General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 09:19:16
Print Post

Re: Billion Bipac 4500nz Update.

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Cheers frog but i have not got the AAISP set up yet as there was little point when we could not get this Billion router working.

When using the 192.168.1.1 would that not just login to the EE4G router, thats what i do at present,that would be 2 routers using the same I.p
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 09:24:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Its got 4 yellow ethernet ports and 1 red , i just need clear precise instructions ?

Edited by time2die (Fri 02-Nov-18 10:07:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Nov-18 10:20:03
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Change the Billionís own LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.254 first.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 02-Nov-18 10:22:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 10:34:37
Print Post

Sounds like the red port is the WAN port. To be sure, which Netgear model is it?

Before you subscribe to AAISP, you can test out the free L2TP service here on your Netgear.

https://www.freel2tpvpn.com

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:08:47
Print Post

it's a netgear nighthawk mate as stated [D7800].

I just need a step by step simple guide explained like you are trying to help a 10 year old over a phone service.

Yeah Frog you mentioned the free L2TP service earlier on in the thread, again I'm hopeless and trying to set this up is not simple for me
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:10:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Im not using the Billion thats been sent back,it will be the original EE4G provided box and a Netgear Nighthawk d7800.
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:43:21
Print Post

Ok great, you will be able to setup a L2TP VPN on this.The red port on the D7800 is definitely the WAN port to which you will need to connect the EE router to. But before you do this, do a hard reset to remove previous settings and change the IP address of the router to avoid a conflict with the EE router (you said earlier it also uses 192.168.1.1)

After the router has been reset, connect your PC to it, select 'manual configuration settings' once you get the wizard setup screen.

Follow the instructions on page 191 in the D7800 manual (here) under To Change the LAN IP Address settings. I suggest you change 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.2.1 to keep things nice and simple.

Once this is done, follow the instructions on page 74 of the manual under Specify a Cable or Fiber Connection With a Login and PPTP or L2TP Service .Under Internet Service Provider choose L2TP.

Then to test out the free L2TP VPN:
Login: freel2tpvpn.com
password: 3172
server address: uk.freel2tpvpn.com

Hit apply/save. If necessary reboot the Netgear, hook up the D7800 to the EE router and once you connect to the Netgear it should give you a tunnel connection to the free VPN service. Speeds won't be great as its a free service (i couldn't get more than 15 Mb/s in Win 10 on a 300 Mbps FTTP line) but at least you will know if you've set up the router correctly.

Good luck! smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 02-Nov-18 11:45:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Nov-18 12:03:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Im not using the Billion thats been sent back,it will be the original EE4G provided box and a Netgear Nighthawk d7800.
The same would have applied to the Netgear, as the second router, but I see baby_frogmella has given different instructions about that, and far more detailed instructions. I suggest you go with his.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 15:38:56
Print Post

Cheers once again Frog for all your help, still confused though mate when you say connect to the Netgear router and hook it up to a PC ,Mackbook does not have a Ethernet socket needs a Ethernet to Usb converter which i have somewhere.

Or can i connect with the router through a IP address in the browser which would be easier, also when you say connect i am guessing that the Netgear is wired to the EE router or not ?

Am i changing the subnet mask also or leaving that as it is ?,could do with you frog on some chat line help support.

seriously though frog your help is exceptional but i really think this is beyond me, even though you seem to word it all very clear, to me its far from clear but some of it i understand and some of it i don't .

Remember here i have no normal broadband connections have just plugged in to Netgear router and done the factory reset you suggested, i am now thinking i need to login to this router without it been connected to the EE router and change the IP as you suggested [is this correct] i have no ethernet to usb at hand so i will have to use this Mac Browser .

Edited by time2die (Fri 02-Nov-18 15:51:18)

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:02:07
Print Post

No worries. On the underside of your Netgear router (nr serial #), there should be a wifi password and wifi network name, eg

2.4ghz wifi: netgear01455
password: tiddlywinks755

Connect to such a wifi network from your PC and then go to 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com from your PC's browser.

PM me to see if we can get chatting in real time but I'm going out now for a bit, won't be back home until 7pm-ish.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to