General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Nov-18 15:48:56
Print Post

Billion Bipac 4500nz Update.

[link to this post]

So finally after having it here for 2 weeks and not setting it up i finally unboxed the item in question.

First thoughts for a product that cost £220 notes ...Cheap feel and cheap look and far prefer Netgears based on what I'm touching.

Anyway to cut a long story short and having spent the best part of 90 minutes with Billion tech support ,neither him or me could get this to connect to the internet, constant red internet light regardless of what we did and what setting/passwords/ect was changed.

Found the Billion Interface horrible and not user friendly,slow and sluggish in changing pages which sort of just hangs for a minute if you know what i mean, save changes and you are just starring at the same page you changed with no indication its doing what you asked.

Anyway its boxed ,going back to Amazon as im totally frustrated with what should be a simple procedure and a few minutes of set up, not convinced its faulty it just seemed not to find the IP Address and i do hope this is not EE blocking it.

And just yo add insult to injury when chatting to the Billion guy about Type 3 Nat and setting up a VPN,told him i was achieving download speeds of around 90/100 with this 4g Connection for him to tell me he had tested the 4500nz and i would be lucky to achieve 10 download when using a vpn on this device after routing traffic.

So that put another dampener on it, anyway now in the market for another product [Not billion ] Really was not in processed with the quality of this for the money, seemed very cheap and nasty, i know generally most routers are just plastic but the weight and the feel of this did not scream out to me this is worth £220.

Complete pain from start to finish, convinced it still some setting that nether myself or the tech guy at Billion had figured, at one point i had to disconnect the 4500 and reconnect the 4g router to see if that would connect because he thought the sims pin was blocked [not the case].he even sent me his settings for his router and a ee4g connection and that did not work either.

I know i keep saying this and repeating myself but that has to be the worse router and interface i have ever come across, i have always had Netgears and i know they are not perfect ,but compared to Billion routers in my opinion in looks and feel and interface and ease of use they are far superior.

So anyone with any other options would be cool, would be nice if there was one that used the EE external Ariel i had fitted for starters' [twin feed] new this one did not but i have read there are others that do.

Oh and this is not having a go at you guys that recommended certain routers, if this had worked and i was not so frustrated i doubt i would be dishing the dirt on it.

Daft question but I'm asking, if this type 3 Nat is solved by a VPN then is it not possible to set this up on the EE4G router without buying a 3rd party router.

Edited by time2die (Thu 01-Nov-18 17:08:15)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Nov-18 19:52:14
Print Post

Re: Billion Bipac 4500nz Update.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Daft question but I'm asking, if this type 3 Nat is solved by a VPN then is it not possible to set this up on the EE4G router without buying a 3rd party router.

You just need a router that can do VPN that plugs into the EE router. Unless you must have a one-box solution, the router you buy does not need to worry about the 4G connection.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Nov-18 20:09:33
Print Post

Very surprised to hear the Billion didn't work, either it was faulty or isn't compatible with EE's 4G service.

As you're already familiar with Netgear routers, go for the Netgear R7100LG. If this doesn't also work then its fair to say EE are probably blocking the 3rd party router and your only option is to use a 2 box solution, ie plug any 3rd party router (which supports a L2TP VPN connection) into the EE supplied router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R7100LG-100EUS-Nigh...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Nov-18 20:36:58
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
then its fair to say EE are probably blocking the 3rd party router

Why would you suspect this? When you can buy EE data SIMs and put them into a mobile hotspot, or tablet, or laptop of your choice? EE don't need to block routers.

I suspect the Billion does not have hardware accelerated VPN, which would be a reason for the throughput to be slow. AAISP don't use encryption, but the L2TP wrapper needs to be handled.

A cheaper solution is a router without any 4G/LTE support. Since the point is to create a VPN outbound, then it doesn't matter plugging a VPN box into the EE supplied 4G modem!!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm

Edited by jchamier (Thu 01-Nov-18 20:38:46)

(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Nov-18 21:01:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
then its fair to say EE are probably blocking the 3rd party router

Why would you suspect this? When you can buy EE data SIMs and put them into a mobile hotspot, or tablet, or laptop of your choice? EE don't need to block routers.

I suspect the Billion does not have hardware accelerated VPN, which would be a reason for the throughput to be slow. AAISP don't use encryption, but the L2TP wrapper needs to be handled.

A cheaper solution is a router without any 4G/LTE support. Since the point is to create a VPN outbound, then it doesn't matter plugging a VPN box into the EE supplied 4G modem!!

Yes I'm aware that an EE data sim should work in any device but if the OP was to buy the Netgear (or any other 4G router) and it still didn't work - then its clear its an issue on EE's side rather than the hardware being used. Reading his opening post he wasn't able to get any sort of internet connection on the Billion, never mind a slow VPN connection. And if the same was to happen again on another 3rd party router...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 01-Nov-18 21:02:44)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Nov-18 21:18:59
Print Post

Yes I'm aware that an EE data sim should work in any device but if the OP was to buy the Netgear (or any other 4G router) and it still didn't work - then its clear its an issue on EE's side rather than the hardware being used. Reading his opening post he wasn't able to get any sort of internet connection on the Billion, never mind a slow VPN connection. And if the same was to happen again on another 3rd party router...

Or the OP could use the EWAN port on the Billion.

The configuration of cellular connections is not obvious and not something there is lots of generic advice about.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 08:07:38
Print Post

I have a netgear nighthawk router that i used on our fibre connection before we moved here and had to go for EE4G as fibre is terrible.

You saying just use one of the ethernet sockets and plug that into the EE router.[then what ?]
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 08:09:33
Print Post

How exactly would i get this to work, what do i do once i connect the netgear router, what settings need to be changed.

Step by step guide would be useful please.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 08:54:19
Print Post

You saying just use one of the ethernet sockets and plug that into the EE router.[then what ?]

Only if your netgear has an Ethernet WAN connection (as used for cable connections). If it only has a DSL (phone line) connection then this won't work.

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 08:58:45
Print Post

On your Netgear router plug a LAN cable into its WAN/internet port from the EE router.

Then do a hard reset on the Netgear to remove your previous settings, there should be a tiny 'reset' hole on the back of the router.

In your web browser go to 192.168.1.1 and then 'internet' on left pane and where it says 'does your internet connection require a login?' select yes and then on the next box select 'L2TP'. Then enter your AAISP L2TP supplied login details in the subsequent boxes - at this stage I would give AAISP a call to ensure you're entering everything correctly.

Have a look at this sample Netgear emulator, it should be similar on your Netgear:

http://nickb.name/genie_emulator/192.168.1.1/start.html

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 02-Nov-18 09:07:06)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 09:19:16
Print Post

Cheers frog but i have not got the AAISP set up yet as there was little point when we could not get this Billion router working.

When using the 192.168.1.1 would that not just login to the EE4G router, thats what i do at present,that would be 2 routers using the same I.p
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 09:24:36
Print Post

Its got 4 yellow ethernet ports and 1 red , i just need clear precise instructions ?

Edited by time2die (Fri 02-Nov-18 10:07:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Nov-18 10:20:03
Print Post

Change the Billionís own LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.254 first.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 02-Nov-18 10:22:29)

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 10:34:37
Print Post

Sounds like the red port is the WAN port. To be sure, which Netgear model is it?

Before you subscribe to AAISP, you can test out the free L2TP service here on your Netgear.

https://www.freel2tpvpn.com

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:08:47
Print Post

it's a netgear nighthawk mate as stated [D7800].

I just need a step by step simple guide explained like you are trying to help a 10 year old over a phone service.

Yeah Frog you mentioned the free L2TP service earlier on in the thread, again I'm hopeless and trying to set this up is not simple for me
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:10:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Im not using the Billion thats been sent back,it will be the original EE4G provided box and a Netgear Nighthawk d7800.
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:43:21
Print Post

Ok great, you will be able to setup a L2TP VPN on this.The red port on the D7800 is definitely the WAN port to which you will need to connect the EE router to. But before you do this, do a hard reset to remove previous settings and change the IP address of the router to avoid a conflict with the EE router (you said earlier it also uses 192.168.1.1)

After the router has been reset, connect your PC to it, select 'manual configuration settings' once you get the wizard setup screen.

Follow the instructions on page 191 in the D7800 manual (here) under To Change the LAN IP Address settings. I suggest you change 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.2.1 to keep things nice and simple.

Once this is done, follow the instructions on page 74 of the manual under Specify a Cable or Fiber Connection With a Login and PPTP or L2TP Service .Under Internet Service Provider choose L2TP.

Then to test out the free L2TP VPN:
Login: freel2tpvpn.com
password: 3172
server address: uk.freel2tpvpn.com

Hit apply/save. If necessary reboot the Netgear, hook up the D7800 to the EE router and once you connect to the Netgear it should give you a tunnel connection to the free VPN service. Speeds won't be great as its a free service (i couldn't get more than 15 Mb/s in Win 10 on a 300 Mbps FTTP line) but at least you will know if you've set up the router correctly.

Good luck! smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 02-Nov-18 11:45:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Nov-18 12:03:06
Print Post

Im not using the Billion thats been sent back,it will be the original EE4G provided box and a Netgear Nighthawk d7800.
The same would have applied to the Netgear, as the second router, but I see baby_frogmella has given different instructions about that, and far more detailed instructions. I suggest you go with his.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 15:38:56
Print Post

Cheers once again Frog for all your help, still confused though mate when you say connect to the Netgear router and hook it up to a PC ,Mackbook does not have a Ethernet socket needs a Ethernet to Usb converter which i have somewhere.

Or can i connect with the router through a IP address in the browser which would be easier, also when you say connect i am guessing that the Netgear is wired to the EE router or not ?

Am i changing the subnet mask also or leaving that as it is ?,could do with you frog on some chat line help support.

seriously though frog your help is exceptional but i really think this is beyond me, even though you seem to word it all very clear, to me its far from clear but some of it i understand and some of it i don't .

Remember here i have no normal broadband connections have just plugged in to Netgear router and done the factory reset you suggested, i am now thinking i need to login to this router without it been connected to the EE router and change the IP as you suggested [is this correct] i have no ethernet to usb at hand so i will have to use this Mac Browser .

Edited by time2die (Fri 02-Nov-18 15:51:18)

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:02:07
Print Post

No worries. On the underside of your Netgear router (nr serial #), there should be a wifi password and wifi network name, eg

2.4ghz wifi: netgear01455
password: tiddlywinks755

Connect to such a wifi network from your PC and then go to 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com from your PC's browser.

PM me to see if we can get chatting in real time but I'm going out now for a bit, won't be back home until 7pm-ish.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:07:45
Print Post

How about we have a go tomorrow ok ,thanks a lot frog wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:11:01
Print Post

wi/fi is not going to work on this router is it unless its connected to Broadband,are you suggesting i just plug this Netgear into the mains and then connect to it in wireless mode with no BT connection ,telephone line etc .
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 16:14:42
Print Post

Correct, you can still connect to the router's setting page through your browser even without an internet connection.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:15:38
Print Post

What i will say Frog is the technical support was excellent and this is just 2 guys in a London office taking all technical calls regarding Billion Products.

The wait to speak was literally mere minutes and the guy tried very hard to get it sorted ,even setting up the same router with a Pay as you go EE sim which he claimed worked fine.

He did say though this was a sim only deal and not a contract ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:17:16
Print Post

Thats the spitting image of my Nighthawk router and extremely pricey isn't it wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-18 17:19:10
Print Post

Sorry frog....What does L2TP actually mean.smile
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 02-Nov-18 18:58:19
Print Post

You can connect an ethernet to your consoles and use the web browser the console provides, should you want to use ethernet still. Shouldn't be an issue doing it via wi-fi though.

Oh and good luck!

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 02-Nov-18 18:58:58)

(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-18 20:56:54
Print Post

Yeah Billion phone support is very good, far better than more mainstream brands such as Netgear, Asus, Linksys et al.

Re: meaning of L2TP VPN, I'll try not to confuse you with technical mumbo jumbo and keep things simple wink Think of L2TP (Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol) as a method of connecting to another network. However L2TP is just 1 method (protocol), there's a few others all with different degrees of security (encryption)

The well known ones are:

PPTP
L2TP
L2TP/IPSec
OpenVPN

PPTP is the fastest but also the least secure of VPN connection methods. L2TP is better but again without suitable encryption. L2TP/IPsec is fully encrypted and is probably the best in terms of security versus speed. OpenVPN is the ultimate method when it comes to security but this comes at a cost: it is the slowest of all VPN protocols due to the large overheads it uses to secure the tunnels. OpenVPN isn't 100% secure (no VPN protocol is!) but it would take many, many, many years to crack open an OpenVPN tunnel so realistically its bulletproof.

If you wanted to keep your browsing history away from the prying eyes of MI5/GCHQ then you would use OpenVPN preferably at router level to secure your browsing. Routers such as the Asus ROG GT-AC5300 or RT-AC86U are the ones highly recommended for running OpenVPN server/client. However setting up OpenVPN on a router isn't for the faint hearted!

Where security isn't that important (eg unblocking geo restricted websites or getting around CGNAT issues like in your case) then using a PPTP or L2TP VPN is the easiest/fastest method which is why AAISP offer this VPN method.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:23:25
Print Post

Just to update others, the OP has taken out a L2TP VPN service from AAISP and successfully setup this on his spare Netgear D7800 as a L2TP connection.

Where the AAISP L2TP VPN settings were entered:

https://i.postimg.cc/zvQqdgvR/Netgear-D7800.jpg

He no longer has CGNAT issues on his 4G EE connection smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:41:02
Print Post

And this Guy to me is my Saviour,10 weeks since having to opt with EE4G router and 4g service NAT issues and certain gaming has plagued me, i have trolled EE sites and the internet in general looking for answers and baby_frogmella has finally helped me get this sorted.

Can not thank this guy enough as he has spent at least 4 hours with me over chat on WhatsApp sorting this issue out and advising me what to do and where to go in router settings and what to input.

Even gave me his personal VPN as we could not get the free trail version to work ?

But today i subscribed to the AAISP service as suggested by Frog and others.

Anyway once again i can not thank Frog Enough and i also thank all others that may or may not have added some useful information in solving this eventually.

I don't know why with so many people in the know and when i search Google for Strict Nat Issues and Type 3 a VPN does not seem to come up as a solution ?

Many Thanks My technical Friend.....Timey is extremely Happy wink
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 20:21:10
Print Post

He no longer has CGNAT issues on his 4G EE connection smile

Fantastic result!

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 20:22:04
Print Post

I don't know why with so many people in the know and when i search Google for Strict Nat Issues and Type 3 a VPN does not seem to come up as a solution ?

For many people on a traditional connection they would not need a VPN to solve it, they just need a better router. Some internet providers in parts of the world don't let you change the router, or use a VPN, so it is not always that simple.

But in your case it was smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Nov-18 23:22:22
Print Post

That's good smile. Just an interesting typo below, (I hope wink):-
I have trolled EE sites and the internet in general looking for answers

Many Thanks My technical Friend.....Timey is extremely Happy wink
I think perhaps you meant "I have trawled ...", not "trolled" smile smile.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 00:58:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes correct matey wink.

What was i thinking in all my excitement of Frog fixing the issue in question ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 01:02:39
Print Post

Yeah but my question was not about a conventional normal adsl/fibre connection and i have always stated a mobile 4g one ?

Thats the question i was searching for answers for, i have always had normal connections before this house move and no NAT issues.

It was just long winded finding it and i bet there are many more out there who have similar issues with no fix, but up popped my Guardian Angel wink with the strange but cute name of Baby_frogmella.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 01:06:18
Print Post

I wonder now what would have been if myself and Frog just re/routed the connection through the Netgear Nighthawk without the VPN would that have made a difference to the NAT.

My guess is probably not, even though the Nighthawk does have some nice advance settings, anyway what do i know when it comes to technology...wink
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 06:29:15
Print Post

I wonder now what would have been if myself and Frog just re/routed the connection through the Netgear Nighthawk without the VPN would that have made a difference to the NAT.

No, you would have added more layers of NAT. The VPN is doing all the work to solve the problem.

My guess is probably not, even though the Nighthawk does have some nice advance settings, anyway what do i know when it comes to technology...wink

LOL

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 08:18:53
Print Post

Ok mate many thanks ,my thoughts exactly
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 07-Nov-18 13:26:53
Print Post

Glad to hear your issue was sorted! With all the helpful information Baby and others have left, i should have no problem setting my own up when the time comes.

Thanks
Michael.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 15:58:22
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Frog knows his stuff for sure, it was not plain sailing at first but that was not Frogs fault, the trial/free VPN service to test out the VPN and NAT issues did not work for some unknown reason and i bet we spent 60 minutes going through other settings before Frog realised something is not quite right.

You having the same issues then Woodmass ?

And to think i spent £220 notes on a Billion router [did not work sent back] when i had a router here that does the job anyway.

Yes I'm using 2 routers but hey ho !!!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 16:03:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Glad to hear your issue was sorted! With all the helpful information Baby and others have left, i should have no problem setting my own up when the time comes.

Thanks
Michael.

Easier said than done, even easier when you have that tech Guy on the end of a phone App.wink
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Nov-18 16:17:15
Print Post

the trial/free VPN service to test out the VPN and NAT issues did not work for some unknown reason

I think the reason why the free service on l2tpvpn.com didn't work on your Netgear was the free vpn service also requires - for additional authentication - a 'pre-shared key' which you cannot enter in the Netgear settings. Think of a 'pre-shared key' as an additional password. However when setting up the same service in Windows 10 or iPhone, there is an option to enter a pre-shared key so the free service works there without issues.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 16:26:24
Print Post

There you go you answered that also wink

Is that a setting that is in some routers but not my Nighthawk, thought you said it was a top class router frog smile
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 07-Nov-18 16:38:31
Print Post

That he does! And no, no ones fault at all. It's trial and error a lot of the time and in this case, it was.

No, not yet... I plan on getting a 4g router, not decided which one yet. I imagine i will run into similar issues with nat and ping problems. I plan to use a vpn/l2tp to sort said issues out if i have them. As for your router, the research i did do a couple of weeks back showed you could set it up on your other router. I just wasn't certain.

I'm glad it's finally sorted and that there is a sure fire way to fix it. I'm sure it will help a lot of people out who have similar problems.

How has your connection been since tunneling with AAISP? Stable? Decent latency?

Michael.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Nov-18 17:00:33
Print Post

Not done any online gaming Michael as of yet, tested and connected to games such as The Last of Us which for some reason I'm absolutely useless at.

Speeds on my EE4G connection with external Ariel are around 90/100 download, we tested after the VPN and i was getting 50/60 which is plenty.

Will update you when i test a few games online ,like Battlefield 5 in a week or so, but at present when i have the time I'm into Red Dead Redemption 2.wink
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 07-Nov-18 17:15:10
Print Post

Oh yeah, certainly plenty. I do plan to play the same games soon enough. So if you wouldn't mind letting me know how stable/response times are in multiplayer, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Michael
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to