a security guard into your office. Anyone who works there can go out and come back no problem, but anyone who tries to get in who doesn't work there is stopped by the guard. (So "port forwarding" is telling the guard to let some people in).

b) There is a wall around your city, which also has guards. Anyone from the city can go out and back, but nobody can get into the city who doesn't live there. (These guards don't work for you, and you can't tell them what to do, there is no "port fowarding")

The office is the router in your house, and the city is EE.

To make your game work you have to do this:
* Dig a tunnel from inside your office, under your guards, all the way out of the city and under the city walls. Put a sign on the entrance to the tunnel saying "to play the game come this way"! The sign shows other people how to connect to your game, which is at the moment stopped by the two sets of guards.

L2TP is technology to build the tunnel. AAISP is the company that sells tunnels for a monthly price. However you need to buy the right shovels and supports to ensure the tunnel does not collapse. (This is the new router)

You have to dig the tunnel into the existing ground (EE router), but the shovel needs to have the right type of edge to dig into the hard ground (ie, the router you need to get has to have the right options, your existing Netgear MIGHT but many don't.).

Edited by jchamier (Sun 14-Oct-18 14:19:35)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 18:36:58
Print Post

Brilliant simple explanation mate and well worded and easy to understand [I'm getting there]

You see in this technical world the majority of us buy a router with a Adsl/Fibre Connection ,login user/password and never touch it again and everything generally works.

We may allocate a new wifi password....[simples] and we may turn on a few options but basically it works and there are no Nat issues or having to Port/forward or run a VPN.

To be fair im probably coming over as quite thick but believe it or not on certain things i am quite savvy and that includes technical stuff [But Sadly no so much Broadband wise] as basically its generally plug and play and there is no real day to day issues.

So if a 3rd party router and a VPN solves the Nat issues why don't EE sort it out, thats the bit i struggle with,is it that hard to give you a static ip.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 18:45:58
Print Post

Why not this one frog [Just curious]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Configuration-Requ...
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-18 19:27:27
Print Post

Why not this one frog [Just curious]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Configuration-Requ...

Yeah the MR200 would also do the trick (it supports an external antenna) but its 5ghz band wireless speed is only up to 433 Mbps whereas the MR400 supports up to 867 Mbps on the 5ghz band - thats assuming you're using 802.11ac wifi. If you can live with slower wifi speeds on the MR200 then go for this instead.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 14-Oct-18 19:28:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-18 20:11:03
Print Post

So if a 3rd party router and a VPN solves the Nat issues why don't EE sort it out, thats the bit i struggle with,is it that hard to give you a static ip.

Yes - with say 20 million customers they have to do things large scale. If your game is the only problem and everything else works, perhaps the game studio should change things.

Also with 20 million customers giving everyone a static IP ver 4 is now hard. There arenít enough left!

As internet providers the mobile networks have more customers than the biggest traditional ISPs.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 14-Oct-18 20:13:25)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sun 14-Oct-18 22:03:32
Print Post

This router definitely supports L2TP without window client? I may pick this one up if so as its a reasonable price compared to the others. The research i've done on it has made me hesitant.

Example: https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?85697-Arche...

Regards
Michael.
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 03:59:57
Print Post

According to the specs on tp link website it does support L2TP:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-4691...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 08:06:13
Print Post

Think i will look at the original one you listed then, or even the billion wink

Edited by time2die (Mon 15-Oct-18 08:06:46)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 08:57:21
Print Post

Getting a little confused with all these router suggestions Frog and have looked up many of the reviews on YouTube and other sites.

As expected you can not please everybody and there are many negative comments with various routers, after some thought i think the Billion router you first mentioned is the one that gets better comments than the TP Link 400 you also suggested.

Just want to make sure i am getting the right one, this is the one im thinking of getting as its available at Amazon......Whats your thoughts again ?,is this the right choice for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gi...
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:00:12
Print Post

Looking at the emulators for MR200 and MR400 (here and here respectively) it seems they don't support L2TP - only IPSec VPN client. AFAIK AAISP don't allow other VPN protocols (PPTP, OpenVPN & IPSec), so you would need to subscribe to another VPN provider such as NordVPN and use their UK server for a IPSec connection. However this is likely to be slower than AAISP's L2TP service.

You're better off going for the Billion 4500NZ which definitely supports L2TP VPN (more info on pages 103-104 in user manual)

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:01:55
Print Post

Will do mate winkjust posted a comment about the Billion.
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:03:13
Print Post

Yep, that;s the right choice for the Billion 4500NZ. Ignore the negative reviews, as you say no router will get 100% positive reviews.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:25:57
Print Post

Just ordered it,Prepare yourself for a barrage of questions and Help wink.

Not sure now if i should sort out this VPN with this AAISP or wait and see what happens with this Router ?
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:37:35
Print Post

Just ordered it,Prepare yourself for a barrage of questions and Help wink.

Not sure now if i should sort out this VPN with this AAISP or wait and see what happens with this Router ?

Donít pay for any vpn service just yet. First try the new router to see if the same cgnat issues exist. If they do, then try out the free l2tp service I linked to earlier to see if that successfully works and resolves the cgnat issue. Only then subscribe to AAISPs vpn service as it will be faster than the free one. Good luck!

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:39:47
Print Post

Many thanks Frog for all your help and support, would have been completely in the dark without your knowledge and the other posters on here smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 09:41:49
Print Post

Not sure how this would solve the issue without a VPN,it will have the EE sim card provided and EE login details, its different machine granted but why do you think its possible that i would not get Strict Nat on the Billion opposed to the EE Router provided.
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Oct-18 10:47:12
Print Post

Most likely you will get the same issue on the Billion router but better to be sure first, hence why I suggested you donít subscribe to a paid vpn service just yet.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-18 17:05:00
Print Post

So how did you get on with the Billion 4500NZ?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 19-Oct-18 20:52:31
Print Post

I'd like to know as well smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Oct-18 08:02:12
Print Post

Don't laughs still have it in the box as its been here since Tuesday,quite frightened to set it up if I'm honest and i have not messed with it yet as my girlfriend was on overseas conference calls and i did not want to mess stuff up, going to sort out a VPN Monday and sort it out then so i will let you know or be back on here for help.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Oct-18 08:03:09
Print Post

Don't worry guys as soon as i have unboxed it and sorted VPN i will let you guys know for sure.wink

One thing has become apparent though, should i inform EE that i am not going to be using there 4G router but my own Billion Router,should i also tell them because of there issues and there strict Nat i am going to be using a VPN to try and bypass these issues.

I read this on the AAISP website....
You will need an L2TP client device (a FireBrick can do this), or software. Important - this is NOT an encrypted L2TP or L2TP over IPsec, it is simple L2TPv2 over UDP. Your ISP could be monitoring and logging your communications, though it is unclear if current legislation would permit them to look inside the L2TP tunnel.

Edited by time2die (Sat 20-Oct-18 10:38:55)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 20-Oct-18 13:00:51
Print Post

No, you don't have to let EE know. As for the other technical stuff.. No clue smile
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Oct-18 13:25:38
Print Post

As woodmass14 has said no need to to let EE know, they wouldn't care anyway.

As for L2TP not being encrypted, AAISP are just letting any potential criminals know that their L2TP VPN is not bulletproof like OpenVPN and use of their VPNservice for any nefarious activities will almost certainly get picked up by the authorities. Nothing for you to worry about smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Oct-18 14:17:56
Print Post

No need to tell EE

The AAISP note is just to ensure you understand that it is possible for an ISP to look inside since the tunnel is not encrypted

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to