General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 11-Oct-18 15:10:38
Print Post

Can anyone recommend a good 4g router?

[link to this post]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 11-Oct-18 18:09:05)

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:27:38
Print Post

Re: Can anyone recommend a good 4g router?

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Although it was 'free' with my Three connection the https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-High-speed-Wireless-... is surprisingly good. It gets decent speed, has very good wireless distance for such a little thing and I attached an external 3g/4g aerial to get an even better signal.

Saved me when moving as I didn't have internet at home for two weeks ...
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:39:57
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Thank you for the recommendation! Seems to have good solid reviews for it and it has the 4 ethernet ports which is a plus. Exactly what i needed.

Thank you
Michael.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:50:07
Print Post

It does sound good, but I was confused by your "need" for four ports. I would have though one would be enough, to feed the one you currently distribute from round the house.

If that doesn't have a spare ethernet port for the input a small switch should work fine, or maybe feed one of the Access Points from a later one.

Edit: Just realised, my idea probably requires gigabit ethernet between the wireless router and the current main one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 12-Oct-18 14:52:11)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-18 15:13:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I did expand in my original post but decided to delete most of what i said. I explained about taking advantage of threes recent removal of their 30gb hotspot to unlimited. Just from what i read it's a touchy subject at the moment and didn't want to start anything or feel the need to explain my reasoning for taking advantage.
Edit: Plus the need for 4 ethernet

Anyhow, i live in an old cottage with thick walls insulated to high heaven. My current setup has 3 routers connected to my main for every bedroom in the house via ethernet. I could do what you're thinking but i'm very minimalistic. If i don't need 2 then all the better.

Michael

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 12-Oct-18 15:18:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Oct-18 15:19:13
Print Post

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-18 15:31:05
Print Post

The high end Billion 8900AX does what you want, it aint cheap at 242 notes though!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gi...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-18 15:43:36
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Oh i also like that one. It's very pricey though. I like the idea of the fail over option it has should 4g fail me. I did plan on cancelling my ADSL service but i'm tempted to keep it around.

Thanks for the recommendation

Michael.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-18 16:06:27
Print Post

No worries.

If you're willing to sacrifice some of the features on the 8900AX, then also consider the Billion 4500NZ which is a pure 4G/LTE router only. Again its not cheap (£208) but Billion kit is normally very high quality and will last you many years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Gi...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-18 17:15:24
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

But having such a thing and not a standard EE4G router does this solve the NAT Type 3 problems which I'm getting with EE and the 4G router.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to