General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:07:45
Print Post

Re: Billion Bipac 4500nz Update.

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

How about we have a go tomorrow ok ,thanks a lot frog wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:11:01
Print Post

wi/fi is not going to work on this router is it unless its connected to Broadband,are you suggesting i just plug this Netgear into the mains and then connect to it in wireless mode with no BT connection ,telephone line etc .
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:14:42
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Correct, you can still connect to the router's setting page through your browser even without an internet connection.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:15:38
Print Post

What i will say Frog is the technical support was excellent and this is just 2 guys in a London office taking all technical calls regarding Billion Products.

The wait to speak was literally mere minutes and the guy tried very hard to get it sorted ,even setting up the same router with a Pay as you go EE sim which he claimed worked fine.

He did say though this was a sim only deal and not a contract ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:17:16
Print Post

Thats the spitting image of my Nighthawk router and extremely pricey isn't it wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:19:10
Print Post

Sorry frog....What does L2TP actually mean.smile
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 02-Nov-18 18:58:19
Print Post

You can connect an ethernet to your consoles and use the web browser the console provides, should you want to use ethernet still. Shouldn't be an issue doing it via wi-fi though.

Oh and good luck!

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 02-Nov-18 18:58:58)

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 20:56:54
Print Post

Yeah Billion phone support is very good, far better than more mainstream brands such as Netgear, Asus, Linksys et al.

Re: meaning of L2TP VPN, I'll try not to confuse you with technical mumbo jumbo and keep things simple wink Think of L2TP (Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol) as a method of connecting to another network. However L2TP is just 1 method (protocol), there's a few others all with different degrees of security (encryption)

The well known ones are:

PPTP
L2TP
L2TP/IPSec
OpenVPN

PPTP is the fastest but also the least secure of VPN connection methods. L2TP is better but again without suitable encryption. L2TP/IPsec is fully encrypted and is probably the best in terms of security versus speed. OpenVPN is the ultimate method when it comes to security but this comes at a cost: it is the slowest of all VPN protocols due to the large overheads it uses to secure the tunnels. OpenVPN isn't 100% secure (no VPN protocol is!) but it would take many, many, many years to crack open an OpenVPN tunnel so realistically its bulletproof.

If you wanted to keep your browsing history away from the prying eyes of MI5/GCHQ then you would use OpenVPN preferably at router level to secure your browsing. Routers such as the Asus ROG GT-AC5300 or RT-AC86U are the ones highly recommended for running OpenVPN server/client. However setting up OpenVPN on a router isn't for the faint hearted!

Where security isn't that important (eg unblocking geo restricted websites or getting around CGNAT issues like in your case) then using a PPTP or L2TP VPN is the easiest/fastest method which is why AAISP offer this VPN method.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:23:25
Print Post

Just to update others, the OP has taken out a L2TP VPN service from AAISP and successfully setup this on his spare Netgear D7800 as a L2TP connection.

Where the AAISP L2TP VPN settings were entered:

https://i.postimg.cc/zvQqdgvR/Netgear-D7800.jpg

He no longer has CGNAT issues on his 4G EE connection smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:41:02
Print Post

And this Guy to me is my Saviour,10 weeks since having to opt with EE4G router and 4g service NAT issues and certain gaming has plagued me, i have trolled EE sites and the internet in general looking for answers and baby_frogmella has finally helped me get this sorted.

Can not thank this guy enough as he has spent at least 4 hours with me over chat on WhatsApp sorting this issue out and advising me what to do and where to go in router settings and what to input.

Even gave me his personal VPN as we could not get the free trail version to work ?

But today i subscribed to the AAISP service as suggested by Frog and others.

Anyway once again i can not thank Frog Enough and i also thank all others that may or may not have added some useful information in solving this eventually.

I don't know why with so many people in the know and when i search Google for Strict Nat Issues and Type 3 a VPN does not seem to come up as a solution ?

Many Thanks My technical Friend.....Timey is extremely Happy wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to